Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my PC capable of using 2k smoothly or should I reconsider my monitor choice?

Options
  • 02-04-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

So I’m being told by some people my set upis definitely capable of 2k gaming but others have said its not so here’s the specs:

Mobo: Asus b450 prime plus
    Gpu: Rx580
    Ram: Ballistix Sport LT (8gb x2)
    Cpu: Amd Ryzen 2600x
    Monitor: Dell 27” with Freesync, 155hz, 1ms response time, QHD 2560x1440

Give me your opinions people;
    With my current set up should I still get the 2k monitor and just upgrade the pc bit by bit until I can use it to its full potential? Or is my build so far away from running games on high/ultra settings with high fps that I should just get a 1080p monitor (if so, suggestions are much appreciated) for now and worry about 2k monitor once I get more high end parts?

Comments

People get too caught up in the Ultra/High settings thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ultra settings - no*
    High settings - depending on the game, probably fine

I'm guessign the monitor is
    Dell S2719DGF so with FreeSync 40-155Hz you shouldn't notice any tearing.

* Most of the benchmarks you'll see online are at Ultra settings, which is relatively stupid as it just tells you the GPU isn't capable of Ultra.
    This is why I'll miss HardOCP who always went for highest playable settings.

Also, most games will initialize with their own guess at highest playable settings, so just turn the game on & tweak if you're unsatisfied.
    Welcome to the PCMR :)

tl;dr: Go for the 1440p 155Hz monitor, it will last you longer than the rest of the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

Thanks for the help again Kiki!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No-one said it's not capable of 1440P, the point raised was that you have a 1440P 155hz monitor....the whole point of such a monitor is to play at a higher than normal framerate, up to 155 frames per second.

So say you were aiming for 90fps , the RX580 would have to be at low-medium in some games to hit this. If you only want to run at 60fps, then the RX580 will be good for mostly high settings, in most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LeeMaher92

No-one said it's not capable of 1440P, the point raised was that you have a 1440P 155hz monitor....the whole point of such a monitor is to play at a higher than normal framerate, up to 155 frames per second.

So say you were aiming for 90fps , the RX580 would have to be at low-medium in some games to hit this. If you only want to run at 60fps, then the RX580 will be good for mostly high settings, in most games.

Wasn’t trying to imply that I was given bad info on here man, just for a first time builder it’s difficult trying to process all the different information and opinions and spec jargon lol I really appreciate all of the help I get on here which is why this is my go to place if I want any advice or questions answered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You will have to drop down to 1080p in a lot of newer games with lowish settings to get anywhere near 100fps as well tbh.

A 580 is a 1080p card at best. There's plenty of games that will run fine at 2k though.

Might as well grab the monitor, you can get a a better card later.

Advertisement