Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Maybe he went for wrong service and was too embarrassed to admit his mistake?

I got the call records

*Phone Rings*

"Hello"

(Muffled Jack Gallagher on other end of call)

"Sorry. Its a bad line and I don't totally understand your accent"

(Muffled British talking)

"You want someone to what?!?!"

(More warbling)

"Ohhhh... a SHIP on your chest.... I thought I misheard you!!"

(Muffled embarrassed British acceptance of fate)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What the actual ****. Why does he have a massive ship tattoo on his chest ?

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So the birdies have something to fly around, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

He's from Manchester, and both United & Etihad City have a ship in their club logos. It's probably something to do with either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Officer999

Those tattoos all down his arm are new too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Reading both the Supershowdown and AEW threads just shows what states both WWE and AEW are in and direction their heading.

If AEW can land a big name signing that has mass public appeal, Moxley just doesn’t cut it, they have a real chance of putting WWE under pressure.

I really hope AEW can push on from here and make Vince sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Loughc wrote: »
    If AEW can land a big name signing that has mass public appeal

Then you're looking at someone from the past, nobody in their prime today has the mass appeal you're talking about, and AEW ain't putting the title on Goldberg or Hogan

I don't see the biggest guys atm switching, like Rollins or Reigns, and I can't think of anyone who would be a candidate for switching to AEW that wouldn't attract someone who's already a viewer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Then you're looking at someone from the past, nobody in their prime today has the mass appeal you're talking about, and AEW ain't putting the title on Goldberg or Hogan

I don't see the biggest guys atm switching, like Rollins or Reigns, and I can't think of anyone who would be a candidate for switching to AEW that wouldn't attract someone who's already a viewer

Then the question should be asked how will AEW push on from where they are now. Like WCW got lucky in the sense they signed Hogan Savage and then later Hall and Nash. All recognisable names that brought eyes to their product. Without them would WCW have pushed on like it did?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Loughc wrote: »
    Then the question should be asked how will AEW push on from where they are now. Like WCW got lucky in the sense they signed Hogan Savage and then later Hall and Nash. All recognisable names that brought eyes to their product. Without them would WCW have pushed on like it did?

True, but the equivalents of those guys for AEW now would be Cena, Orton, Batista and Edge to name a few, and none of those guys are jumping ship

I have no idea how they can push on tbh, can't write them off just because they can't poach any established guys even though it would help if it was the right guys

AEW seems to be building talent and utilising the Indys in the right way.

The crowd loves lots of their guys with zero WWE background, like Page, Cassidy, Lucha Express, MJF and Riho. They're building their own stars, and that's a good sign for me.

TNA made the mistake of either not pulling the trigger on stars at the right time (Monty Brown, Joe) or killing their own creations by feeding them to old dudes (Styles numerous times in this case specifically)

AEW have the scope to work with RoH and NJPW to bring in guys for a few months and to let others leave to work the Indies to get fresh again, which is what I can see happening in the next few months.

If AEW can build relationships with the other 'top tier' companies and continue to build their own creations, they have a lot of space to grow.

While WWE brings in celebrities and old timers and continue to make terrible creative choices, they are not making new stars. They've made one true "star" in the last 20 years, and that's Cena. Batista maybe too to a lesser extent.

There's no reason guys like Cody, MJF, and Omega can't be huge in a few years. Cody has become one of the best promos going, MJF is a prodigy on the mic and Omega is unreal in the ring. Future could be very bright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know there are many podcasts on wrestling out there but you know one that I really like is Arn Anderson’s podcast. It’s very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

While I agree AEW are doing the best with what theyve got, have they anyone with potential the potential of breaking through to be a household name like Cena, Rock, Austin..... right now the only one would be Jericho and hes passed it

While AEW have the potential of being big in wrestling circles, they are a long way off being mainstream. But to be fair it would he unrealistic to think they can reach there yet.

They are slowly building the brand.

A big celebrity endorsement went a long way in helping Vince, whether it was Mr T or Tyson. Something similar could do wonders for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

beakerjoe wrote: »
    While I agree AEW are doing the best with what theyve got, have they anyone with potential the potential of breaking through to be a household name like Cena, Rock, Austin..... right now the only one would be Jericho and hes passed it

While AEW have the potential of being big in wrestling circles, they are a long way off being mainstream. But to be fair it would he unrealistic to think they can reach there yet.

A big celebrity endorsement went a long way in helping Vince, whether it was Mr T or Tyson. Something similar could do wonders for them.

I reckon Orange Cassidy could be the breakout actually. A few celebs mentioning him on twitter since the PPV, got a commercial featuring him on TNT too and he can go in the ring. Time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

beakerjoe wrote: »

I still think Kenny Omega. He could be like the what AJ Styles was to TNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,567 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did anyone predict this lad would break out to be the biggest name in the world of wrestling and movies.

