Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

zell12 wrote: »
    Another café opened there now
    The Galway Roast
    The Galway Roast began life as a café in Tuam, County Galway in 2008 and today has grown into a unique company that roasts its very own coffee beans to ensure customers receive the freshest and most distinctive tasting coffee possible.

Good to see it isn't another Costa!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

www.knocknacarradistrictcentre.ie - not exactly a new business opening but there are 11 proposed commercial units as part of the development, looks great in the pics

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Jammyd wrote: »
    www.knocknacarradistrictcentre.ie - not exactly a new business opening but there are 11 proposed commercial units as part of the development, looks great in the pics

Why is the cyclist toppling off her bike in the fifth of the artist's renderings? Did the Mini sideswipe her? :D The toddler on the other side of the road is clearly wondering the same thing, he's staring at her :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

I just noticed a planning notice in the Advertiser whereby Lidl are applying for permission to build a store on the old Arch Motors site in Westside, adjacent to Monaghans petrol station. Hopefully this application won't suffer the same issues as the one in Knocknacarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to Vodafone seeking permission to purchase HSamuels old spot it appears An Taisce believe there are too many phone shops in Galway. The article notes that Vodafone will close their Williamsgate and Corbett Court stores if the new one is approved.
    https://connachttribune.ie/concerns-raised-over-proliferation-of-phone-shops-090/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

flazio wrote: »
    In relation to Vodafone seeking permission to purchase HSamuels old spot it appears An Taisce believe there are too many phone shops in Galway. The article notes that Vodafone will close their Williamsgate and Corbett Court stores if the new one is approved.
    https://connachttribune.ie/concerns-raised-over-proliferation-of-phone-shops-090/

to many phone shops? I think they mean cafes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

I just noticed a planning notice in the Advertiser whereby Lidl are applying for permission to build a store on the old Arch Motors site in Westside, adjacent to Monaghans petrol station. Hopefully this application won't suffer the same issues as the one in Knocknacarra.

Is there really a need for another with two supermarkets adjacent ? Whats the justification. Population is same as ever in Shantalla/Westside/Newcastle. Traffic more chaos. Wouldnt support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

youngrun wrote: »
    Is there really a need for another with two supermarkets adjacent ? Whats the justification. Population is same as ever in Shantalla/Westside/Newcastle. Traffic more chaos. Wouldnt support it.

Lidl have tried for ages to get a shop West of "the Bridge". It will do very well. Aldi have no issue with having two very busy branches nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭skinny90

pure.conya wrote: »
    to many phone shops? I think they mean cafes

nothing wrong with many cafes in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This will cause traffic chaos, remember there is a bus gate lane due to go nearby through GUH too
    However, there is huge footfall through the area
    yyx9C6N.jpg

• Advertisement

... a bus gate lane due to go nearby through GUH too

What's this?

Galway City Council proposed that a bus corridor would go around the top of the park, running parallel to Seamus Quirke Road and into the back of the hospital as published in the press in 2016 under The Galway Transport Strategy https://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/article/107264/shantalla-residents-association-opposes-bus-corridor-not-helipad

• Registered Users Posts: 25,938 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

youngrun wrote: »
    . Population is same as ever in Shantalla/Westside/Newcastle.

Ahh, how many new student beds have gone in to the Corrib village extension? How many are going on the Westwood site?

What about new houses have been built in houses in these estates -hard to believe there are none. ( I know there are some in Knocknacarra, don't know the closer areas as well.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Galway City Council proposed that a bus corridor would go around the top of the park, running parallel to Seamus Quirke Road and into the back of the hospital as published in the press in 2016 under The Galway Transport Strategy https://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/article/107264/shantalla-residents-association-opposes-bus-corridor-not-helipad

Absurd idea when SQR already has bus lanes - no need.
    If they want to improve bus access to hospital, convert the roundabout to a signalised junction.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Absurd idea when SQR already has bus lanes - no need. If they want to improve bus access to hospital, convert the roundabout to a signalised junction.
    The bus lane inbound stops at Browne roundabout.
    GCC plans for buses to have priority all the way to Eyre Square, hence a dedicated bus only route through park & GUH.
    Anyway we are way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

timmyntc wrote: »
    Absurd idea when SQR already has bus lanes - no need.

You misunderstand the plan, the SQR bus land ends at the back entrance of the hospital, this plan EXTENDS the bus lane closer to town, allowing the bus to avoid the section of SQR that has no bus lane and Lower NewCastle.

Eventually the aim is to have bus lane all the way into town.

You misunderstand the plan, the SQR bus land ends at the back entrance of the hospital, this plan EXTENDS the bus lane closer to town, allowing the bus to avoid the section of SQR that has no bus lane and Lower NewCastle.

Actually looks like a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This will cause traffic chaos, remember there is a bus gate lane due to go nearby through GUH too
    However, there is huge footfall through the area
    yyx9C6N.jpg

Will this mean another set of traffic lights on the sqr?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Joyce’s on father Griffen road is closed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Joyce’s on father Griffen road is closed

Huh? Perhaps due to local power failure in the area?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Work appears to have started on the new café development going in beside Blackrock. Big digger sitting in the field today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Wont actually be a Bus Lane all the way - but in principle it should be similar. Plan is to put a Bus Gate on Salmon Weir Bridge. Will reduce car traffic on University Road/Eglinton St/St Francis Street etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wont actually be a Bus Lane all the way - but in principle it should be similar. Plan is to put a Bus Gate on Salmon Weir Bridge. Will reduce car traffic on University Road/Eglinton St/St Francis Street etc.

Would be great for public transport, really speed things along. However without a bypass I shudder at the thought of what it'll do to traffic on Newcastle Road and the Quincentenary Bridge.

Edit: Wrong thread for this I know, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

Will the bypass be built before extinction?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

• Registered Users Posts: 25,938 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Areas wrote: »

It's a very clever location, given that McDonagh's have got planning to turn their current hardware store site into an office complex.

Dungeons and Donuts have closed in Bridge Mills, and are moving into upper Abbeygate St later in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Duffy's Fishing & Shooting closing on Jan 12th 2020.

Sad to see such a long established shop go.

Closing Down Notice
    Friday, 13th December 2019

Dear Customers, Friends, Galwegians & Business Associates
    It is with a heavy heart we regret to inform you that we are closing Duffys Fishing & Shooting. Our last day of business will be the 12th Of January 2020.
    I sincerely thank everyone who supported us over the many years, Duffys could not have been a success without your business.
    I sincerely thank all members and ex members of staff for their camaraderie, we couldn’t have done it without you.
    On behalf of my family I thank the amazing people of Galway for their outpouring of support and well wishes at this difficult time.

Sincerely,

Brian Duffy

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Does anyone know the name of that office suppliers/copy shop down from Irwin's funeral parlor and across from Debenhams?
    I cant find it online.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Bredabe wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of that office suppliers/copy shop down from Irwin's funeral parlor and across from Debenhams?
    I cant find it online.

Br Irwin
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/yN9kqx9EVZ2VgPZ5A

• Advertisement
Advertisement