Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency or Housing Agency Accommodation in Dublin ?

Options
  • 02-04-2019 6:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a friend who's family home is been sold in South Dublin as his last remaining parent died, now he will get 80k proceeds from this sale.
    Now this is the only money he will have along with his weekly social welfare.
    He suffers from anxiety attacks \ depression etc so he can't hold down a job, this can be certified by a Doctor.
    My question is there any Housing Agency, County Council etc in Dublin who can provide him with accommodation ?

Any response appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

whiz wrote:
    I have a friend who's family home is been sold in South Dublin as his last remaining parent died, now he will get 80k proceeds from this sale. Now this is the only money he will have along with his weekly social welfare. He suffers from anxiety attacks \ depression etc so he can't hold down a job, this can be certified by a Doctor. My question is there any Housing Agency, County Council etc in Dublin who can provide him with accommodation ?

My suspicions is a disturbing no, hopefully I'm wrong though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have a friend who's family home is been sold in South Dublin as his last remaining parent died, now he will get 80k proceeds from this sale.
    He suffers from anxiety attacks \ depression etc so he can't hold down a job, this can be certified by a Doctor.
    My question is there any Housing Agency, County Council etc in Dublin who can provide him with accommodation ?

Any response appreciated

Is he on the housing list already? There are other agencies that have housing who take people from housing lists i.e Alone for elderly people and Cluid https://www.cluid.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why can he not rent himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Is he on the housing list already? There are other agencies that have housing who take people from housing lists i.e Alone for elderly people and Cluid https://www.cluid.ie/

Yep he has gone on housing lists...cluid I wasn't aware of that ...Is there any other accommodation lists etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Yep he has gone on housing lists...cluid I wasn't aware of that ...Is there any other accommodation lists etc ?

I think all the agencies take people from the council housing lists only i.e. they don't maintain their own lists, Tuath is another example of a social housing agency https://www.tuathhousing.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think all the agencies take people from the council housing lists only i.e. they don't maintain their own lists, Tuath is another example of a social housing agency https://www.tuathhousing.ie/

That one is new to me. Looks good .

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Hi Guys,

Any response appreciated

You mention that your friend is on housing lists but is he on the council list (I assume SDCOCO)? To be considered for nearly all approved housing bodies a person has to be on the local council list. Being on the list will also make the individual eligible for state rent support either HAP or RS.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

You mention that your friend is on housing lists but is he on the council list (I assume SDCOCO)? To be considered for nearly all approved housing bodies a person has to be on the local council list. Being on the list will also make the individual eligible for state rent support either HAP or RS.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What age is this "friend"?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed there is only one list for council/social housing. But ...

Firstly do make sure that the council are updated about the changing circumstances.

Also contact the charities listed , and also Respond, directly. As well as regular social housing for people from the list they do have some other schemes, especially for people with some equity, and getting into these is a different list.

Your friend should also talk to his / her GP or any mental health professional involved, to see if they know of any local options.

Also try local charities like Vincent de Paul, Simon, McVerry Trust etc.

Having more than I think 20k in the bank is going to be an issue for welfare eligibility. (I'm not surde how it affects housing eligibility.) It may be worth a trip to citizen's Information to find out about the obligations and options involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Having more than I think 20k in the bank is going to be an issue for welfare eligibility. (I'm not surde how it affects housing eligibility.) It may be worth a trip to citizen's Information to find out about the obligations and options involved.

The 80k probably will be an issue, methods of 'investing' some of it maybe required

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

His 80,000 + will put him above the threshold for social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will he be entitled to any help if he has €80,000 in the bank though?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No suggestions of breaking the law, or "working around" the law

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If your friend is on job seeker’s allowance then the 80k might effect his/her payments. I'm thinking you can have 25 or 30k in the credit union but over that & your payment gets reduced, I think. Happy to be corrected if I'm mistaken

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    The 80k probably will be an issue, methods of 'investing' some of it maybe required

It may be a useful investment - for example in some form of shared ownership (I'm using this phrase very loosely, not in relation to any scheme) with a voluntary housing body.

