Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons at Heuston station closed

Options
  • 02-04-2019 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭

The main Easons store at Heuston station has permanently closed since last weekend.

I think it has been there since the mid 90s, possibly earlier?

I for one will be sad to see it go. It was a great facility to have in Heuston and will be missed.

Great to have a place to browse and buy books there and also special occasion cards etc were available even in high demand times like Christmas. Helpful and informed staff.

I am surprised it has closed as I often saw it rammed with customers and long queues at the check out.

The smaller easons concession that sells newspapers and magazines is remaining open.

I remember great excitement there one morning when one of the Harry Potter books was released and a crowd of school pupils got off a train and went directly there to buy copies.

I’d say a lot of people traveling to and from Heuston over the years will have fond memories of the store.

Does anyone want to share memories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Only ever bought stationary there as the book selection appeared to be geared more toward the casual commuter reader but it was what it was. Are you definitely sure it's closed permanently?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Passenger wrote: »
    Only ever bought stationary there as the book selection appeared to be geared more toward the casual commuter reader but it was what it was. Are you definitely sure it's closed permanently?

Yes. They have cleared it out and they have the signs taken off the front and shutters down. Sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Ah that is sad. I am very rarely in Heuston Station these days but our family used the train a lot when we were kids (my dad worked in CIE) and we always got our comics to read in Easons before heading off on a journey!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The bookshop is closed. The newsagents will be doing some, but it's small.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had to look on Streetview to even see where the bookshop part was - I had never noticed it!

'Bookshops' in train stations and airports mostly sell magazines and a small amount of mass market paperbacks; with magazine ranges contracting there'll be space in the newsagents for some books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

L1011 wrote: »
    Had to look on Streetview to even see where the bookshop part was - I had never noticed it!

'Bookshops' in train stations and airports mostly sell magazines and a small amount of mass market paperbacks; with magazine ranges contracting there'll be space in the newsagents for some books.
    Easons in fairness had a great range up until the end.

One particular gent who worked there should’ve been on mastermind such was his literary knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

It was a particularly awkward shop in its design.

Sorry to see the shop close however.

Advertisement