Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Given that we have a lot of free time on our hands. I rewatched the Austin vs Bret hart match from wrestle mania 13 and even 23 years later that match holds up. The shot of Austin bridging out of the sharpshooter with blood dripping down his face is iconic.

Storytelling at it's finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Bret doesn't get the credit he deserved. He dragged many to a passable match. Rarely had a bad match and elevated everyone he worked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Bret doesn't get the credit he deserved. He dragged many to a passable match. Rarely had a bad match and elevated everyone he worked with.

Bret gets grief for the same reason Punk does; bang on about a grudge for too long and people don't take you seriously anymore. Me personally though I always gravitate towards the personalities such as Punk and Hart. Prefer those to the media polished answers.

Will WWE be shooting in front of an empty arena going forward?

Presumably if the 'no gatherings' thing keeps in place they'd be better off getting a studio together in titan towers and just working out of there each week?

(apologies if already mentioned - just popped into my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,879 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Will WWE be shooting in front of an empty arena going forward?

Presumably if the 'no gatherings' thing keeps in place they'd be better off getting a studio together in titan towers and just working out of there each week?

(apologies if already mentioned - just popped into my head)

They have the performance centre in florida which they've used once already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah they're lucky they have the performance centre. As someone pointed out, wonder what AEW will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah they're lucky they have the performance centre. As someone pointed out, wonder what AEW will do.

I’d guess the Jaguars facilities but I’m guessing what will be the trouble with both aew and wwe is how they get the talent there

• Registered Users Posts: 60,568 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They are due to use the amphitheater in Jacksonville that they have used before for the next episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Colt Cabana just made the Wrestling Road Diaries doc available for free on YouTube. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/3wFn-Q5fS14

Watched the Bret hart broken skull sessions and it's a good interview.

- he really hates Goldberg to this day.
    - his relationship with vince according to him is good.
    - he takes Pride in the fact that he was a believable and safe wrestler
    - they talk about the Austin injury in his match with Owen hart which Austin seems to be over at this point. There seems to be no hard feelings.
    - Austin asks about Montreal and said with the brock lesnar issue in 2002 which was a factor in him taking his ball and going home and admiting he "worked himself into a shoot", he asks Bret did he do the same with Montreal which Bret kind of avoids the question.
    - he's not a fan of WCW and knew before he went there it was bad.

• Advertisement

Trailer for the new David Arquette documentary.

Mad he's not the most famous actor to be former World Champion now

Do you mean Rock and Cena? Or was there another actor that won the title?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Jon Moxley has "anonymously" donated thousands of dollars to indie wrestlers who have been hit hard by the Covid19 crisis.
    Can we start calling him Ted Danson now?

Do you mean Rock and Cena? Or was there another actor that won the title?

Rock and Batista mainly. Cena isn't really a star in movies yet

If going with wrestlers who became movie actors, Hogan would probably be more famous than Arquette. But Arquette is still the most famous to go from actor to champion. Or would that be The Miz, if the Real World counts

If going with wrestlers who became movie actors, Hogan would probably be more famous than Arquette. But Arquette is still the most famous to go from actor to champion. Or would that be The Miz, if the Real World counts

Rock will be number one now by far
    Batista probably number two
    Hogan is definitely one of the most recognisable, but not as an actor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think you're going off different metrics lads.
    I assume Castor means going from an actor to wrestling in which it would be Arquette cause all the others were wrestlers first aside from the Miz.
    The Rock is Number one as an actor inarguably, Batista number two (although he doesn't seem to have the intention of being a 'movie' star)
    Hogan had some big roles but was mostly in sh1te.
    Cena is following the Rock's careerpath and will be a much bigger deal by the time 2021 comes around but as far as fame and recognition is absolutely way up there.

Ah yeah, I just said former actor to be champion, didn't mean someone to start in movies and then go to wrestling!

Who's the most famous politician to be a wrestler?

Gonna say Abe Lincoln! Trump was only a part timer!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

brianblaze wrote: »

Who's the most famous politician to be a wrestler?

Gonna say Abe Lincoln! Trump was only a part timer!

Jesse the Body Ventura was Governor of Minnesota.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Jesse the Body Ventura was Governor of Minnesota.

Abe Lincoln was the president, and also more famous than Jesse

• Advertisement

Hogan is definitely one of the most recognisable, but not as an actor
    ThePott wrote: »
    Hogan had some big roles but was mostly in sh1te.

How can you say that about the star of such greats as Suburban Commando and Thunder In Paradise?

:pac:

Abe Lincoln was the president, and also more famous than Jesse

Also Lincoln cut a serious promo!

“I'm the big buck of this lick. If any of you want to try it, come on and whet your horns.”

?kv=238044&style=fullsize

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭ThePott

Pfft, we all know Lincoln was just a spot monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Here's some interesting trivia for you...
    Seems ol Dusty Rhodes blatantly stole his gimmick from a wrestler called Thunderbolt Patterson. Who was an African American wrestler who even in the deep south in the 60s was over like a mother fuc*er.

There's a match of his on the WWE network. I suggest people go and watch it. Dusty even stole his moves and "jive" like way of delivering.

Gas. Don't get me wrong dusty is still a legend. Just they say nothing is truly original. Guess this proves it.

Watched Ring of Honor for the first time in a while. It included Session Moth's first match for them against former champion Sumie Sakai

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's everyone's view on the Rock vs Hogan dream match

Was about 12 at the time and can't remember much from the match/rivalry but remember Hogan running the truck into the ambulance and the Rock making the challenge. After the mania match It was the start of the return of red and yellow Hogan with the NWO turning on him and the start of the diabolical downward spiral of the wwe version of the group

Should of been Austin vs Hogan apparently

PTH2009 wrote: »

Was about 12 at the time and can't remember much from the match/rivalry but remember Hogan running the truck into the ambulance and the Rock making the challenge. After the mania match It was the start of the return of red and yellow Hogan with the NWO turning on him and the start of the diabolical downward spiral of the wwe version of the group

If Rock v Hogan was empty arena as is planned this year, it would have been a terrible match. With an audience, amazing.

Empty arena wrestling is such a bad idea for Mania

Here's some interesting trivia for you...
    Seems ol Dusty Rhodes blatantly stole his gimmick from a wrestler called Thunderbolt Patterson. Who was an African American wrestler who even in the deep south in the 60s was over like a mother fuc*er.

There's a match of his on the WWE network. I suggest people go and watch it. Dusty even stole his moves and "jive" like way of delivering.

Gas. Don't get me wrong dusty is still a legend. Just they say nothing is truly original. Guess this proves it.

Sure thunderbolt Patterson is a legend but if most wrestlers had tried to come up with a completely original gimmick than ric flair would have been dull as ****.

PTH2009 wrote: »

I was 17 when mania 18 happened and I have a vivid memory of watching the ambulance crash raw with my mother who was a nurse and she get thick when hogan crashed the truck into the ambulance. She didn't take it well.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was 17 when mania 18 happened and I have a vivid memory of watching the ambulance crash raw with my mother who was a nurse and she get thick when hogan crashed the truck into the ambulance. She didn't take it well.

She shouldn't have parked there then...

Advertisement