Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Went past Zappi's on Eglinton street this evening on the bus, blinds down, notice in the window, anyone get a chance to read it?. Are they gone or just holidays?.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Sad to hear it wont be reopening feel sorry for the guys working there hope they get allocated work in the other shops.

Strange how they put up closed for renovations on the sign on the door.

Was always busy there too anytime I went there so surprised it closed. The area is really lacking choice for lunch. All that’s there now in o’heirs (which is nice in fairness) and McDonald’s for quite a large distance. Ok you can add Dunnes and Monaghan’s deli’s but for those working in the area all the time and wanting to sit in somewhere the options are very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Subway Westside permanently closed since Nov.

Undergoing renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,938 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Went past Zappi's on Eglinton street this evening on the bus, blinds down, notice in the window, anyone get a chance to read it?. Are they gone or just holidays?.

Just gone on holidays, according to the sign in the window.

Same with Napoli, and a few other places.

I can't remember who reopens when, but most are gone till the 16th or 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Galwaybaker

Swamp clothing closing permanently at end of business today according to their Facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Swamp clothing closing permanently at end of business today according to their Facebook page
    Jesus, the Eyre square centre is becoming a place where businesses go to die. Soon there'll be more vacant shops than open ones

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Clearly the shift to online sales is having a visible effect on Galway's retail streets.
    It's going to get much worse.

zell12 wrote: »
    Clearly the shift to online sales is having a visible effect on Galway's retail streets.
    Agree, I know we all like(d) the independent shops that are here but there won't be many left in a few years...

zell12 wrote: »

Worse, or just different?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Worse, or just different?
    Different, shift from selling products to selling experiences. Hopefully it will lead to more vibrant life in the centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

That part of town is really lacking places to get lunch as it is without subway closing down.

Another (newish?) option in Westside at lunchtime is the Bean Tree in the Westside Enterprise Centre. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet but I’ve heard from colleagues that it’s good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jesus, the Eyre square centre is becoming a place where businesses go to die. Soon there'll be more vacant shops than open ones

Not suprised with the shocking rent prices. Practically impossible to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Cara Pharmacy in Edward Sq closing at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Swamps issue is higher up then just the Galway store and the Eyre Square centre rates.

I noticed the other day that Sangria Tapas Restaurant has moved from the corner of Buttermilk Walk to the former Vina Mara premises. The new place looked lovely all lit up at night. It will be interesting to see what opens in the Buttermilk Walk space. It’s almost becoming an incubation space for restaurants that do well there and go on to be very successful in larger premises.

Another (newish?) option in Westside at lunchtime is the Bean Tree in the Westside Enterprise Centre. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet but I’ve heard from colleagues that it’s good.

Is that the small industrial estate behind Dunnes?

Is that the small industrial estate behind Dunnes?

That’s the one. No parking issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

They have the stall at Saturday market in town, mainly selling their Madras pea and potato curry, which is awesome (yoghurt plus chilli a must). Definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

flazio wrote: »
    Swamps issue is higher up then just the Galway store and the Eyre Square centre rates.

True, all nine stores nationwide closed today.

I thought of this post whilst walking through there yesterday.

It's not even vaguely true.

Mothercare went from Eglington St to the ESC and then on to Wellpark.

Blacoe Jewellers are going from there to a dedicated building in Abbeygate St.

• Advertisement

I thought of this post whilst walking through there yesterday.

It's not even vaguely true.

Mothercare went from Eglington St to the ESC and then on to Wellpark.

Blacoe Jewellers are going from there to a dedicated building in Abbeygate St.
    Yea, two exceptions there . I was exaggerating obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Galway Bay FM reports that Laya health care have opened a clinic in Briarhill but doesn't specify exactly where.
    Anyone find it?
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/laya-health-clinic-offically-opens-in-briarhill/

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

flazio wrote: »
    Galway Bay FM reports that Laya health care have opened a clinic in Briarhill but doesn't specify exactly where.
    Anyone find it?
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/laya-health-clinic-offically-opens-in-briarhill/

upstairs in Briarhill shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

O'Reilys in salthill seems to be closed. Went by it yesterday and all the blinds were down and the door closed, it was early enough in the day so didn't think much about it. Went by just there and still shut up.

O'Reilys in salthill seems to be closed. Went by it yesterday and all the blinds were down and the door closed, it was early enough in the day so didn't think much about it. Went by just there and still shut up.

You need to look in the window to see what's happening with places at the moment: quite a few are taking extended holidays or having renovations done in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

You need to look in the window to see what's happening with places at the moment: quite a few are taking extended holidays or having renovations done in January.

Nothing seems to be going on inside and there was no sign outside to say they were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

There’s a new vegan deli on newcastle rd. In between the thatch bar & that little school.

Vegano delicatessen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I noticed a coffee shop/cafe has opened a few doors down from Bierhaus. I didnt notice anyone mention it on this thread. Its called Greens and co or something to that effect.

A coffee shop also opened in the community centre in Doughiska. Its called the Neighbourhood. I tried it yesterday. Tasty food and lovely staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I noticed a coffee shop/cafe has opened a few doors down from Bierhaus. I didnt notice anyone mention it on this thread. Its called Greens and co or something to that effect.

A coffee shop also opened in the community centre in Doughiska. Its called the Neighbourhood. I tried it yesterday. Tasty food and lovely staff.

Green and Co is a vegan cafe, lovely interior/exterior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Green and Co is a vegan cafe, lovely interior/exterior.

Mentioned about four months ago on here. Renovations seemed to have been ongoing for a year before that on a stop/start basis.

Advertisement