Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus lane times

Options
  • 01-04-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

On Wilton road there is a sign saying"Bus lane 7:30 - 9:30 16:30-18:30"
    I am under the impression that this means it's ok to use outside of these times, as was confirmed to me by a local bus driver.
    Very few people use it though, and any time I do I get cut off and angry looks.

Today at 14.00 a man overtook me, cut in front of me at the end of the lane to block me from going forward, rolled down his window and yelled "It's a f***in bus lane"

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I am under the impression that this means it's ok to use outside of these times, as was confirmed to me by a local bus driver.

Today at 14.00 a man overtook me, cut in front of me at the end of the lane to block me from going forward, rolled down his window and yelled "It's a f***in bus lane"

Your thoughts?

People don’t know because the signage is tiny and there is no online facility telling people of usage times for each bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Your thoughts?
    He's an awful eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Your thoughts?

Shout back "read the sign you ****ing imbecile" and tell him to get out of your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Ive had the same situation on Wilton Rd as well. I think these people have no idea about bus lane regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I got pulled in by a Garda, a few months ago, for using the bus lane, when it wasn't operational.
    His reasoning was that I was undertaking traffic, and that it's illegal no matter if the bus lane is in operation or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Your thoughts?

Did the guy cut in front of you at the point where the traffic in the bus lane has to yield with the traffic in the main line?
    Just the way the main line curves in at that point, it may seem like the way you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

kub wrote: »
    Did the guy cut in front of you at the point where the traffic in the bus lane has to yield with the traffic in the main line?
    Just the way the main line curves in at that point, it may seem like the way you describe.

Yes, but I had let out 1 or 2 cars already. This guy sped up to block me off on purpose.

Shout back "read the sign you ****ing imbecile" and tell him to get out of your way.

I tried but he was gone on by the time I had my window down! I need to make a cardboard sign and hold it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Yes, but I had let out 1 or 2 cars already. This guy sped up to block me off on purpose.

You have to yield to the cars in the normal lane, he didn’t have to let you out, might be courteous, but he didn’t have to.

Effects wrote: »
    I got pulled in by a Garda, a few months ago, for using the bus lane, when it wasn't operational.
    His reasoning was that I was undertaking traffic, and that it's illegal no matter if the bus lane is in operation or not.

But it's legal to pass on the inside lane if

1. The traffic to your right is moving slower than that of your own lane.
    2. The car in front is turning right

• Advertisement

xabi wrote: »
    You have to yield to the cars in the normal lane, he didn’t have to let you out, might be courteous, but he didn’t have to.

I get you, but I had started to move out, I was zippering into line. He was behind me and drove all around me to get his shout in. If I hadn't moved at the time I would be unnecessarily holding up people in my lane.

I get you, but I had started to move out, I was zippering into line. He was behind me and drove all around me to get his shout in. If I hadn't moved at the time I would be unnecessarily holding up people in my lane.

He was probably blocking the box junction in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

People are now conditioned to stay out of bus lanes. They kept changing the times when bus lanes were intriduced first so people just stay out of them now. But if you actually read the signs you can save your self a lot of time. But uou will always get fools who yhink that they can not drive in bus lanes at any time, you just need to be careful of these when passing as they think you are trying to skip the queue .

Raises the question, should all cars be in the bus lane when not operational, keep left rule.

Then you get people doing the opposite when the bus lane is active; queueing in the bus lane and merging at the end without yielding to traffic on the right.

People are now conditioned to stay out of bus lanes. They kept changing the times when bus lanes were intriduced first so people just stay out of them now. But if you actually read the signs you can save your self a lot of time. But uou will always get fools who yhink that they can not drive in bus lanes at any time, you just need to be careful of these when passing as they think you are trying to skip the queue .

Yeah it's almost not worth the hassle, you get people driving with one wheel in your lane just to block you from passing. It was a very irritating experience today...there were more in the wrong lane, than my lane, so Angry Man today looked like he was in the right and I was the eejit trying to pass people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

So if you weren't undertaking, i.e., diving at the same speed as the cars outside of you, you would have been fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

1. The traffic to your right is moving slower than that of your own lane.
    2. The car in front is turning right

Yeah, that's what I'd have thought. It's hard to argue with a Garda on the side of the road. He ended by saying never drive in the bus lane and you won't get in trouble.
    polaris68 wrote: »
    So if you weren't undertaking, i.e., driving at the same speed as the cars outside of you, you would have been fine?

