Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/an-taisce-objection-puts-jurys-inn-galway-extension-plan-on-hold-977337.html

Not so much a business opening or closing but Jurys Inn plan to add 89 bedrooms to it's existing 130 rooms at Spanish Arch delayed by An Taisce appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Spotted a Barista Van in the Westside Aldi car park today. Seems to be intended for a longer term as there is a fixed standing table. Interesting choice of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Did Chopped in the basement of Eyre Square centre close permanently or is it just shut every single time I walk past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Stevolende wrote: »
    Did Chopped in the basement of Eyre Square centre close permanently or is it just shut every single time I walk past it.

It's closed permanently. There's another Chopped in Londis on the Dublin Road if you're looking for one.

• Advertisement

Space Dog wrote: »
    It's closed permanently. There's another Chopped in Londis on the Dublin Road if you're looking for one.

Not really looking for one
    Am just surprised to see it look abandoned.
    Was just going to come back and edit what I wrote earlier because it looks like it was just abandoned at the end of a shift or something.
    All the food trays etc have been removed and all the plastic furniture, presumably tills etc but it might otherwise look open to the extent that I think the lights behind the counter are on or that's how I'm picturing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,938 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not really looking for one
    Am just surprised to see it look abandoned.
    Was just going to come back and edit what I wrote earlier because it looks like it was just abandoned at the end of a shift or something.
    All the food trays etc have been removed and all the plastic furniture, presumably tills etc but it might otherwise look open to the extent that I think the lights behind the counter are on or that's how I'm picturing it.

I had a similar thought this morning: there are no lights on but there's a stack of chopping bowls, some other brand specific fittings and some tins / jars of food.

Compared with Swamp upstairs which got stripped of all valuable stuff a few days after closing.

Could be taht I'm just seeingt light from the foyer shining on everything . Like there's no shutters or anything there.
    NOt sure how they closed up the place when it was open or if it just kept the same hours as the shopping centre so it would be locked up as part of taht when it wasn't open. BUt would think it needed some form of security separate to the centre.
    Did it have shutters when it was functioning?

Oh & it wouldn't be the first time I was surprised by a closed shop in the centre still occupying business space. Head seemed to take forever to have its contents removed when it was suddenly closed. Could see records/cds in racks for seemingly months after it went.
    I would have thought that you would want to get whatever remained out as fast as possible or incur further rent. But maybe taht's not how it works.

Not sure when this Chopped ceased to be a working food outlet. Did wonder if the business had folded or gone into receivership so there wasn't somebody to fully close down. But sounds like there are other branches still functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Could be taht I'm just seeingt light from the foyer shining on everything . Like there's no shutters or anything there.
    NOt sure how they closed up the place when it was open or if it just kept the same hours as the shopping centre so it would be locked up as part of taht when it wasn't open. BUt would think it needed some form of security separate to the centre.
    Did it have shutters when it was functioning?

Oh & it wouldn't be the first time I was surprised by a closed shop in the centre still occupying business space. Head seemed to take forever to have its contents removed when it was suddenly closed. Could see records/cds in racks for seemingly months after it went.
    I would have thought that you would want to get whatever remained out as fast as possible or incur further rent. But maybe taht's not how it works.

Not sure when this Chopped ceased to be a working food outlet. Did wonder if the business had folded or gone into receivership so there wasn't somebody to fully close down. But sounds like there are other branches still functioning.

That kind of hurt to read!

Not sure any extra security is required, they didnt sell a range of high priced product's so there's not much stock to protect. Other stands in the shopping center (eg Vape stand) don't have any security shutters. I'm also fairly sure chopped operated to, or close to the shopping center opening hours.

It's closure was mentioned a few pages back if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The Chopped and Subway seating model in Eyre Sq Center has to be a problem for those businesses. Half the people sitting there are usually eating stuff from Dunne's.

• Advertisement

I wonder do they actually have any say over who sits there? You will often see food courts in shopping centres where the seating is just general and no restaurant has any say over who sits where.

It’s a concept I like as a few people can all get food from different places but eat together.

Wondering to what extent a business closing removes all traces of its being there.
    I think the padded bench thing was something brought in by the unit, but it seems to be being seen as a public bench.
    BUt then again that unit was teh first one to occupy space there since they redid the front apart of the centre.
    Would have though that front part might have been a lot more accessible with a ramp than a steep set of stairs though.
    Not really heard what disabled users or people with prams think of that entrance but wouldn't think it very positive.

