Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lamb weighing scales

• 02-04-2019 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

Looking at buying a lamb weighing scale, anyone got advice on make/models to buy or avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Hi all,

Looking at buying a lamb weighing scale, anyone got advice on make/models to buy or avoid?

Avoid the ones u have to push down with your foot to activate the scales.

In other words any scales that is independent suspended are the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Sami23

Many here with Cormac lamb scales - would ye recommend them ?
    Or is there better ones out there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Sami23 wrote: »
    Many here with Cormac lamb scales - would ye recommend them ?
    Or is there better ones out there ?

Have one of them but too small to weigh ewes if you wanted to, grand for weighing lambs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just make sure you get a 100kg one. I bought one a couple of years back that had 100kg on the box but the scales inside were 500kg. Useless for weighing lambs.

arctictree wrote: »
    Just make sure you get a 100kg one. I bought one a couple of years back that had 100kg on the box but the scales inside were 500kg. Useless for weighing lambs.

Good advice.
    Do most lads have analogue or digital clocks or which would be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We got one from O Donnell Engineering, works perfectly !!

solerina wrote: »
    We got one from O Donnell Engineering, works perfectly !!

What sort of money if you don't mind me asking ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

What sort of money if you don't mind me asking ?

I think 600-700, but can’t remember precisely

arctictree wrote: »

Cormac scales come with a 250kg clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭memorystick

Stupid question I know but will a fat pig fit into all makes of sheep scales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Stupid question I know but will a fat pig fit into all makes of sheep scales?

A pig is a lot longer than a sheep,.......isn't it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭memorystick

wrangler wrote: »
    A pig is a lot longer than a sheep,.......isn't it :confused:

I weighed pigs years ago in my uncle's sheep scales and it was tight. I'm buying one that will do both so need to be sure.

Cormac scales come with a 250kg clock

Priced the Cormac scales yesterday. Coming in at €650 all in with the analogue clock.
    If anyone is pricing other makes will ye throw up the price here for the benefit of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 benchgrinder

Priced the Cormac scales yesterday. Coming in at €650 all in with the analogue clock.
    If anyone is pricing other makes will ye throw up the price here for the benefit of everyone.

Thats not bad if its including VAT , I priced O 'Neills in tipperary and they are coming in €660 excluding VAT. Salesman also told me that they have removed the 2k ceiling to apply for grant for weighing scales so I did that. The dept are allowing €843 for the price of the scales through the grant. I have applied for it and waiting to see if its granted (god knows how long that will be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Thats not bad if its including VAT , I priced O 'Neills in tipperary and they are coming in €660 excluding VAT. Salesman also told me that they have removed the 2k ceiling to apply for grant for weighing scales so I did that. The dept are allowing €843 for the price of the scales through the grant. I have applied for it and waiting to see if its granted (god knows how long that will be)

I heard that you can purchase once you have applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 benchgrinder

I heard that you can purchase once you have applied.

He said that to me actually but thought he was just trying for a quick sale. Personally I would prefer to have it in writing, will call the department to confirm though. Do you know if the grant is off the unit price ex VAT or the total amount??

He said that to me actually but thought he was just trying for a quick sale. Personally I would prefer to have it in writing, will call the department to confirm though. Do you know if the grant is off the unit price ex VAT or the total amount??

I am in for TAMs and advisor said u can't carry out tasks till you get approval.

Grant is on price ex. vat

kk.man wrote: »
    I am in for TAMs and advisor said u can't carry out tasks till you get approval.

That's incorrect as you can purchase mobile equipment after you submit your application.
    For the likes of a shed or slatted tank etc. you must wait for approval before starting any work.
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement

That's incorrect as you can purchase mobile equipment after you submit your application.
    For the likes of a shed or slatted tank etc. you must wait for approval before starting any work.
    Hope this helps

My application is for a meal bin and fencing. So can I go ahead without approval?

kk.man wrote: »
    My application is for a meal bin and fencing. So can I go ahead without approval?

Hard to know with those items as they are fixed.
    Best thing to do is shoot an email off to:
    tams@agriculture.gov.ie
    and then you will know for sure. In fairness they are very good to respond in a day or so usually.
    Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Tomjim

is a meal bin eligible for a grant - is this one of the JFC portable bins?

Tomjim wrote: »
    is a meal bin eligible for a grant - is this one of the JFC portable bins?

No, only the fixed ones. All livestock farmers now are eligible, up to now it was Dairy only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I got a scales for weighing pallets of products, weighs up to 800kg, from a factory I used to work in. Factory closed so I ended up taking the scales.

Just wondering how and where to set it up if I wanted to weigh lambs, should be able to weigh 5 or so lambs at a time if I can set it up right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

JJayoo wrote: »
    I got a scales for weighing pallets of products, weighs up to 800kg, from a factory I used to work in. Factory closed so I ended up taking the scales.

Just wondering how and where to set it up if I wanted to weigh lambs, should be able to weigh 5 or so lambs at a time if I can set it up right
    You could put hurdles around it with a run in and a run out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

That's what I was thinking, thou our place hasn't really got the space. Might try to sell it on and go back to me picking up the lamb and standing on the bathroom scales :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

JJayoo wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking, thou our place hasn't really got the space. Might try to sell it on and go back to me picking up the lamb and standing on the bathroom scales :p

Maybe make the space or sell & pick up a second hand sheep Scales
    You only get 1 back .... look after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I have a Ritchie sheep scales, one of the older orange painted ones.
    The grid/floor they stand on is galvanised.
    Works well for me anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement