Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knock small extensions and fill out space

Options
  • 02-04-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We're looking at buying a 1930's bungalow, and there's some work we think we would want done immediately which we want to get a ballpark estimate for. I hope someone can help me out!

Here are some pics of the main area we'd be looking at with the original exterior of the house (poorly) marked:

yVM9Bxp.jpg?1
    USEvecU.jpg?1

And what I'd like to do (boundary of extension in green, window in purple, soffit in yellow:
    zpAZRi9.jpg?1

There are two small extensions we'd like to knock and fill the whole area in one extension 2.8 m wide and 3 m deep, not sure would this be a kitchen area or dining room area yet, but it would be separated from the room behind by french doors and be totally open to the rest of the house on the right. Area is 105-110 sqft.

We'd like as much of the area facing the garden as possible to be window, to allow light into the room behind as this would be its only natural light source. If it's a dining room it's a floor to ceiling window (or as large as standard domestic sizes will allow) and if it's a kitchen it's only down to counter height. We'd like this to be distinct from the rest of the house so would like some metal plated fascia. Don't really care about the roof, as long as it can be easily incorporated into the original tiles.

I was thinking an insulated raft foundation, continue the wall they built by the boundary wall to minimise overhang (if the neighbours are ok with that) and dry line on the inside, and timber structure everywhere else. I'm guessing steel support would be needed to hold up the roof on the right to maximise openness into the room on the right.

Of course I'd get this drawn up properly and consult an engineer if we were going ahead with this, but I just want to have a rough estimate now, to know if it's basically possible in our budget. I was thinking 10-15k before finishing on the inside, maybe a little more if the roof needs extra support. I know it's a bit vague so please let me know if more details are needed!

I'd love to open out the area around the chimney in the final picture, maybe break into the attic to make a high vaulted ceiling and lots of windows to maximise light, but baby steps. This is the minimum we would want to do to make it livable. Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement