Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Redo91 wrote: »
    Top shop is going to be gone which means Edward Square only has Elverys left.

Eleverys is also up for lease, sign up over the shop.

That area would make a great cultural space, put a cover over it, have a food market with seating in the open space.

Dunnes would probably have something to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Bredabe wrote: »

Looks like that site also has Oxfam, SVP, Simon, Cope, etc online. My wife was delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

zell12 wrote: »
    So many 'To Let' signs on empty premises upon our main streets today

I hope retail rents fall.

Galway retail rents, like most rents in Ireland, are way too high.

Higher than Edinburgh and Birmingham.

Source: Cushman and Wakefield, Retail Market Snapshots, Dec 2018 levels, reproduced in Fig 4.6 of NPC Cost of Doing Business in Ireland, April 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eleverys is also up for lease, sign up over the shop.

That area would make a great cultural space, put a cover over it, have a food market with seating in the open space.

Elverys has been up for lease for many, many months, I think.

Agree it's a great space, but I'm not sure too many cultural enterprises could afford the rent.

Re the Arcadia collapse, what will be interesting is to see what happens with Anto Ryans womenswear: they've had a bit area in concessions from Wallis and DP. Losing both will be a big hit to mid-range women's clothing options in Galway - Penny's sell crap, Dunnes stuff is cut to fit the tit-less, boutiques are wayyy expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Elverys has been up for lease for many, many months, I think.

Agree it's a great space, but I'm not sure too many cultural enterprises could afford the rent.

Re the Arcadia collapse, what will be interesting is to see what happens with Anto Ryans womenswear: they've had a bit area in concessions from Wallis and DP. Losing both will be a bit hit to mid-range women's clothing options in Galway - Penny's sell crap, Dunnes stuff is cut to fit the tit-less, boutiques are wayyy expensive.

You'll have to head to M&S so. As for retail, it's the rent and rates on top of the move to online by every bored housewife that is ruining bricks and mortar.

• Advertisement

Detail about the proposed Aldi in Ballrbrit.

It is the site opposite McGreals - and the site is owned by the McGreals!

https://connachttribune.ie/concerns-raised-over-lack-of-parking-in-aldi-proposal/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Detail about the proposed Aldi in Ballrbrit.

It is the site opposite McGreals - and the site is owned by the McGreals!

https://connachttribune.ie/concerns-raised-over-lack-of-parking-in-aldi-proposal/

McGreals had plans to open a larger store there before the boom went bust.
    I presume the financials don't make sense for them to try and build it now.

Hope they survive the impending German invasion.

They should be fine, different type of market. Now if the likes of a Tesco Express went in there then yeah, they'd be in big trouble

Like I said, they own the land.

Unless the Germans have invaded, then I'd say it's part of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Based on the planning application they are still owners of the site.
    https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/20332/0
    Perhaps they might sell if permission is given - makes land more valuable.

• Advertisement

Based on the planning application they are still owners of the site.
    https://geo.galwaycity.ie/ePlan5/AppFileRefDetails/20332/0
    Perhaps they might sell if permission is given - makes land more valuable.

I'd imagine planning is a condition of the sale and the price already agreed. Why would Aldi purchase a site they can't use.
    Like I said earlier, McGreals had plans of their own to utilize the site. At this stage I'd say their just trying to recoup some of their original outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'd imagine planning is a condition of the sale and the price already agreed. Why would Aldi purchase a site they can't use.
    Like I said earlier, McGreals had plans of their own to utilize the site. At this stage I'd say their just trying to recoup some of their original outlay.

Apple did just that ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Apple did just that ;)

You're comparing Apples and Aldis

Ya agree, it will be an unusual ALDI store if its given the go ahead, have not come across one in the West that will have an Underground Car Park. McGreals did the hard lifting there, must have cost something to take out that much stone.
    I think it will be a great addition to the Ballybane/Ballybrit area, the site is currently just a big hole in the ground.

With Pat Joyce now owning two nearby outlets, I expect that the objections process will be "interesting".

Personally I'm not sure that another supermarket is needed, 1/2 way in between two existing "neighbourhood centre" areas. But that hole really does need to be put to a use which is street-front friendly to the neighbourhood.

With Pat Joyce now owning two nearby outlets, I expect that the objections process will be "interesting".

Personally I'm not sure that another supermarket is needed, 1/2 way in between two existing "neighbourhood centre" areas. But that hole really does need to be put to a use which is street-front friendly to the neighbourhood.

Any alternative to Joyce's would be welcome.
    Dunne's is a fine store but a shorter walk to that Aldi would be inviting to a lot in Castlepark, Ballybrit residents. Probably have a lot of walk ins from local businesses in the area too.

Any alternative to Joyce's would be welcome.
    Dunne's is a fine store but a shorter walk to that Aldi would be inviting to a lot in Castlepark, Ballybrit residents. Probably have a lot of walk ins from local businesses in the area too.

100% agree.

It'll be interesting to see how his voice box, RGDATA, approach this given McGreals stake

It'll be interesting to see how his voice box, RGDATA, approach this given McGreals stake

They've already made statements in regards to there being too little parking, area not zoned for that kind of retail and a prevalence of these types of stores. Think it was in the Tribune article on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 U2sir

Ya agree, it will be an unusual ALDI store if its given the go ahead, have not come across one in the West that will have an Underground Car Park. McGreals did the hard lifting there, must have cost something to take out that much stone.
    I think it will be a great addition to the Ballybane/Ballybrit area, the site is currently just a big hole in the ground.

Lidl have underground car park in Oranmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Aldi have an underground carpark in Loughrea too

mailburner wrote: »
    Aldi have an underground carpark in Loughrea too

Was this ALDI store built by ALDI do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

built by the McInerney's who run supervalue there, i beleive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭ratracer

So now that the threads are amalgamated.....
    The Happy Lobster fresh fish shop has opened in Ballindereen. Haven’t tried it out yet, but it’s in the agenda this week. Good luck to them, always good to see a business open up, and it takes bravery in these weird, unusual times!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Don't see it mentioned...

Papa Rich is opening in Athenry in the coming weeks.
    Located in the former Keane's/Gill's pub premises. No opening date that I know of but signage went up on the building this week and work is ongoing inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

aw wrote: »
    Don't see it mentioned...

Papa Rich is opening in Athenry in the coming weeks.
    Located in the former Keane's/Gill's pub premises. No opening date that I know of but signage went up on the building this week and work is ongoing inside.

They were meant to open in Claregalway last year. The sign even is in the window (above Hughes Supervalu) but nothing. Anyone know what's happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

indoor market at the former connaught tribune is still in the pipeline but not going to be up an running until 2022. Main building itself will co working office with the portershed moving in.

https://connachttribune.ie/new-tech-hub-in-galway-city-centre-gets-green-light/

Laviski wrote: »
    indoor market at the former connaught tribune is still in the pipeline but not going to be up an running until 2022.

At best.

We have no idea yet what the effects of Covid-accelerated change will be on the property market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

AIB Eyre Square Branch is closing and merging with Lynch's Castle Branch. Letters sent to customers today.

Hopefully the building doesn't lie idle too long.

Relevant article:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40129670.html

Advertisement