Possibly. But I can't control traffic. It would mean I'd have to just stop in the empty bus lane every time the car on my right stopped.

A car in the right hand lane indicated to take a left into a supermarket, intending to cross the bus lane to do so.
    I slowed and flashed them to proceed as I didn't want to cut them off. Personally I would have moved across to the bus lane before starting the turn.
    It was after this the Garda van in traffic in the right lane pulled me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Your thoughts?

Report to Gardai for dangerous driving and obscenity in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

1. The traffic to your right is moving slower than that of your own lane. t

That the definition of overtaking, isn't it? I have never overtook someone that was going faster than me...:]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

BUL2SHEET
    A guard that hasnt a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Do people who use that Wilton Road bus lane actually think they are letting people from the normal traffic lane in when the bus lane ends with a yield sign and the normal traffic lane continues uninterrupted?!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Its not a zippering in lane though, you need to yield for all traffic coming from the right hand lane as it has right of way. The number of times that people drive straight on from that lane (even when it is not a bus lane) without yielding is eunreal and a lot more dangerous (buses do that a lot too)

By all mean drive in the bus lane outside of those times but you need to yield to all traffic in the right hand lane, even if you are holding people up in your lane.

In saying that, its a really poorly designed road layout

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Does anyone have a good reason for why it isn't just a 24/7 bus lane? Seems like it'd make more sense to me, unless I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Treviso wrote: »
    Its not a zippering in lane though, you need to yield for all traffic coming from the right hand lane as it has right of way. The number of times that people drive straight on from that lane (even when it is not a bus lane) without yielding is eunreal and a lot more dangerous (buses do that a lot too)

By all mean drive in the bus lane outside of those times but you need to yield to all traffic in the right hand lane, even if you are holding people up in your lane.

In saying that, its a really poorly designed road layout

I had a guy go almost apoplectic with me because I wouldn't allow him to force his way out of the bus lane into the regular lane.

I've no doubt that he thought he had right of way but I didn't like his manner. I think a lot of the cars using the bus lane assume (despite the yield sign) that they have right of way and try to assert it.

On the other hand, most drivers in the regular lane assume that drivers in the bus lane are always doing so ilegally and will not let them out as they are seen to be skipping the queue.

I don't understand why it's so confusing to so many people (even the guards, it seems).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Does anyone have a good reason for why it isn't just a 24/7 bus lane? Seems like it'd make more sense to me, unless I'm missing something.

Because reserving it exclusively for buses just turns it into a hugely under-utilised lane on what is a very busy road.

Because reserving it exclusively for buses just turns it into a hugely under-utilised lane on what is a very busy road.

Wait...
    It's bus only at the busiest times of day.

And I think what you're saying is that they're making it available to general traffic because of high demand.
    So...
    They reduce the number of lanes available to general traffic when there's highest demand.
    And then make a second lane available to general traffic when there's lower demand?

I must admit that I find this logic a little confusing.

Is there an argument that it might be better to have a much space as possible between traffic going opposite directions? It certainly helps with overtakes in the Wilton direction if there's a free lane in the middle.

But I guess it's mainly to allow parking and better access to homes outside of peak hours.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is there an argument that it might be better to have a much space as possible between traffic going opposite directions? It certainly helps with overtakes in the Wilton direction if there's a free lane in the middle.

That's logical.
    It probably won't work well at the time it's most needed obviously, but at least it's logical.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    But I guess it's mainly to allow parking and better access to homes outside of peak hours.

It's not an ideal way of dealing with this, because again it'd be at its most valuable to them during peak hours. When the traffic is lighter, they can probably access/egress without significant problems. At least I've been able to, when parked there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Wait...
    It's bus only at the busiest times of day.

And I think what you're saying is that they're making it available to general traffic because of high demand.
    So...
    They reduce the number of lanes available to general traffic when there's highest demand.
    And then make a second lane available to general traffic when there's lower demand?

I must admit that I find this logic a little confusing.

Bus lanes are supposed to be an incentive to attract users our of their cars and allow buses flow during busy times, hence the restriction for cars using it during said times.
    Not very confusing.
    Now during not so busy times why not let cars use it anyway, because the number of buses is far less than the number of cars, improve the flow even more., Which is what happens. Ruling our cars on a 24/7 basis is daft and basically a waste of resources.

Advertisement