Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    She's gone dark on all social media stuff from what I recall.

Yeah she posted about writing a book that's about it. I don't see her rushing back at all. She may do a one off when the baby's well on. But I suppose being a wrestling couple it'd be easier than if one parent had a normal job. Hand over the baby in gorilla!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I was going to ask was it all social media. Her last tweet was a few months ago involving a book. I mean obviously it’s her choice but has she even appeared on seths social media recently ?
    Pentecost wrote: »
    Yeah she posted about writing a book that's about it. I don't see her rushing back at all. She may do a one off when the baby's well on. But I suppose being a wrestling couple it'd be easier than if one parent had a normal job. Hand over the baby in gorilla!

I didn't even know she was even writing a book up until now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Does anyone remember when TNA brought Cookie from Jersey Shore in to make an appearance? Think it was around the time WWE brought in that other one from Jersey Shore to team with Trish years ago. God, what a waste of time that was. I really wish wrestling didn't cater to these types of celebrities for publicity. There really isn't any benefit in bringing them in.

I get that Jersey Shore was pretty trendy at the time but it's not like wrestling is getting some cross-brand exposure by having them on. The Jersey Shore fans weren't going to suddenly become wrestling fans so really it was just a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

They've always done this, ever since Cindy Lauper (possibly even before), to try and get "the rub" from other audience bases.

And unless the celeb is a fan, it's always mega cringe. Who could forget the time Kevin Federline beat John Cena? Or yer man, was it Jeremy Piven, with his "Summerfest".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Or yer man, was it Jeremy Piven, with his "Summerfest".

I think he even called it the Summerfest, which is somehow a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Today is the fifteenth anniversary of Eddie Guerrero dying on the morning of tv tapings in Minneapolis prior to a european tour. It was a Sunday and that night I logged on to wwe.com to check out any news and to check for any videos that were up and I’ll never forget seeing that graphic on the screen with his picture. That ten bell salute and video tribute was awful and that kid shown on camera. I hate that wwe dubbed the tribute video on the network. Fair enough they don’t want to pay for everything but surely this one was an exception they could have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Today is the fifteenth anniversary of Eddie Guerrero dying on the morning of tv tapings in Minneapolis prior to a european tour. It was a Sunday and that night I logged on to wwe.com to check out any news and to check for any videos that were up and I’ll never forget seeing that graphic on the screen with his picture. That ten bell salute and video tribute was awful and that kid shown on camera. I hate that wwe dubbed the tribute video on the network. Fair enough they don’t want to pay for everything but surely this one was an exception they could have made.

Was that the one with Johnny Cash's Hurt dude?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Who manages John Cena’s social media and does he pull his daily cringeworthy self righteous philosophical messages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

TimesArrow wrote: »
    Who manages John Cena’s social media and does he pull his daily cringeworthy self righteous philosophical messages?

his cousin juan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

In brighter news, today is the 43rd birthday of Hiroshi Tanahashi. Maybe the greatest wrestler of the 21st century so far, probably the best big match wrestler ever, the saviour of NJPW (and you can make a case for being a large reason for the increased uptake in puroresu fandom in Western culture) and overall ace of the universe and the once in a century talent. Happy birthday Ace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

In brighter news, today is the 43rd birthday of Hiroshi Tanahashi. Maybe the greatest wrestler of the 21st century so far, probably the best big match wrestler ever, the saviour of NJPW (and you can make a case for being a large reason for the increased uptake in puroresu fandom in Western culture) and overall ace of the universe and the once in a century talent. Happy birthday Ace.

A finer head of hair you won't find on a 43 year old, happy birthday to one of the GOAT's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,213 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't watch NJPW but I know him because of his hair. It's incredible.

Was that the one with Johnny Cash's Hurt dude?

Yes. I think the network version of the smack down had the three doors down song dubbed originally but I’ve heard it’s back to how it was broadcast as of recently which is good.

Just imagine Eddie in this era in his prime ? He made wrestling look so bloody easy. I can remember where I watched him win the title and who with. I didn’t intend to make this morbid but I think it’s important to acknowledge it and get people talking about the vast majority of good memories of Eddie Guerrero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They've always done this, ever since Cindy Lauper (possibly even before), to try and get "the rub" from other audience bases.

