Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to have someone build your PC for you?

Options
  • 02-04-2019 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

So I’m currently buying my first ever gaming PC.
    I’ve got some minor experience with putting together PC’s in the past but I’m nervous that I’ll end up
    A) Screwing up and not connecting things or setting up the PC correctly
    B) Breaking something
    C) Awful cable management
    D) Not setting up the PC correctly once I’ve turned it on and not tweaking the settings or BIOS to get the most out of my components
    So my question is, is there somewhere in Ireland (preferably in Dublin) that I can go to and have a professional put the pc together and set it up for me/with me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

People here are generally willing to help. I'm in north Dublin. 20+ years building machines.

Otherwise any decent computer shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

LeeMaher92 wrote: »
    So I’m currently buying my first ever gaming PC.
    I’ve got some minor experience with putting together PC’s in the past but I’m nervous that I’ll end up
    A) Screwing up and not connecting things or setting up the PC correctly
    B) Breaking something
    C) Awful cable management
    D) Not setting up the PC correctly once I’ve turned it on and not tweaking the settings or BIOS to get the most out of my components
    So my question is, is there somewhere in Ireland (preferably in Dublin) that I can go to and have a professional put the pc together and set it up for me/with me?

A) There's not much can go wrong in setup, 64-bit Windows and install all your drivers, this goes for d) too. With the like of configuring the bios in most cases all you have to do is tell it what order to read your harddrives, and if you've only 1 OS even that is optional

B) Can happen, just go easy I guess. They're more resilient than you'd think to a knock or two

C) You never get better without practice, I'm no whizz on the cable management but a few small zip ties to keep everything aligned and just guide things through the case so your cables are relatively flat to the case

D) See A), some stuff needs drivers, namely the GPU to work at its best, its just software, pretty much everything else just works or it doesn't. There's cases like RAM not being set to run at full speed but if you don't want to delve into the bios then its not essential until you're more confident

There was a list of people willing to help people build knocking around and their locations, i think its stickied somewhere, if you do find someone definitely get them to give you a rundown where you're not sure as ye go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Found it there, it's quiet these days but you should still be able to find someone

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056197599

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

I built a PC for the first time last summer. Was something i was going to do before but was very nervous about it and ordered a premade one from ebay. Roll on 6 or 7 years and i decided to do it myself.

I wasnt confident i have to say. Id replaced the GPU on my old machine and the PSU, that was the extent of my expierence. I got great help on here with regard to picking parts and what spec to go for. I watched many videos on youtube on how to do it. I recognise the lad in the video above. Probably watched that one :)

I went for a case that was bigger than required so make it a little easier on myself. One where cable management would be as easy as possible. If i remember correctly it took about 3-4 hours.... a lot of that was the on button wasnt hooked up correctly. Took me some time and sweating to figure that out. Once that was corrected every worked like a dream. I reckon i could do it now in 90 mins to 2 hours. It was very satisfying getting it done myself. Very pround of what i have in the corner of my living room now.

My advice would be to watch a few videos and see what you think. Down the line it will be easier to upgrade make changes having put it together yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

It's not that hard to self build. You can't really plug in anything wrong as it wouldn't fit in the first place. The only thing I would recommend before ordering parts is to ask maybe here if all parts are capable with each other.

Loads of YouTube tutorials you can watch and follow step by step too if you needed.

In terms of installing windows, it's very easy. The YouTube guides more then likely cover that part too but basically all you have to do is boot to you disk drive / USB, select a few simple options like language etc, make sure you choose a 64 bit version of windows and select which SSD or hard drive you want to be you boot drive. The rest will be automatic.

Once you've booted into windows you want to download either the Nvidia or AMD utility tool depend on what GPU you have and update the drivers.

Then just let windows updates run until there is no more left. Windows 10 is very good for getting the right drivers installed automatically so you should have to worry about any except the ones for the GPU as mentioned earlier.

Restart system and you good to go.

If you have more then 1 hard drive it may not show in windows as its not assigned. Simple Google search will walk you through that. Only takes a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

Considering this is probably the start of a life long hobby it’s probably best if I try to put it together myself so that I have some experience going forward in terms of upgrading parts! My main concern was probably making sure stuff connected properly and also setting up my drivers correctly but it seems Windows 10 will take care of most of that for me! Thanks for all the feeback boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

LeeMaher92 wrote:
    Considering this is probably the start of a life long hobby it’s probably best if I try to put it together myself so that I have some experience going forward in terms of upgrading parts! My main concern was probably making sure stuff connected properly and also setting up my drivers correctly but it seems Windows 10 will take care of most of that for me! Thanks for all the feeback boys

You'll be grand :) you'll feel accomplished after your first build is up and running smoothly and it gives you some bragging rights with friends ;)

Advertisement