Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Eastwoods Bar in Doughiska re-opening , Noel from Sally Longs is taking it on

No He's not...

Passed by awhile ago and the door was open so popped in but its not ready to open yet, possibly early next week they hope. The guy who took it over is Brendan Ryan and it's gonna be called "The Half Barrel Inn".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

xtradel wrote: »
    No He's not...

Passed by awhile ago and the door was open so popped in but its not ready to open yet, possibly early next week they hope. The guy who took it over is Brendan Ryan and it's gonna be called "The Half Barrel Inn".

Brendan works for Noel from Sally's for a very long time,in various places

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

I'm aware of that but this is Brendans adventure, nothing to do with Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

The Mothercare in Wellpark has opened

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

xtradel wrote: »
    I'm aware of that but this is Brendans adventure, nothing to do with Noel.

Is Galway that small that everyone knows (or allegedly knows) the employment history and career plans of everyone who runs or plans to run a business?:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is Galway that small that everyone knows (or allegedly knows) the employment history and career plans of everyone who runs or plans to run a business?:D:D:D

Galway is small enough in fairness.

Good luck to Brendan, sound lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yeah, waking them up as they roar past in the street.

Basic planning: put the shops, pubs etc in the centre and family housing on the edges. Avoid donuts.

Sorry, I forgot everybody that goes out for drinks does be roaring and shouting when they are walking home. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

New hotel replacing the laundrette not far from there. Foster Court has pretty much become a hot spot for AirBnB. I don't think it would be a good spot for apartments considering the proximity to the noise of An Pucan, the back of O'Connells etc. but it feels like there is much more priority in the city to make more space for tourists and business to cater for them then there is for accommodating residents. Particularly anywhere close to the city centre. Eventually the place could become like downtown Dallas, Phoenix or Canary Wharf. Completely devoid of people in the quiet parts of the year with the locals then living further out and going to places closer to home.

Oh and more relevant to the topic. A vinyl record cafe opened on Abbeygate. It looks pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Think you have two different projects there. The Dean is the new hotel going up on the the Shannon Cleaners site. The project referenced here is at the area near the entrance to the Eyre Square centre. Would agree with you on the way the centre of the city is heading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Maxwell's is gone. 'Beef and Lobster' is opening in its place, they've another establishment in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Wompa1 wrote: »
    New hotel replacing the laundrette not far from there. Foster Court has pretty much become a hot spot for AirBnB. I don't think it would be a good spot for apartments considering the proximity to the noise of An Pucan, the back of O'Connells etc. but it feels like there is much more priority in the city to make more space for tourists and business to cater for them then there is for accommodating residents. Particularly anywhere close to the city centre. Eventually the place could become like downtown Dallas, Phoenix or Canary Wharf. Completely devoid of people in the quiet parts of the year with the locals then living further out and going to places closer to home.

Oh and more relevant to the topic. A vinyl record cafe opened on Abbeygate. It looks pretty cool.

:o

Owing to Galways size, I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,655 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

To be fair, if I was a tourist coming to Galway, especially in the 20-35 age bracket, accommodation directly across from the coach station to Dublin Airport, about a 3 minute walking distance of the BE & train station and 1-2 min walk away from Pucan, O Connells, Eyre Square etc - this is the EXACT location I would want to be staying.

Probably no better location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The Filling Station eco shop is opening on Abbeygate Street in the next couple of weeks, signage is up. On the corner where the "corner shop" was, opposite Cookes / Electric.... beside Finnegans.

They seem to sell eco-friendly products and pay-by-weight products so you can refill your own containers with zero packaging waste. Something new for Galway!

https://www.facebook.com/TheFillingStationGalway/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

FitzShane wrote: »
    To be fair, if I was a tourist coming to Galway, especially in the 20-35 age bracket, accommodation directly across from the coach station to Dublin Airport, about a 3 minute walking distance of the BE & train station and 1-2 min walk away from Pucan, O Connells, Eyre Square etc - this is the EXACT location I would want to be staying.

Probably no better location.

Indeed.

Fyi the planning app being discussed is for a house of two on the west side of Eyre Square, down from the Skef.