And unless the celeb is a fan, it's always mega cringe. Who could forget the time Kevin Federline beat John Cena? Or yer man, was it Jeremy Piven, with his "Summerfest".

It started long before then you had The King vs Kaufman 3 years before Lauper

In Japan you had Ali vs Inoki in the early 70's

Then you had Gorilla Monsoon vs Ali in the mid 70's

I'm sure if you go back to the 50's and 60's you would also find celebs involved as well.

That's why I find it funny now you have fans up in arms with AEW using celebs or other sport athletes to get new eyes on it.

It started long before then you had The King vs Kaufman 3 years before Lauper

In Japan you had Ali vs Inoki in the early 70's

Then you had Gorilla Monsoon vs Ali in the mid 70's

I'm sure if you go back to the 50's and 60's you would also find celebs involved as well.

That's why I find it funny now you have fans up in arms with AEW using celebs or other sport athletes to get new eyes on it.

This is just not true fans complain anytime any company brings in celebrities in not just aew hell they complain when wwe brings in older wrestler to pop a rating

Have watched 25 survivor series in the last two weeks.. so much dross in between the ofd pretty good elimination match and occasional screw job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

When did cosplay become such a big thing for women's wrestlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When did cosplay become such a big thing for women's wrestlers.

It's not just women's wrestling cosplay is huge in general and there are plenty of woman making hundreds of thousands a year from it on social media for the last number of years, Comic Cons brought it to the fore with their popularity over the last decade it is now no longer a niche Japanese thing.

Ruby Riott's new look really is soul destroying. It's like a watered down version of her original look with added ludicrous tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Having a back and forth with a friend who thinks The Undertaker is actually retiring, even using Taker's poster with a Final Farewell on it as evidence.

Oh yeah, cause a well designed poster is really convincing me that he's retiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Having a back and forth with a friend who thinks The Undertaker is actually retiring, even using Taker's poster with a Final Farewell on it as evidence.

Oh yeah, cause a well designed poster is really convincing me that he's retiring.

Yeah any long term WWE fan knows the craic.
    My bet is on "The Undertaker" is retiring. Not Mark Callaway. American badass gimmick anyone? :pac:

He's now winding his "undertaker" character down to a stop. He's now Mark Calloway. So in future wwe pre shows panels, interviews, cameo stuff, anything he does ... He's now Mark Calloway. Whole lot of money to be made out there besides the ring (he's charging a thousand dollars for a cameo vid this Sunday for one example) so it's time for mark calloway. That's who he's selling himself as now.

My two cents anyways.

never ever trust any wrestler to retire ever

I don’t care if he’s retiring or not because well terry funk said he was done in the ring so I’ll believe it when I see it as they say. Hopefully though after Sunday and it’s over they’ll stop with the ****ing constant ads on every video on the network. I know they are part of the network and they appear from time to time but it’s been non stop. Even on your continue watching list they appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Mad how little buzz there is about the Undertaker supposedly retiring. I suppose when there has been perceived retirements before that fans get a bit burned out, but you'd think for a character like him retiring it would be a bigger deal.

I also think it shows how little buzz there is about anything WWE does in general these days.

I also think it shows how little buzz there is about anything Wrestling does in general these days.

Fyp

Mad how little buzz there is about the Undertaker supposedly retiring. I suppose when there has been perceived retirements before that fans get a bit burned out, but you'd think for a character like him retiring it would be a bigger deal.

I also think it shows how little buzz there is about anything WWE does in general these days.

Wouldn't be one bit surprised if it's Taker vs Sting in a cinematic match at Wrestlemania. Then both retire. Sting out of contract but he'll do what he has to do for the right pay day at this point, and the virus has given them the perfect out on doing something entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Debate on the Twitter machine about Omega going into the WON HOF, for me he's a 1st ballot HOF guy, no doubt.

Debate on the Twitter machine about Omega going into the WON HOF, for me he's a 1st ballot HOF guy, no doubt.

Even though I’ve felt he’s overrated by most fans but yes hes gif worthy but always feel you shouldn’t judge fully hof wise until there careers are winding down not still a long way to go

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I just couldn't care less about the Undertaker anymore, haven't really for years

• Advertisement

I’ve never been a massive fan and think he’s one of the most over rated of all time.. and tbh, the gimmick was always very silly.

Advertisement