Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little help with location of tattoos..

• 01-04-2019 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey guys, I’m wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. I have read the PSNI policy on tattoos however I’m a bit confused. Do they now in current times think it would be acceptable to have one for instance on your inner forearm providing it was covered up? The confusion comes in whenever I hear people say tattoos are unacceptable because of say a short sleeve order during the summer? Any advice or experience on the matter would help greatly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

Hey guys, I’m wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. I have read the PSNI policy on tattoos however I’m a bit confused. Do they now in current times think it would be acceptable to have one for instance on your inner forearm providing it was covered up? The confusion comes in whenever I hear people say tattoos are unacceptable because of say a short sleeve order during the summer? Any advice or experience on the matter would help greatly.

You'll just have to wear long sleeves all the time bud. Plenty of peelers have full sleeve tattoos.

However if said tattoo is obscene or offensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

YNWA27 wrote: »
    You'll just have to wear long sleeves all the time bud. Plenty of peelers have full sleeve tattoos.

However if said tattoo is obscene or offensive...

Thanks mate, it’s nothing offensive or discriminatory in any way it is more the placement of the tattoo itself. It can be easily covered up with a long sleeve shirt. I know the policy itself is a bit of a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 R007

No requirements to wear long sleeve shirts to hide tattoos. Policy has changed and they can be displayed with normal short sleeve uniform. Anything offensive or discriminatory will more than likely cause your vetting to be denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Unknown117

out of curiosity, are hand tattoo’s allowed? can’t find anything that directly says no, can imagine they arnt but would like some clear direction if anyone knows? cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Vi123

Directly from their guidance for applicants

”All officers are required to adhere with the Corporate Uniform Standard. Therefore careful consideration will be given by the organisation to any tattoos on the head, face, neck and hands or tattoos which cannot be covered by uniform. This includes the size, nature and prominence of the tattoos in question.”

My understanding is they will scrutinise head, face, neck and tattoos more but depending on the size, nature and prominence, they’ll make their decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Unknown117

thanks mate, already read it still not very clear on wether they’re acceptable or not what a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

IMO tattoos of any kind that are visible to the public, look extremely unprofessional and make the PSNI appear to be just another police service on a par with Norfolk or similar 😮

The PSNI has enough credibility problems currently, under Simple Simon Byrne-Out, without adding to the mix. See tonight's BBC Spotlight, for the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭NeeNaw21

My tattoos have zero bearing on my operational capability or how i conduct myself.

I didn't get them to hide them.

The police service should reflect tge society it serves. The public have tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pizza4Life

IMO, your opinion means absolutely nothing and it's a good job too. What next? females with short hair? people with piercings? Get a grip on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnny990

Lads have tattoos . Doesn't make one it if difference how no professional u r. R how u do a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Not sure my tattoos would be welcomed.

Advertisement