Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus lane times

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Bus lanes are supposed to be an incentive to attract users our of their cars and allow buses flow during busy times, hence the restriction for cars using it during said times.
    Not very confusing.
    Now during not so busy times why not let cars use it anyway, because the number of buses is far less than the number of cars, improve the flow even more., Which is what happens. Ruling our cars on a 24/7 basis is daft and basically a waste of resources.

I don't see how people using the bus lane is a better use of resources. The resulting chaotic mess when the lane ends and queue skippers assert a right of way they don't have just causes traffic to move more slowly.

As someone who makes the right turn in the opposite direction frequently. The needless gaps in traffic coming from the wilton road frequently happen in heavy traffic allowing me to make my turn. These gaps are always due to the mess caused by drivers forcing their way in from the bus lane which causes the normal lane to temporarily choke.

True it would be a better use of resources if the driver who use the bus lane actually respected the yield sign and waited for a gap which allows them to seamlessly integrate back into the normal lane. But anyone whos ever used that road knows they don't. If youre in the normal traffic lane you've to be slow, prepared and cautious of people like OP who think youre merging into their lane for some reason.

Lets call a spade a spade here. The only people who use that lane are just queue skippers. Just like people who use the right hand turn lane in the opposite direction and then hop back into the left lane by Ramen. All legal when done right but doesn't help traffic flow one bit and only benefits one car to the detriment of everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Bus lanes are supposed to be an incentive to attract users our of their cars and allow buses flow during busy times, hence the restriction for cars using it during said times.
    Not very confusing.
    Now during not so busy times why not let cars use it anyway, because the number of buses is far less than the number of cars, improve the flow even more., Which is what happens. Ruling our cars on a 24/7 basis is daft and basically a waste of resources.

Look, we're not going to see eye to eye on this one and that's OK.

I might drive a car, but as far as I'm concerned, the priority order on our roads is pedestrians first, then cyclists, then public transport, and private cars last.
    There's no rationale in my head for taking any road space from any of the top three at any point and making it available to private cars.

Bus lanes are clearly a different thing to me than they are to you. For me they're a way to ensure the buses can always adhere to schedule and be predictable, and adding any private traffic whatsoever to that is a mistake.

I've no motivation to make it easy to drive a private car through the city. Commercial vehicles are an entirely different story obviously.

As I say, I don't agree with you whatsoever. And I guess that's probably OK too, we're all allowed to have opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Look, we're not going to see eye to eye on this one and that's OK.

I might drive a car, but as far as I'm concerned, the priority order on our roads is pedestrians first, then cyclists, then public transport, and private cars last.
    There's no rationale in my head for taking any road space from any of the top three at any point and making it available to private cars.

Bus lanes are clearly a different thing to me than they are to you. For me they're a way to ensure the buses can always adhere to schedule and be predictable, and adding any private traffic whatsoever to that is a mistake.

I've no motivation to make it easy to drive a private car through the city. Commercial vehicles are an entirely different story obviously.

As I say, I don't agree with you whatsoever. And I guess that's probably OK too, we're all allowed to have opinions.

hey, I agree with you on all of the above, I cycle to work (when possible) and I never take my car into the city..I use public transport...I was simply making a point about making more use out of a resource (a lane on a busy road) during off-peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I thought there was a sign went up on that lane making it a 24hr bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The signs with the bus lane times on that road are mess: There seems to be multiple different times in different sections, they're missing the actual blue bus lane sign, and some aren't even facing the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

The signs with the bus lane times on that road are mess: There seems to be multiple different times in different sections, they're missing the actual blue bus lane sign, and some aren't even facing the right direction.

For some reason the bus lane signs always get reversed on busy roads. Especially the ones on the Western Road and outside Pres/St. Josephs. All these ones were vandalised in some way at one time and were fixed. I swear within 2 weeks all were either completely turned around or it was clear someone had tried to swing them around.

Without any evidence I suspect its Taxi drivers doing this as they don't want people to be aware that these lanes aren't 24/7 and that everyones free to use them at all times during the weekends.

One of the only non vandalised sign is the one on Washington St which unsurprisingly is the only 24 hour sign I know of in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah, you'd be surprised at how many people don't realise that not all bus lanes are 24hrs. Someone brought up this particular bus lane at lunch at work one day giving out about people using it when they shouldn't be.

I had to inform her it isn't 24 hrs. Not one person (out of about 6) at the table (except for me!) knew there was even such as thing as bus lanes that only operate at certain hours. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

This is from 2009 , even a pedestrian would have to stop to read that sign.
    That hedge is trimmed in the 2017 streetview, but is still poorly signposted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I don't know why the Washington st one is 24hr if you want to turn left you could be stuck in the traffic lane queue for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

People don’t know because the signage is tiny and there is no online facility telling people of usage times for each bus lane.

Its nothing to do with the signage itself, its simply people who are just too thick to take any notice of the signage, I've been using the lanes for years and its ridiculous the looks I get from other drivers, beeping horns, flashing lights etc, Bunch of idiots in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

User142 wrote: »
    For some reason the bus lane signs always get reversed on busy roads. Especially the ones on the Western Road and outside Pres/St. Josephs. All these ones were vandalised in some way at one time and were fixed. I swear within 2 weeks all were either completely turned around or it was clear someone had tried to swing them around.

Without any evidence I suspect its Taxi drivers doing this as they don't want people to be aware that these lanes aren't 24/7 and that everyones free to use them at all times during the weekends.

One of the only non vandalised sign is the one on Washington St which unsurprisingly is the only 24 hour sign I know of in Cork.

it is the taxi's doing it, one particular company not located a million miles away too. One of them was reported while in the act by a lancaster quay resident and nothing was done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Its nothing to do with the signage itself, its simply people who are just too thick to take any notice of the signage, I've been using the lanes for years and its ridiculous the looks I get from other drivers, beeping horns, flashing lights etc, Bunch of idiots in Cork
    The signage is an issue, as highlighted by the Google Maps pics. I’ve passed there a few times (during the bus hours), and it’s not clear signage.
    BTW, a few cars do still go into the lane, nobody beeps or flashes (as if that achieves anything), you must be attracting the rare idiot, so relax.

Advertisement