Investment in a property that you are using is the best way of holding assets if you are on welfare. (And totally legal.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, your friend won't need emergency accommodation as he will be able to afford to pay rent for a substantial period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Some part of the country he could buy a place to live for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are NGO housing associations working in that area if he has ongoing and enduring mental health issues does he get community support from a mental health nurse or is he involved in any advocacy groups for those with mental health issues does he attend day services. They would all be places where he would get advice help and support.

mariaalice wrote: »
    There are NGO housing associations working in that area if he has ongoing and enduring mental health issues does he get community support from a mental health nurse or is he involved in any advocacy groups for those with mental health issues does he attend day services. They would all be places where he would get advice help and support.

Thanks for this. There are serious health issues involved here and support and guidance are needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Would he buy a house outside Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hi Guys,

Any response appreciated

So what you're saying is he is receiving an inheritance that would allow him to rent his own place for 6 years or rent a room in a share house for 12-18 years and he wants to be given housing? Tell him to **** off and pay privately.

Alternatively as he cant or wont work he can move into the country side where the 80k will probably last him until retirement. He could probably even buy a small house in the country for 80k.

So what you're saying is he is receiving an inheritance that would allow him to rent his own place for 6 years or rent a room in a share house for 12-18 years and he wants to be given housing? Tell him to **** off and pay privately.

Alternatively as he cant or wont work he can move into the country side where the 80k will probably last him until retirement. He could probably even buy a small house in the country for 80k.

If he is on a means-tested payment having the 80k would affect that, supported housing for those with severe and enduring mental illness is not a free house, I doubt if anxiety and depression count as a severe and enduring mental illness but I am not sure. A lot of people with depression and anxiety work so I don't get why he could not get a job.

mariaalice wrote: »
    If he is on a means-tested payment having the 80k would affect that, supported housing for those with severe and enduring mental illness is not a free house, I doubt if anxiety and depression count as a severe and enduring mental illness but I am not sure. A lot of people with depression and anxiety work so I don't get why he could not get a job.

wondering why this has gone in this direction? Op says clearly he cannot work and that a dr will attest to that .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Graces7 wrote: »
    wondering why this has gone in this direction? Op says clearly he cannot work and that a dr will attest to that .

I doubt a Dr will say they cannot work because they have depression if anything they would suggest employment would be beneficial ,

but this is going massively off topic

€80,000 + is putting well over the threshold for social housing in sdcc

Gatling wrote: »
    I doubt a Dr will say they cannot work because they have depression if anything they would suggest employment would be beneficial ,

but this is going massively off topic

€80,000 + is putting well over the threshold for social housing in sdcc

Please reread the OP? "Cannot hold a job" and medical support for that statement

OP needs to contact eg cluid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please reread the OP? "Cannot hold a job" and medical support for that statement

OP needs to contact eg cluid

To make a donation is it??

The guy is lucky to be in a position to comfortably cover his accommodation costs in the medium term.
    Hopefully in the next few years his mental health will improve and he'll be able to return to the workforce.
    He'll still have a good chunk of his inheritance to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Jesus the ignorance in relation to an illness. Nobody wants to be in this position.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    To make a donation is it??

The guy is lucky to be in a position to comfortably cover his accommodation costs in the medium term.
    Hopefully in the next few years his mental health will improve and he'll be able to return to the workforce.
    He'll still have a good chunk of his inheritance to fall back on.

You know nothing about the OPs age, the damage done by early psychoactive drug trials, and his / hefty labour market.

• Advertisement

cursai wrote: »
    Jesus the ignorance in relation to an illness. Nobody wants to be in this position.

It's more the way the op has presented the issue than anything else of course nobody wants to be ill.

Advertisement