Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Judas is a guilty pleasure but the lyrics and video make for the ultimate rock cliche. You'd swear he was being a heel with his Bon Jovi get up. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

"I'm becom, I'm becom',I'm,becom', I'm becoming! I'm becom', I'm becom', I'm becom', I'm becoming!! The Judas in, the Judas in my mind!!"

The musical ravings of a certified lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭ThePott

J. Marston wrote: »
    Speaking of wrestling music, this was released today...

What an odd combo.
    Jesus that song is tripe, cringey as hell too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ThePott wrote: »
    Jesus that song is tripe, cringey as hell too.

Have you never heard of Bowling For Soup before now? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

With the talk of WWE content potentially going to Amazon.
    I reckon within the next 20 years WWE will be bought by a major company like Disney or Amazon themselves.

It sounds far fetched. But who would have thought WWE would have bought WCW and ECW. That XFL would be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

They'll be selling Mania to Fox to broadcast live is my guess, but the company as a whole will probably not be bought by Disney or Amazon. It's not like a film studio, it's got too many moving parts

brianblaze wrote: »
    They'll be selling Mania to Fox to broadcast live is my guess, but the company as a whole will probably not be bought by Disney or Amazon. It's not like a film studio, it's got too many moving parts

Not really.
    Disney love their child friendly products which sadly WWE is and no sign of changing.

WWE has thousands of hours worth of video content and will produce more. Constantly adding to it. Disney is an entertainment based company. WWE is entertainment.

Have you never heard of Bowling For Soup before now? :pac:
    Lol, heard of but never listened to. Thought they had some reverence from people. Figured I'd give it a listen but Jeez not great.

Not really.
    Disney love their child friendly products which sadly WWE is and no sign of changing.

WWE has thousands of hours worth of video content and will produce more. Constantly adding to it. Disney is an entertainment based company. WWE is entertainment.

I can't see a world where Disney buy WWE. They buy studios, not touring entertainment groups. Maybe through a different arm of the company, like Fox perhaps, retaining existing corporate structures and just taking a dividend like a normal shareholder but unless Vince et al are sick of the business, I can't see it happening.

Putting WWE content on their streaming services would wipe out the need for the WWE network and wipe out the 1.5m - 1.6m existing subs they have paying $12-$15 p/month. They would also then 'lose' the money generated by the TV deal with Fox, as they would be under the Fox umbrella. Similarly, I can't imagine Fox wouldn't then move Raw and NXT to Fox as well when their deals expire.

Add that to the now reduced house show schedule, subsequent drop in merchandise sales etc, it would be a bad idea

Then that's where we have different opinions.

• Advertisement

I also don't think Disney would buy WWE. There's only one scenario I could see them benefitting from. Disney + would make no sense but similar to the UFC model I could see the deal they have whereby you could have past PPVs on ESPN Plus and if you have the ESPN Plus subscription you could buy a PPV live for a bit extra. Not sure it would make the most sense though it would really undercut the value of their product assuming they sold it at a reasonable price.

They're never gonna put PPVs back to full price. If they were to sell selective streaming rights for PPV it would have to be at a decent cost. It would basically be carte blance where you can buy the PPV if you have the ESPN subscription but it would have to really work out cheaper than the Network. On the other side that would make WWE look a bit daft as UFC sell PPVs through the service at full cost and it would further make the Network itself less relevant.

The other thing that I would put against the chances of a Disney purchase is that they really have no need for it. They own Hulu and Hulu has every WWE show you would need so what would be the benefit of buying them for something you essentially have. WWE would not fit in on Disney+ at all and if we're totally honest WWE need Disney a lot more than the other way around. I just don't know how much sense it would make. Amazon were apparently in talks with MLW so we'll see how than pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Flicking through the WWE website and reading up on the old belts. This picture is the header used for the ECW belt.

Can't place my finger on it, so gonna ask here; who is getting suplexed by Taz?

TAZECW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Flicking through the WWE website and reading up on the old belts. This picture is the header used for the ECW belt.

Can't place my finger on it, so gonna ask here; who is getting suplexed by Taz?

TAZECW.jpg

Mikey whipreck?

https://giphy.com/gifs/eE7UmDapfXI5y/html5

Kinda looks like his attire there (can't embed gif on phone)

Mikey whipreck?

https://giphy.com/gifs/eE7UmDapfXI5y/html5

Kinda looks like his attire there (can't embed gif on phone)

Ah that looks like him alright! Was driving me mad. Would never have guessed Whipwreck. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its finally happening but it could be awful

Sting vs taker

PTH2009 wrote: »

Sting vs taker

Just have them do entrances, stare down, then end it there. That'll be the peak of it.

Ah no. As long as Sting doesn't headbutt a door or drop taker on his head it might be passable.

Stem cell therapy strikes again

Sting's wcw music was way cooler than his WWE :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sting's wcw music was way cooler than his WWE :p

Same as Goldberg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sting vs taker

Source?
    brianblaze wrote: »
    Just have them do entrances, stare down, then end it there. That'll be the peak of it.

Ah no. As long as Sting doesn't headbutt a door or drop taker on his head it might be passable.

Stem cell therapy strikes again

Nope - aren't they gonna do entrances and embrace in the middle of the ring, while the Rainmaker camera goes into overdrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

they miss the embrace knowing wwe camera work these days

It would be a weird sight. When you think about it. As Taker will be 55 by then and Sting will be 61 as both wrestlers birthdays are in March.
    They could have had the match 20 years ago and they would have been 35 and 41. Crazy.

It would be a weird sight. When you think about it. As Taker will be 55 by then and Sting will be 61 as both wrestlers birthdays are in March.
    They could have had the match 20 years ago and they would have been 35 and 41. Crazy.

A number of stupid factors prevented it with Sting been stubborn and not trusting how he would be used cause of the disrespect Booker T got by the Rock in 2001. He would of been used very well in his prime

The promos and **** could still be amazing and it could be that last nostalgia trip of the old days

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Taker/Sting, it's best left in the past/what could've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Must say, I have wondered the same - why cant every girl be like Alexa Bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

A number of stupid factors prevented it with Sting been stubborn and not trusting how he would be used cause of the disrespect Booker T got by the Rock in 2001. He would of been used very well in his prime

The promos and **** could still be amazing and it could be that last nostalgia trip of the old days

It wasn't just Book, look at DDP, Goldberg. None of the WCW lads were used right in there first run and WCW was treated as a joke. Even do Sting was brought in well, I'm pretty sure in saying he never won a match in WWE including losing the big match with HHH, cause you know WWE had to win the "war".

The bella twins going into the HOF wtf ??

• Registered Users Posts: 60,567 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Liger rumoured to be going in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The bella twins going into the HOF wtf ??

Why are you shocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

There's plenty of room for male wrestlers to look relatively fat and sloppy, even at the top level. Mick Foley looked like a bum but was still hugely over in his day. Is there the same leeway for women in this era of the 'Women's Revolution'? It seems to me that it's a hard sell, and there's still a lot more pressure on female performers to look beautiful, and it sort of ruins the illusion of someone petite like Alexa Bliss being a legitimate competitor when put in the ring with, say, Awesome Kong.

Advertisement