Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not really I like Corbin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I hate him and not in the "good" way. Recent Daniel Bryan against Kofi, for instance, I can think "God, what a bastard!" when I'm listening to him.

Corbin though is instant look at my phone heat. His look is garbage, terrible promo and crowds don't boo when he comes out. They groan. When he was the constable and in 6 or 7 segments every Raw, it's no surprise the show hit record low ratings. Just last night when you had him in two matches and in the main event, the ratings dropped again. He's awful.

Rant over....but it won't be my last on Corbin!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I think WWE love him because he's a proper homegrown talent who was fully trained in the NXT system

He's probably the most successful one when it comes to NXT, that wasn't an established indy guy beforehand

It's a bit mad how he has some of the best moves going with Deep 6 and End of Days, yet I can't name a good match of his, he's another guy buried by the formulaic nature of main roster matches

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Controversial opinion: I like Baron Corbin.

He’s a heel who gets genuine heel heat.. not a great wrestler but the fans hate him and he’s doing a good job if it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I think WWE love him because he's a proper homegrown talent who was fully trained in the NXT system

He's probably the most successful one when it comes to NXT, that wasn't an established indy guy beforehand

It's a bit mad how he has some of the best moves going with Deep 6 and End of Days, yet I can't name a good match of his, he's another guy buried by the formulaic nature of main roster matches

Charlotte for sure would be the top homegrown talent but im not sure she may have had some training with ric

and then braun after charlotte much better character and wrestler than corbin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

sky88 wrote: »
    Charlotte for sure would be the top homegrown talent but im not sure she may have had some training with ric

and then braun after charlotte much better character and wrestler than corbin

In terms of just wrestling ability Charlotte is homegrown, but there’s an asterix beside her because of her surname at the same time

Forgot about Braun, they havent won much but both have failed to cash in their MITB so they have that in common

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Forgot about Braun, they havent won much but both have failed to cash in their MITB so they have that in common

Genuinely forgot Corbin won MITB until you mentioned it there!

Corbin is just a whole pile of meh for me.

Meh on the mic
    Meh in the ring

There's a lot better, there's a lot worse.
    He gets boos, but I cant tell is it genuine hatred or just go away heat.

I will say at least he gets a reaction which is more than can be said for 90% of the roster (not on NXT) tbf.

i dont know if anyone can shed some light on this for me. i occasionally watch some What Culture wrestling videos and they just released a video about their trip to Mania. In the footage there is what appears to be legitimate beef between the lads and the Bullet Club/ Haku. they've talked about it before on the videos and im just wondering is it a work or is it real? im genuinely not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

TimesArrow wrote: »
    i dont know if anyone can shed some light on this for me. i occasionally watch some What Culture wrestling videos and they just released a video about their trip to Mania. In the footage there is what appears to be legitimate beef between the lads and the Bullet Club/ Haku. they've talked about it before on the videos and im just wondering is it a work or is it real? im genuinely not sure

This story maybe?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/23/middleeast/saudi-executions-terror-intl/index.html

37 nationals killed in Saudi Arabia. The good news is Vince and the WWE will be back in town soon enough to "promote change" and positivity etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd consider Kofi as homegrown WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

J. Marston wrote: »
    I hate him and not in the "good" way. Recent Daniel Bryan against Kofi, for instance, I can think "God, what a bastard!" when I'm listening to him.

Corbin though is instant look at my phone heat. His look is garbage, terrible promo and crowds don't boo when he comes out. They groan. When he was the constable and in 6 or 7 segments every Raw, it's no surprise the show hit record low ratings. Just last night when you had him in two matches and in the main event, the ratings dropped again. He's awful.

Rant over....but it won't be my last on Corbin!

There's no 'good' or 'bad' way to hate someone, even in wrestling. 'X-Pac Heat' is one of the biggest fallacies in wrestling.

If you hate them in the "they're a good heel and I'm playing along" way...then you don't hate them. You're supporting them by giving them the desired response they're seeking.

If you feel angry when someone comes on screen, then that's their goal and they've done their job well. While you can get by on "I like this wrestler and they're a good heel so I'm going to boo", the goal is to tap into real emotion. Like in Game of Thrones, I HATED Joffrey and Ramsey. I was happy when they died viciously. They tapped into real emotions whenever they were on screen. While I can appreciate how great of a job was done by all involved to make that so, I didn't secretly enjoy them and 'play along', I wanted them dead every time they were on my TV so I'd never have to see them again. So if Corbin does the same for you, he's done a good job. By your account, he's done a better job on you of being a heel than Daniel Bryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Didn't the X-Pac heat thing come about becuase he was universally hated whether he was heel or face?

