Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zell12 wrote: »
    Aldi Ireland is set to lodge an application for a new discount foodstore in Ballybrit at a site on Old Monivea Road.
    https://connachttribune.ie/aldi-set-to-lodge-plan-for-discount-foodstore-in-ballybrit/

Based on the photo montage on the Connacht - looks to be the site which is currently a fenced off area opposite McGreals which was excavated.
    https://goo.gl/maps/HTnuDU74rji2bQzP6
    Would be great to see something done here.
    Been over a decade like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Based on the photo montage on the Connacht - looks to be the site which is currently a fenced off area opposite McGreals which was excavated.
    https://goo.gl/maps/HTnuDU74rji2bQzP6
    Would be great to see something done here.
    Been over a decade like this.

Was trying to figure out where exactly on the road it was going. Makes sense if it's there. Great to have one there too, save people having to be in traffic around Tuam rd, Sean mulvoy and Headford rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,006 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Ballybrit planning goes in this week, so we'll have exact location
    Aldi will also revamp its West City Centre Retail Park and Headford Road stores
    https://www.checkout.ie/retail/aldi-announces-two-new-stores-open-ballybrit-tuam-116486

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Evergreen seems to have opened in Gateway retail park in the past few days

Yep a great space for it, could even include a seating/dine in area.

In other news Ciarlantini are opening in the former Deacys fish shop, dunno if they've closed in Woodquay.

E Brun have the sign down and appears totally gone, was told it may be being acquired by the folks from Botown.

Clearing up my previous E Brun one, it's not.going to be part of Botown but has been acquired by the lads behind another pub in town and will reopen as such whenever they get the Covid greenlight to.

Pascal's have reopened their Edward Square cafe.

Galway Utd Xmas shop has opened in Odeon House also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Clearing up my previous E Brun one, it's not.going to be part of Botown but has been acquired by the lads behind another pub in town and will reopen as such whenever they get the Covid greenlight to.

Pascal's have reopened their Edward Square cafe.

Galway Utd Xmas shop has opened in Odeon House also.

Are you able to share who bought E Brun / what other bar they are behind?

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Are you able to share who bought E Brun / what other bar they are behind?

I'll pm you.

Lidl planning new store in Moycullen too
    They are opening in Knocknacarra, seeking Ballybrit, Moyculle, and rejected in Westside

mjp wrote: »
    Zambrero are a chain with few sites in Dublin but would be one of the poorer burrito joints up there. Not that tolteca are anything special either so expect it to be much of the same.
    Zambrero was first brought to Ireland in 2016 by former Leinster rugby player Darragh Fanning. Fanning said: “We were some of the first to bring this kind of tasty Mexican food to Ireland"
    Zambrero-Galway-Opening-350x350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Zambrero was first brought to Ireland in 2016 by former Leinster rugby player Darragh Fanning. Fanning said: “We were some of the first to bring this kind of tasty Mexican food to Ireland"

Miserable portion sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Don't know if it was mentioned earlier, Freshii in cross street seems to have been replaced by a hairdresser/barber.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

westgolf wrote: »
    Don't know if it was mentioned earlier, Freshii in cross street seems to have been replaced by a hairdresser/barber.

Nope, it's next door. Freshii was still open last week at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Nope, it's next door. Freshii was still open last week at least.

I stand corrected Mrs O'Bumble, thank you. Now I'm trying to figure out what was in that unit before it became the barber's ?

westgolf wrote: »
    I stand corrected Mrs O'Bumble, thank you. Now I'm trying to figure out what was in that unit before it became the barber's ?

Tax/accounting place or ladies clothes shop maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Miserable portion sizes.

And the most flavourless burrito I've ever had in Galway, and I've had newcastle centras infamous €4 burrito excuses.

I got a burrito during the opening week when they were €6, I've never been so dissapointed.

On the fortunate side I noticed some staff that had been retained since Tolteca. Pity I'll never eat there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Tax/accounting place or ladies clothes shop maybe?

As you face the store, "TaxAssist Accountants" were to the left and Carousel to the right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Kembali on abbey gate street won’t reopen after Christmas. Been there a long time, sad to see it go

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ArtyC wrote: »
    Kembali on abbey gate street won’t reopen after Christmas. Been there a long time, sad to see it go

FWIW, their Facebook post says

"we will be closing our doors for good in a few months time. No date yet, but when we do we will let you know"

https://www.facebook.com/GalwayKemBali

It says the shop has been trading for 25 years. He was a market trader before that. I'd guess that retirement is beckoning. And Covid won't have made stock purchases easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CCat

Aww, that's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Attended car wash & valet service open in the basement of the Gateway retail park Knocknacarra.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Petit Delice opening a second shop/bakery called truffle, selling chocolates and the usual
    opposite cookes restaurant ..https://www.facebook.com/363413360429778/posts/3487081774729572/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Petit Delice opening a second shop/bakery called truffle, selling chocolates and the usual
    opposite cookes restaurant ..https://www.facebook.com/363413360429778/posts/3487081774729572/

This will be known as the petit stone

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Redkite200

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Attended car wash & valet service open in the basement of the Gateway retail park Knocknacarra.

Do you know the name? do they have Website?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Do you know the name? do they have Website?

Gateway Car Wash and Valet Knocknacarra is their Facebook page name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

Miserable portion sizes.

Sounds like Supermacs then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Some of the first.... Was it about 2012 when boojum first ventured South of the border to Dublin? and they certainly weren't the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Miserable portion sizes.

Perfect description. Miserable.

Most places when they first open have large portions to get you in and spread the word! Seems a bit complicated with all the options compared to other similar establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jenno86 wrote: »
    Perfect description. Miserable.

Most places when they first open have large portions to get you in and spread the word! Seems a bit complicated with all the options compared to other similar establishments.

Glad it wasn't just me. Mentioned it on their FB page (since they seem to be advertising heavily); no response.

• Advertisement

BeardySi wrote: »
    Some of the first.... Was it about 2012 when boojum first ventured South of the border to Dublin? and they certainly weren't the first.

And La Salsa were dishing out burritos on the streets of Galway for a long time before that! Still miss La Salsa.

Advertisement