Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring of new build

Options
  • 02-04-2019 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking for some info on wiring of new build.

Could someone tell me some new regs that have changed in last 5yrs with regard to wiring residential house. Or one that they feel are more important ones that need to addressed ?

For example iv been told the freezer now must be on its own RCD things .

Iv been out domestic seen for 5yrs and I want brush up .

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrWhiteYo

Hi here's a few bits to get U started

• Kitchen
    All under and above counter units ie. Fridges, washing machines, extractor units must each have their own spur isolation feeding their own 1gang socket. Usually meaning you supply two radials to kitchen one feeding regular sockets for kettle, toaster etc. and the other feeding all the appliances/machines

•Hotpress
    Immersion switch to be fit outside hotpress.
    10² earth to be run to hotpress to bond piping.

•Bathrooms
    From 10amp Rcbo at board position run 1.5 t&e to bathroom light switch outside room and linked to fan isolator if required
    3pole Fan isolator ran from bathroom light switch if timer fan is required. Isolator mounted outside bathroom
    10² ran to shower isolator and then into shower
    Pull cord must be located outside zone 1
    Bathroom heaters /blow fans supplied from 20amp Rcbo at board with 2.5t&e switch mounted outside bathroom.

•Ring circuits
    rarely used these days. Radial socket circuits are the safer option. Take care to divide number of sockets over radials as much as possible.

Heating.
    10² earth to main gas piping.

Earthrod.
    10² cable ran to earthrod outside the home.

External sockets.
    Musts be fed from an 20amp Rcbo at board.

That's all I can think of at minute Hope this helps

quotef4585"]Hi all,

Im looking for some info on wiring of new build.

Could someone tell me some new regs that have changed in last 5yrs with regard to wiring residential house. Or one that they feel are more important ones that need to addressed ?

For example iv been told the freezer now must be on its own RCD things .

Iv been out domestic seen for 5yrs and I want brush up .

Thanks in advance,[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭crf450

Thanks MrWhiteYo really appreciate all info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭3DataModem

"External sockets.
    Musts be fed from an 20amp Rcbo at board. "

Does that mean they must be directly wired to the board? I've a new house and am adding an EV charging point, and the sparks who is doing it told me that if the external socket is directly wired then he can repurpose it for the EV point, but if it is on an internal circuit then he will have to wire the EV point directly to the board (a massive pain).

Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

3DataModem wrote:
    Any advice appreciated.

What he says makes sense
    The external socket could be on it's own dedicated circuit, if it is he'll use it.

What car have you, at best you'd be limited to a 20 amp charge so something set to say 16 amps, an outlander maybe? It would mean if you got a 32 amps charger in the future you'd need to pull in a new cable

If you are pulling in a new cable try getting a 6sq.mm and change the RCBO to 32 amp. Recently saw one going in at 10.sq with a 40 amp breaker on the board (the unit itself had a 40 amp RCBO built into it)

A dedicated external cable from it's own 20 amp RCBO will be able for a 3.5KW charge

If you ever upgrade your car to a 7KW charger then you'll need to pull in a new supply anyway.

Advertisement