Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lamb numbers

• 01-04-2019 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have mostly texel and suffock ewes. Whats the best way to get my low(1.5 average) scan rate up quickly. Nutrition and mineral.status good on the whole.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Introduce belclare genetics

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

Farmermike wrote: »
    I have mostly texel and suffock ewes. Whats the best way to get my low(1.5 average) scan rate up quickly. Nutrition and mineral.status good on the whole.

Belclare are great sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Farmermike wrote: »

Grass and minerals id say. Same type of ewe and got 2.0 per ewe this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Grass and minerals id say. Same type of ewe and got 2.0 per ewe this year

Would tend to agree...

How do you know minerals are good OP?

Do you flush the ewes before mating?

What do you do for flock replacements currently? Belclare are good too, maybe you could improve your own and introduce a bit of belclare into your flock...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Farmermike

All ewes dosed with turbo mineral drench and flused in good grass for 3 weeks pre mating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Flushing ewes and using the ram effect will put up your scanning %... Better management off chooseing replacements is the best way.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

Lambman wrote: »
    Flushing ewes and using the ram effect will put up your scanning %... Better management off chooseing replacements is the best way.

Can a ram castrated at birth be used for the ram effect, ie rubbered ? Sure this can increase lambing % ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Can a ram castrated at birth be used for the ram effect, ie rubbered ? Sure this can increase lambing % ?

Probably wouldn't be active enough, you can get what they call a no-mate harness for entire rams that stops them from serving ewes.
    You can then use your existing rams as teasers

https://www.agridirect.ie/product/no-mate-teaser-harness.

It clips on to teh original ram harness.......i think

Just edited to say that to work properly the ewes have to be away from smell and sight of the rams for two mths before the teasers are introduced 14 days before mating.
    Our batches were always 200 ewes and 190 would lamb in 17 days, The ram effect was definitely more successful than sponging here

Advertisement