Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost for removal of load baring wall

• 02-04-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭

Hi,

Would anyone have a rough estimate for the removal of a concrete block load baring wall between a kitchen/living room approx. 3.5m in length?

We will be doing up the kitchen so just looking for a ball park figure.

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

I got a very rough estimate of €10k to knock a wall between kitchen and dining and replace with steel supporting beam. Apparently the steel alone will be €3-4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Is load bearing where the wall supports the roof or the jousts of the second floor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

I got a very rough estimate of €10k to knock a wall between kitchen and dining and replace with steel supporting beam. Apparently the steel alone will be €3-4K.

Obviously I have not seen the job but 10k sounds very high! Is there a radiator/s on the wall that need moving? Any electrucs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is load bearing where the wall supports the roof or the jousts of the second floor?

Thats correct

tradesman wrote: »
    Thats correct

I got a load bearing wall knocked, RSJ installed for 2,500*. Lovely job. Now the wall was only supporting jousts and not the roof. Wall was about 7-9 meters long. RSJ was 600€. I had been quoted 9,000 by someone else for the same job.

Job was checked by an engineer friend too, and he said it was perfect.

*Had other stuff done around the house that was included in that price, like plastering and fixing holes in partition walls etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 iregoyeah

I got a load bearing wall knocked, RSJ installed for 2,500*. Lovely job. Now the wall was only supporting jousts and not the roof. Wall was about 7-9 meters long. RSJ was 600€. I had been quoted 9,000 by someone else for the same job.

*Had other stuff done around the house that was included in that price, like plastering and fixing holes in partition walls etc

Hi c.p.w.g.w,

We're looking to get a load-bearing wall knocked down soon and was hoping you'd be able to let us know who did the work? Sounds like they did a great job.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Whosasnoozie

In same boat here. Not sure if ours is load bearing or not though, how can u tell? Practically all our neighbours have it done, kitchen/dining room wall. If not a load bearing wall, can anyone recommend price range? No radiators or anything, and if any floorboard/floor tile damage, we have spare ones. In limerick/Clare area.
    Checking our surveyors report, it says this wall would need 100mms beam.

(Don't mean to hijack post, was going to post the same question on here but saw this one was so recent!)

iregoyeah wrote: »
    Hi c.p.w.g.w,

We're looking to get a load-bearing wall knocked down soon and was hoping you'd be able to let us know who did the work? Sounds like they did a great job.

Cheers

Where are you located?

In same boat here. Not sure if ours is load bearing or not though, how can u tell? Practically all our neighbours have it done, kitchen/dining room wall. If not a load bearing wall, can anyone recommend price range? No radiators or anything, and if any floorboard/floor tile damage, we have spare ones. In limerick/Clare area.
    Checking our surveyors report, it says this wall would need 100mms beam.

(Don't mean to hijack post, was going to post the same question on here but saw this one was so recent!)

Checking the direction of the joist on the second floor, they run perpendicular to the floor boards.

So if the joists are perpendicular to the wall, it's very likely it's load bearing

• Registered Users Posts: 9 iregoyeah

Where are you located?

Dublin 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Idonotknow

I’m the exact same, really want a wall knocked and a good few other bits but no idea where to start getting someone

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BMW318iSEAuto

Any chance you could provide contact details for whoever did the above job? I'm looking to put a new single door into a load bearing wall so assume it will just need knocking out and putting in a concrtete lintel. Job will be in Leopardstown. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cr1266

Hi there, I just spotted this thread and was also wondering if you could share the contact details of the tradesman who knocked down the load-bearing wall for you?

Thank you so much!

Advertisement