But anyway 3 weeks or whatever since the business closed does seem a long time to have it left looking like that. Or is it likely that they had rent paid up to a certain point anyway. Like things might change by the end of next week since the start of February is a week today?
    Or is it just no longer their problem?

Would have though that front part might have been a lot more accessible with a ramp than a steep set of stairs though.
    Not really heard what disabled users or people with prams think of that entrance but wouldn't think it very positive.

You know there's a lift right beside the stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I wonder do they actually have any say over who sits there? You will often see food courts in shopping centres where the seating is just general and no restaurant has any say over who sits where.

It’s a concept I like as a few people can all get food from different places but eat together.

Yes they do have a say, I have been asked to move before.

You know there's a lift right beside the stairs?

one lift as opposed to the ramp entrance it used to have. Would have thought the ramp would have been more beneficial. Less waiting for the thing to arrive for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Wondering to what extent a business closing removes all traces of its being there.
    I think the padded bench thing was something brought in by the unit, but it seems to be being seen as a public bench.
    BUt then again that unit was teh first one to occupy space there since they redid the front apart of the centre.

But anyway 3 weeks or whatever since the business closed does seem a long time to have it left looking like that. Or is it likely that they had rent paid up to a certain point anyway. Like things might change by the end of next week since the start of February is a week today?
    Or is it just no longer their problem?
    They'll be paying rent there until they can find someone to take over the rent.... until 13 September 2027

Tenancy Information:
    Term Commencement 14 September 2017
    Lease Term 15 Years
    Permitted User The retail sale of fresh food for sale on and off the Demised Premise
    Break Option 13 September 2027

Wow had no idea how long a contract one would be signing for a place like that. Assumed that once a business was closing you'd be able to step out of it. But would also assume that was a desirable location.So something else would be looking to move in.
    Is it an awkward shaped space or something? I assume where that bench is is a fixed wall. But the access corridor is fixed too. As in the centre entrance.

one lift as opposed to the ramp entrance it used to have. Would have thought the ramp would have been more beneficial. Less waiting for the thing to arrive for one.

I pass through daily, and have a dodgy knee.

When I've needed to use the lift the wait has never been long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Lads, what is the story with The Continental - formerly The Cottage - down in Lower Salthill?

Is the place completely dead to the world? Looks closed and won't be opening soon again anytime I pass it. Was it ever properly open?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Arghus wrote: »
    Lads, what is the story with The Continental - formerly The Cottage - down in Lower Salthill?

Is the place completely dead to the world? Looks closed and won't be opening soon again anytime I pass it. Was it ever properly open?

It's accommodation only now sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It's a boutique B&B now: https://www.thecontinental.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Do they accept gold coins for various goods and services?
    <sorry couldn't resist>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Laviski wrote: »
    Do they accept gold coins for various goods and services?
    <sorry couldn't resist>

https://john-wick.fandom.com/wiki/Continental_Hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I honestly have no clue how that works as a way to make money. There never seems to be any sign of human life in it. Is it essentially vacant 90% of the time?

Edit: Had a look on their site and some dates in the future are marked as unavailable, so maybe somebody is checking in, but it always looks as dead as a post any time I pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

I honestly have no clue how that works as a way to make money. There never seems to be any sign of human life in it. Is it essentially vacant 90% of the time?

Edit: Had a look on their site and some dates in the future are marked as unavailable, so maybe somebody is checking in, but it always looks as dead as a post any time I pass.

It's an Airbnb operation so the only people or activity you will see is the residents at a particular time. Not a flow of custom more a high end rental operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

IMC Galway post on Facebook concerning major news announcements coming soon... Wonder what it could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

puffs and tarts bakery at the back of the eyre square shopping centre closed the last few weeks

pure.conya wrote: »
    puffs and tarts bakery at the back of the eyre square shopping centre closed the last few weeks

They finished up just before Christmas. Was a "thanks, bye" sign up at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They finished up just before Christmas. Was a "thanks, bye" sign up at the time.

It changed handd recently and I didn't find the new woman in charge as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

NI coffee chain Synge & Byrne opening there first ROI branch upstairs in the new Harvey Norman according to the Connacht Tribune FB news feed. They had an article in the Indo a few day’s ago saying they had expansion plans down here, have been in the one in Newry and was impressed

Advertisement