960.jpg

Or this generic CAW would carry the WWE on his back for over a decade.

Dguj1orW4AcT4c0.jpg

Or this Ringmaster would go on to be a bigger draw then Hogan.

a0a7787580504b8a15595e67bdd6341e--wrestling-stars-wrestling-wwe.jpg

The rock maybe given his family were wrestlers so he had a good shot at the wrestling part but the movies part I'd never have guessed.

Cena, no because my early memories of him is the picture above which is bland as ****.

Austin ? Well maybe not to outdraw hogan but take away that awful gimmick and Austin had shown in WCW that he was a top guy if given the chance. He was a tag champion, TV champion and US champ in WCW which is a nice run. The problem with WCW is you had the orange ego running wild so it was never going to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I reckon Orange Cassidy could be the breakout actually. A few celebs mentioning him on twitter since the PPV, got a commercial featuring him on TNT too and he can go in the ring. Time will tell!

In this era, with money behind them they can use platforms to buy profile for someone. They are already doing it imo when I see the amount of threads etc on wreddit.

Same way as any brand buys endorsement from people with reach.

The issue an AEW will be the same as TNA.

Wrestling in its own right does not have mass appeal. If you want wrestling fans you can get them but numbers are low.

If you want people used to the more mainstream version that WWE have then you need people they know (that hurst the AJs or Samoa Joe's) but can make you look inferior and damage the fans you have.

If you want the really casual, more influenced by buzz or pop culture person you need something else again and that again can cause problems if it does not take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I don't know. I think chasing the mainstream is a dangerous game. Look at TNA bringing in every ex-WWE and reality trash person they could get and the rating was always the same. AEW should focus on building it own stars and legacy. By all accounts, the TNT are happy with the show and the company is growing.

You make stars in a lot of ways, not just by having them associated with b level celebs or fading sports stars.

Tyson added loads to Austin.

Tyson Fury added f*ck all to WWE

The only comparable 'get' would be McGregor as a ref or something, and that's bad news for lots of reasons for any company.

AEW aren't trying to be a 'multi media conglomerate' or 'sports entertainment company' they're a wrestling company, with a slowly growing fan base and slowly building roster.

Works for them at the moment, and I hope it continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't really care about Matt Hardy showing up in AEW

It's all going to be "oh look this is how you do this broken/woken gimmick and **** wwe" etc

I'm sure he will do well there

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

There will be a week or two grace period and then everyone will realise he's still doing the same "I'm wacky and eccentric" gimmick from 2016.

J. Marston wrote: »
    There will be a week or two grace period and then everyone will realise he's still doing the same "I'm wacky and eccentric" gimmick from 2016.

He will be back in the wwe world in the next 5-10 years in not even earlier as the Hardyz are going into the wwe HOF someday

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Don't really care about Matt Hardy showing up in AEW

It's all going to be "oh look this is how you do this broken/woken gimmick and **** wwe" etc

I'm sure he will do well there

Plus, won't be technically a heel if he's with The Dark Order?! The fans will pop big for him.

Ideal situation is he debuts when the Dark Order say it's time to reveal the leader and then Brodie Lee big boots him into oblivion, revealing himself as the silent leader of the Dark Order. No need for promos, Uno is great at those. Just boots, all day, for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

brianblaze wrote: »
    Plus, won't be technically a heel if he's with The Dark Order?! The fans will pop big for him.

Ideal situation is he debuts when the Dark Order say it's time to reveal the leader and then Brodie Lee big boots him into oblivion, revealing himself as the silent leader of the Dark Order. No need for promos, Uno is great at those. Just boots, all day, for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,166 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You'd hope Harper has a new look. Physically, he looks deadly but the dirty white vest and baggy jeans that he mostly wore are very CAW template.

Do we think is lars Sullivan ever coming back to WWE TV ? His name popped into my head last night for some reason and wondered 1) will we ever see him back and 2) how many fans actually remember who he even is ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Do we think is lars Sullivan ever coming back to WWE TV ? His name popped into my head last night for some reason and wondered 1) will we ever see him back and 2) how many fans actually remember who he even is ?

Maybe the raw after mania , A return to NXT might be better for him I think

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Maybe the raw after mania , A return to NXT might be better for him I think

Dude is better away from the industry I'd imagine. Seems he has a lot of issues he needs to work out

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    You'd hope Harper has a new look. Physically, he looks deadly but the dirty white vest and baggy jeans that he mostly wore are very CAW template.
    09jwinvhefy01.gif

Suits him though

Advertisement