Always like X-Pac myself, going back to the 123 Kid days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Didn't the X-Pac heat thing come about becuase he was universally hated whether he was heel or face?

never got the x-pac hate was always one of my favs.

great to see how hes turned his life around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

I feckin loved X-Pac.

Once he turned heel with Triple H / Steph incarnation of DX in 2000 I dont think he was ever face in WWE after that. People went on about how he was the only WWE member to get booed in the Invasion angle, but sure he was against Kidman, the who was the definition of babyface....

He was super over as a face in '99, going against Shane 'O, HHH, teaming with Kane etc.

Watched an old interview with Balor / Devitt from 2014 where he mentions X-Pac was his favourite wrestler and the biggest inspiration in becoming a wrestler.

They need to change X-Pac heat to Corbin Heat, effective immediately

Daniel Bryan's eco belt replica is for sale now on wwe shop for an eye watering 392 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Daniel Bryan's eco belt replica is for sale now on weekends shop for an eye watering 392 euros

I’d want it for more than a weekend at that price

Now I watched him as a kid, my first memory of wrestling was him winning the tag titles (with Bob Holly IIRC?) as 1-2-3 Kid. He was one of my faves and I was irrationally invested in him and Kane as a tag-team. So I could have bias at play here but yeah, I remember him being hugely over as a face, then the “X-Pac sucks” was huge when he was a heel.

But the notion of X-Pac heat, at least how I’m speaking about it, relates to him being the first high profile name people spoke of like “I don’t hate him because he’s a heel...” etc.

I think, in future years, when we think back to Corbin as GM we’ll just see a heel who got really over. He certainly wasn’t responsible for bad ratings, the GM deal was a gimmick like, but I think he managed to capture some of the projection fans turned his way for a slow product and turn it into something he could work with.

Pentecost wrote: »
    I’d want it for more than a weekend at that price

Feckin autocorrect!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I was totally on board with 1-2-3 kid back in the day. I struggle to recall anything memorable from DX X-Pac to be honest. I was never a big DX fan though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Didn't the era of Constable Corbin tank the ratings on Raw? That's not good heat however way you slice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm pretty sure he just happened to be constable when it happened. It's not like he wrote the shows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Anyone watching the Crockett Cup tonight? Would like to see the team of Flip and Bandido win it, though it's more likely to be the Briscoes, Villain Enterprises or Crimson & Dane. Decent looking card overall, Aldis versus Marty for the NWA Championship should be good.

Didn't the era of Constable Corbin tank the ratings on Raw? That's not good heat however way you slice it.

If the ratings had gone up, would you have given Corbin the credit? Be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When he was the constable he could be in 6 or 7 segments every show and then painfully boring matches with that. It's no coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

leggo wrote: »
    If the ratings had gone up, would you have given Corbin the credit? Be honest.

If the show was built around on centre stage I'd give him all the credit in the world. The E always give their authority characters prominent roles so I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest people turned off because of him

Alright so if that’s the case then I’m sure, since you’re being objective and not just looking for stats that suit your preconceived notion, that you’ll happily point out the giant ratings boost that must’ve occurred when he was removed from that spot. You know, since what we’re going with now is that Baron Corbin is solely responsible for WWE’s ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I don't think Corbin has solely damaged the ratings (abysmal lazy and stale booking you can blame for that) but I doubt one fan has ever watched Raw and thought -
    "Baron Corbin is in the main event, I can't miss it! "

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

To be honest, there aren't too many that would make the main event must see

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    I don't think Corbin has solely damaged the ratings (abysmal lazy and stale booking you can blame for that) but I doubt one fan has ever watched Raw and thought -
    "Baron Corbin is in the main event, I can't miss it! "

You can use that same stick to beat nearly everyone at some stage of their career, though. There was a stage when nobody was looking for The Ringmaster or Terra Ryzing or Mean Mark Callous in the main event. You’d have got laughed at once if you suggested American Dragon would be WWE Champion. You build someone up by putting them in new spots and seeing if it takes. He did the best he could with what he was given and he got way over whether people like that or not.

Tbh I think all of this is people getting worked and projecting their frustration on the product onto him. Like it literally was a storyline “Raw is bad because of you Baron!” (The idea being he was GM so made the matches, which he obviously didn’t) And now you literally get posts saying “Raw was bad then because of Baron!” And it’s only got him more over as a result. It’s kinda gas tbh. Between that and Kofi, WWE have sneakily gotten good at working the audience again.

Advertisement