Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb : 1gb/s FTTH : slow!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

So I already told someone to come but they still ask me... And it's. seems that this time right or wrong I have to paid for the technician visit. :

Here is the email they sent :

I tried contacting you. We logged a fault on Friday, an engineer did not attend
    the site due no visible issue, your light levels and all other readings are
    perfect. We really appreciate that you have carried out various troubleshooting
    on your end in order to obtain a higher speed test result on your devices. We
    have been supporting this service for over 2 years now and we have never came
    across a single case where the light levels were perfect and it wasn't the
    customers own hardware or software resulting low speed test results. Have you
    checked the specifications on your PC? What is the disk write speed?

If you wish for an engineer to come out and run a speed test with their own
    laptop there will be a call out charge of €97.56 (ex VAT) , I can escalate with
    the managers in Open Eir and explain that you accept the charges. The delay in
    an engineer attending the site is due to there been no issue on our end and
    Open Eir's end.

Please let me know if you wish to proceed with an engineer visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭This is it

Escalate to Digiweb management and use the threat of cancellation

This is it wrote: »
    Escalate to Digiweb management and use the threat of cancellation

I told them to sent a technician alright just so they confirm that the issue is not from my side (even though I told them twice before already but anyway)

Also said thatI did some test with your own router, with a Synology RT1900AC and Asus Router and I even connected a PC straight to the ONT with PPPOE (no router), the result remain the same with all device.

(PC with have M.2 SSD (MZ-V6E500BW <Samsung> with a read speed of 3,200 MB/s),/ MacBook Pro Retina 2019 15inch with a ultra fast SSD (3.2GB/s))

Told that this wouldn’t make any logical sense that the speed test result are the same across three different router (not to mention the PC in PPPoE)

I Also mentioned again.... That the fibre cable don’t really seems fitted correctly.

Anyway will see, If they do dispatch someone from Eir I guess they gonna start to believe me (so far they are so stubborn thinking it's my hardware).

If not then yes I'll try to talk with management but they so stubborn + my horrible French accent, not sure they gonna do anything for me, not to mention I'm a customer for over 7 days now...)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There's two options here.

A) Its a last mile fault, the OpenEir tech should find that if so (the guy they're sending)

B) Its an issue from the NGA handoff onwards - ie in Digiwebs network. The tech that is sent cannot do anything about this.

If you get an all clear with the callout DW will need to escalate it to their network techs for a capacity issue.

ED E wrote: »
    There's two options here.

A) Its a last mile fault, the OpenEir tech should find that if so (the guy they're sending)

B) Its an issue from the NGA handoff onwards - ie in Digiwebs network. The tech that is sent cannot do anything about this.

If you get an all clear with the callout DW will need to escalate it to their network techs for a capacity issue.

Unlikely to be a capacity issue if it's the same speeds each time I would think? You'd expect it to fluctuate depending on the time the test is done?

• Advertisement

Yes but either way the OpenEir tech will note the poor network performance and report that to DW right? because at this stage they are convinced that the issue with from my router (and they router too...).

I know Eir techs aren't great for detail on xdsl and I'm not sure what level of troubleshooting they'll go into but a simple iPERF from the handoff should prove straight away that the issue is not on your network.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unlikely to be a capacity issue if it's the same speeds each time I would think? You'd expect it to fluctuate depending on the time the test is done?

Fluctuating from 30 to 390 DS per Kevins posts.
    kevincork wrote: »
    Yes but either way the OpenEir tech will note the poor network performance and report that to DW right? because at this stage they are convinced that the issue with from my router (and they router too...).

Ehhhm, most likely response from him would be "Tests OK" I'd guess.
    I know Eir techs aren't great for detail on xdsl and I'm not sure what level of troubleshooting they'll go into but a simple iPERF from the handoff should prove straight away that the issue is not on your network.

iPERF is not a term an FST will have ever heard. They'll check the link as far as the OLT, their responsibility ends there. If the meter auths it'll be against as an eir test CSI on an Eir BRAS - bypassing any OLO issues.

The DW router will give them the OLO speed if they're bothered to bring a laptop to test that, seeing what Kevin saw.

Apologies, didn't see mention of fluctuating speeds.

Just for in information KN came and confirm my result, then OpenEir came and they also confirm the same result with both DW router and my own one, then they wanted to tried with a EIR modem and it's obviously wasn't working so I offer to have a look and change the PPPoE for DW and then we did the test ... same result , between 300 to 400 ... still waiting for DW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

kevincork wrote: »
    Just for in information KN came and confirm my result, then OpenEir came and they also confirm the same result with both DW router and my own one, then they wanted to tried with a EIR modem and it's obviously wasn't working so I offer to have a look and change the PPPoE for DW and then we did the test ... same result , between 300 to 400 ... still waiting for DW

Thats oddly consistent. What do you get at about 6-7am?

Advertisement