There are very few residents in Eyre Square itself or Shop St. But there are lots on the surrounding streets - far more buildings than you realise have apartments above them.

In the area there is only really College Green, Lough Atalia, Bohermore and Foster Court.

College Green and Foster Court are already pretty AirBnB heavy. Not sure about Lough Atalia or Bohermore. I'm guessing Bohermore still has some of the older people still living there.

In the area there is only really College Green, Lough Atalia, Bohermore and Foster Court.

College Green and Foster Court are already pretty AirBnB heavy. Not sure about Lough Atalia or Bohermore. I'm guessing Bohermore still has some of the older people still living there.
    You're forgetting the hundreds of apartments/houses on Augustine st, Middle St, abbeygate st, woodquay, The Docks, I could go on and on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    The Filling Station eco shop is opening on Abbeygate Street in the next couple of weeks, signage is up. On the corner where the "corner shop" was, opposite Cookes / Electric.... beside Finnegans.

They seem to sell eco-friendly products and pay-by-weight products so you can refill your own containers with zero packaging waste. Something new for Galway!

https://www.facebook.com/TheFillingStationGalway/
    To my memory, there were a number of healthfood shops offering such a service in Galway over 2 decades ago. Foodstuffs, the Ecover range of cleaning products and essential oils all part of it.

They also tended to use biodegradable or recyclable packaging where customers weren't using their own containers.

Still, nice to see that good ideas can be re-used, recycled and repackaged as something new every generation.

You're forgetting the hundreds of apartments/houses on Augustine st, Middle St, abbeygate st, woodquay, The Docks, I could go on and on.

Looks like I can't share a screenshot but do a search on AirBnB and TripAdvisor for a slow month in the future for Galway City. Take a look at the Docks, Augustine, Middle St and Woodquay.

Maybe that'll change with the upcoming permit requirement.

Looks like I can't share a screenshot but do a search on AirBnB and TripAdvisor for a slow month in the future for Galway City. Take a look at the Docks, Augustine, Middle St and Woodquay.

Maybe that'll change with the upcoming permit requirement.
    A 3 night midweek stay in October or November brought up no more than 10 properties across the city centre. So unless there are literally hundreds or even thousands of the cities stock on there not showing up then the point is kind of moot.

• Advertisement

Can't edit my post on mobile but maybe there's a filter to show unavailable properties which would be more enlightening. Also this is off topic so I'm gonna leave it there.

Can't edit my post on mobile but maybe there's a filter to show unavailable properties which would be more enlightening. Also this is off topic so I'm gonna leave it there.

That would be. I was checking in January. After school holidays. There's a lot on there...for now. Also, don't forget Trip Advisor (which does show unavailable) it's not as popular as AirBnB but still has a good few properties on there. Seems like the older crowd use it since it was around first. Before I moved back, I used that instead of AirBnB since it seemed less likely to adjust around demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Going back to businesses opening. Mace Liosban is now open. Usual shop, deli and seating area.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Robbo wrote:
    To my memory, there were a number of healthfood shops offering such a service in Galway over 2 decades ago. Foodstuffs, the Ecover range of cleaning products and essential oils all part of it.

Robbo wrote:
    They also tended to use biodegradable or recyclable packaging where customers weren't using their own containers.

I remember a place across from debenhams (roches stores) in the early 90s which used this concept... Also I think there was one in eyre sq centre at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Dunnes to expand in Knocknacarra and the original planned KFC drive thru is to be replaced with 3 food and beverage units according to this article.

https://connachttribune.ie/dunnes-stores-plan-knocknacarra-expansion-009/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No KFC? Aww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No KFC? Aww

If it was to be anything like the one beside the Clayton, you are probably better off. Rank. The worst kfc I've ever been in anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

tototoe wrote: »
    If it was to be anything like the one beside the Clayton, you are probably better off. Rank. The worst kfc I've ever been in anywhere.

Always found the food "ok", but the Drive thru could never get an order right, and mistakes always in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No KFC? Aww
    From reading the piece, I though the KFC was moving into the building instead of being in the car park.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 GALWAYGUY2019

Anyone know when Scrumdiddly opening

Advertisement