Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sports direct are rumoured to be interested

Rumours are off-topic for this thread, but most of the actual stores (including the Galway outlet) are still owend by Roches Stores, and leased by Debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Are all the supermac's closed? I cant find any info on delivery from them.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Nua

Bredabe wrote: »

Yeah - they're all closed til further notice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yes, they all closed about 2 weeks ago, it on their website.
    supermacs.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Rumours are off-topic for this thread,.

So is back seat moding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,503 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

So is Marks and Spencer's still open in there at the moment?

They had a general ad on the radio earlier in the week stating all their stores are open as usual so I would think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I imagine M and S, the newsagents and the pharmacy in there are still running.

Yes, they all closed about 2 weeks ago, it on their website.
    supermacs.jpg
    Are they or anyone else doing deliveries?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    I imagine M and S, the newsagents and the pharmacy in there are still running.

Correct, as at last Saturday anyways.

Its only the food section of M&S that's open though, not the clothes.

• Advertisement

Sports direct are rumoured to be interested
    Mike Ashley, the owner of Sports Direct owned part of Debenhams before it went into administration last time (last year?). In Ireland that administration took the form of an examinership which allows for restructuring, renegotiation of leases etc.. He tried to take it over fully but instead had his investment wiped out. He might try again but the Irish company this time is in liquidation which is more extreme, the liquidator will be in charge and their goal will be to maximize the funds for the creditors quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Mike Ashley, the owner of Sports Direct owned part of Debenhams before it went into administration last time (last year?). In Ireland that administration took the form of an examinership which allows for restructuring, renegotiation of leases etc.. He tried to take it over fully but instead had his investment wiped out. He might try again but the Irish company this time is in liquidation which is more extreme, the liquidator will be in charge and their goal will be to maximize the funds for the creditors quickly.

Excellant insight, I remember him trying the take over alrite. Very shrewd businessman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Are they or anyone else doing deliveries?

Why not look in the Restaurants doing delivery thread.
    I'm on mobile so I can't link but it's only about 5 threads down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Correct, as at last Saturday anyways.

Its only the food section of M&S that's open though, not the clothes.

Clothing will likely reopen shortly as both Tesco and Dunnes have kept theirs open.

Clothing will likely reopen shortly as both Tesco and Dunnes have kept theirs open.

Tesco clothing and hardware is not open.

Arghus wrote: »
    Tesco clothing and hardware is not open.

Clothing and home sections are open in dual department stores e.g. Oranmore. Dunnes Terryland have moved some homeware to ground floor along with the usual depts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Big loss, that'll be quite a gaping hole, can't see who'd fill it. The M&S shopping center (as it could perhaps now be known) will effectively be useful only as a city center parking complex.

Shame to see Debenhams go. But finally a long overdue opportunity for M&S to take over the whole building. The West deserves a full-blown Marks.

Shame to see Debenhams go. But finally a long overdue opportunity for M&S to take over the whole building. The West deserves a full-blown Marks.

That's not how retail at large and M&S is going, I'd expect it to lay empty for some time. Retail was struggling before the crisis, many will be at or beyond breaking point whenever this is over.

That's not how retail at large and M&S is going, I'd expect it to lay empty for some time. Retail was struggling before the crisis, many will be at or beyond breaking point whenever this is over.

Weird to see people thanking a post predicting a dire future for the retail sector. Why would you welcome bad news for large numbers of employees and a lack of choice for the shopping public? I am well aware of the challenges faced by retail businesses these days but I try to be optimistic about the future for stalwarts such as Marks.

Weird to see people thanking a post predicting a dire future for the retail sector. Why would you welcome bad news for large numbers of employees and a lack of choice for the shopping public? I am well aware of the challenges faced by retail businesses these days but I try to be optimistic about the future for stalwarts such as Marks.

You have a funny way of interpretating his post

• Advertisement

You have a funny way of interpretating his post

There’s no interpretation. I don’t have an issue with the post itself, I just find it depressing that people would thank it. For me, thanks are for good news and helpful or inspirational posts. But that’s just me :o.

I find on boards that I give thanks for realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

There’s no interpretation. I don’t have an issue with the post itself, I just find it depressing that people would thank it. For me, thanks are for good news and helpful or inspirational posts. But that’s just me :o.

Yeah, kinda, strange to read into it too, people thank posts they agree with, have you not been here long?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

. Why would you welcome bad news for large numbers of employees and a lack of choice for the shopping public?

Online shopping has led to an explosion of choice, not a lack of it.

M&S is a shop I rarely if ever go into, have very little imo. From the very brief looks around their clothes section they aren’t even on the same planet as Debenhams who had a large selection clothes, lots of proper brand names etc. H&M similar, a place I wouldn’t ever go into all low quality cheap stuff, specially for men it is very unappealing.

Be a big disappointment if something much better doesn’t go into the space left by Debenhams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Dunnes Birarhill have their clothing section closed. Pretty sure Terryland do too.

Redo91 wrote: »
    Dunnes Birarhill have their clothing section closed. Pretty sure Terryland do too.

Brairhill is on a separate floor. As I said ones where they are dual department are open, Terryland was up until last Sunday when I was last in, not aware of it changing since. Are you pretty sure or certain? When were you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Brairhill is on a separate floor. As I said ones where they are dual department are open, Terryland was up until last Sunday when I was last in, not aware of it changing since. Are you pretty sure or certain? When were you there?

Clothing was also open in Westside Dunnes when I was there last week

flazio wrote: »
    Why not look in the Restaurants doing delivery thread.
    I'm on mobile so I can't link but it's only about 5 threads down.

Tks, I looked at each delivery company www and couldn't find one that did, that's when I asked here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Sorry I thought you meant dual department as in a department that does groceries and clothes. Didn’t know you were talking about places that do both but on separate floors.

Advertisement