Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Agreed.

I walked past O'Reillys today. Very odd. Definitely closed but not looking abandoned. But no signs at all. They're normally active more or less daily on Facebook, but suddenly nothing since 8 Jan.

Still the same today 31/1/20. Any update on the above. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭Wompa1

westgolf wrote: »
    Still the same today 31/1/20. Any update on the above. ?

As chance would have it, I saw their promotional jeep drive in Salthill earlier. It parked in the public parking and they walked across the road. Presumably heading into the place. I thought I noticed a sign saying spring menu. I wonder if they opted to close for a few months...

I heard JP McMahon on Galway Bay FM saying from next year on, he's going to be closing one of his places for a few months a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

https://connachttribune.ie/five-years-e200m-galway-shopping-centre-plan/

Might not be the correct thread to post in but was wondering whatever happened to this plan? Does anyone know? Looks like the permission has now lapsed and I guess the appetite for shopping centre development is subdued with the online retail wave.

Was out that way last weekend and couldn't get over how old the place is and what a missed opportunity for Galway to have a higher density mixed development, the city is really lacking in the shopping department with an absence of a lot of the major brands that are in the likes of Newbridge and Athlone, the whole Headford road area could do with being knocked and starting all over - First up would be that building that houses Argos and Lidl (definitely up there as one of the ugliest buildings in the city IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wompa1 wrote: »

I heard JP McMahon on Galway Bay FM saying from next year on, he's going to be closing one of his places for a few months a year.

Done it already: Anair has a sign saying its closed til the end of March.

Lots of places closed for some part of January. All with signs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Looks like a substantial chunk of Eglinton St. is up for sale. Does this mean all these places will be closing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Looks like a substantial chunk of Eglinton St. is up for sale. Does this mean all these places will be closing?

No. In a case like this you buy the property and take over the leases from the seller. They just get a new landlord.

No.

Commercial sales don't usually involve vacant possession.

Also, Ex Eddie rockets is long vacant anyway. McSwiggans are using the unit besidecitcfor a storeroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Carraig Donn are coming to the knocknacarra shopping centre... https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157171627278121&id=365221803120

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Never heard that Reillys bar in Salthill had closed down

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Never heard that Reillys bar in Salthill had closed down

There's still been no announcement, we've just noticed that it's been closed since early January.

I noticed at the weekend that there are signs in the outside menu boards saying "spring menu coming soon" - not sure if they're new or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

Carraig Donn are coming to the knocknacarra shopping centre... https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157171627278121&id=365221803120

How many is that in Galway now 2/3. Surly there is no need for another one! I can’t understand why they can’t open a Zara/HM out there, there is enough space and the majority of people want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,031 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What's opening on the corner Upper Salthill opp post office?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

zell12 wrote: »

That was for Christmas only I heard there since

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Walked past last night. Looks like a flower shop...still plenty of stock there but not sure of open day to day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Bredabe

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Walked past last night. Looks like a flower shop...still plenty of stock there but not sure of open day to day
    From what I read in a post somewhere, Go Dutch are using it as a store/workspace for the foreseeable.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Some of these rents are very high.

EuroGiant pay 130k pa, that's over 10k pm, or 2,500 per week.

No wonder the price level is so high in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bredabe wrote: »
    From what I read in a post somewhere, Go Dutch are using it as a store/workspace for the foreseeable.

That would make total sense as I was thinking it looked a little bare to be a full-on shop.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

In the financial services sector, it's nice to see that Galway's own Nick Leeson is back in business based out of Newcastle Road. I'm sure this will work out well for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

ABC Bookshop on Tuam Road is closing and going online only at the end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Blue850 wrote: »
    ABC Bookshop on Tuam Road is closing and going online only at the end of the month

Ausoba shoe shop beside Griffin's is closing down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone know if the Hurt Locker gym in Liosbaun is still open? Their website is down and social media is inactive.

Sitting Duck cafe in Eyre St has had an exterior paint job and renamed as Kettle Cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Hurt Locker gym in Liosbaun is still open? Their website is down and social media is inactive.

I think they closed late last year sometime. I have been told this by someone worked beside their location.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,031 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cllr Owen Hanley says there have been a number of high profile shop closures in recent weeks which he argues is indicative of a wider problem facing many retailers in Galway. https://connachttribune.ie/city-officials-urged-to-revitalise-galways-retail-sector/
    What are these 'high profile' shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

What are these 'high profile' shops?

I'm guessing ones located on shop street/ Edwards square..

I'm guessing ones located on shop street/ Edwards square..

So Cara, Asuoba (closing soon).

Struggling to think of others in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

So Cara, Asuoba (closing soon).

Struggling to think of others in recent weeks.

In the Eyre Square centre there was chopped swamp the candle shop and the cake shop near dunnes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I say alot of businesses are struggling especially in the shopping centre, a huge saturation of clothes shops in particular...

In the Eyre Square centre there was chopped swamp the candle shop and the cake shop near dunnes

Not in recent weeks, though. The latter two were before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Not in recent weeks, though. The latter two were before Christmas.

Duffys also closed on Mainguard st. As did a couple of Xmas let shops eg Deacys, River deep store.

Advertisement