Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helmet intercom systems

Options
  • 02-04-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi all,

Can I get recommendations on a helmet intercom system which will be primarily used for communication with the passenger and also listening to music/GPS and making/receiving phone calls.

I've looked at the Sena and Cardo websites and anything which seems to support voice control, e.g. Apples Siri or Andriod, and allowing music to both on the bike seems to be coming in at e450 or more... (Sena 20S or Sena 30K or Cardo Packtalk Bold).

Are these my only options or are there others that I haven't come across which would do the same for less €€€s?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

BrianHal wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can I get recommendations on a helmet intercom system which will be primarily used for communication with the passenger and also listening to music/GPS and making/receiving phone calls.

I've looked at the Sena and Cardo websites and anything which seems to support voice control, e.g. Apples Siri or Andriod, and allowing music to both on the bike seems to be coming in at e450 or more... (Sena 20S or Sena 30K or Cardo Packtalk Bold).

Are these my only options or are there others that I haven't come across which would do the same for less €€€s?

Thanks.

Scala Q3 twinset. Coming in at 250. Have used a pair for a few years on tours and sometimes twinned with my mate with a Q1.
    Highly recommend them.

Any questions, let me know.
    If you're near Cork I can demo them to help you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Chippy01

I've been running an Autocom since 2003.

It's an old version called an Active 7.
    When everything was plugged in it was bike powered, rider to pillion communication, bike to bike communication, music via an mp3 player, sat-nav instructions to the helmet speakers, and phone capabilities.

The newer versions have moved on since my old 2003 model, but mine still works 100%.
    16 years+ on a bike isn't bad for longevity now, is it?

http://www.autocom.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

I have a pair Cardo Scala Q1 for rider to pillion comms only that we bought seperatley for about €100 each.

I would not recommend or buy again due to constant dropouts and poor audio quality, especially when connected to each other. When solo riding the Q1 is OK but I would purchase a different brand next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Chippy01 wrote: »
    I've been running an Autocom since 2003.

It's an old version called an Active 7.
    When everything was plugged in it was bike powered, rider to pillion communication, bike to bike communication, music via an mp3 player, sat-nav instructions to the helmet speakers, and phone capabilities.

The newer versions have moved on since my old 2003 model, but mine still works 100%.
    16 years+ on a bike isn't bad for longevity now, is it?

http://www.autocom.co.uk/

I have two old Autocom systems: a Pro M1 and a.......(forget). Now I use a Cardo Q3.

Autocom: The pros/cons: the quality of voice on the Autocom is better. The only downside is it's cable connected to the helmet. What I did for a number of years is have the Autocom in a pouch on the back of my jacket, and ran it off the internal 9v battery, so it didn't matter about the cable that way - it came with you when you stepped off the bike with your helmet on, and you didn't need to unplug it. You do have the option of bike-powered lead. Pillions are lead-connected. You can plug in (by cable) GPS, radio etc. For that you'd be better having it bike-mounted when you've loads of cables involved, and just one to you. I paid a fortune for it...19 years ago...and it still works perfectly.

The Scala Cardo is great. The FM radio alone is worth it. Bluetooth to your phone/GPS and other Scala users is great. Only downside imho is battery life. If I'm out all day (marshalling, say), I won't get the day out of it. For this reason I have a 2nd unit (Q1) on me which I keep charged, and just clip out one, in the other in a couple of seconds. You can run a power lead from your bike to it - in which case it's like the Autocom, with a lead to your helmet.
    If you carry a pillion a lot, I think battery life would suffer even more in that role, but I'll defer to others on it - a cable solution is measurably better that way.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

By the way, the Q1 and Q3 are visually identical. The only difference is the Q1 can connect to 1 other unit, and the Q3 can connect to 3. The Q3 also has a longer range.
    The Q1 is designed for rider to pillion, and the Q3 for rider to rider(s) primarily. But they can pair with each other.
    I go on three week tours with my wife, and don't have an issue with battery life, but we would rarely be on the bike for an entire day. Also the unit goes on standby if there is no noise, and is VOX so transmits again as soon as one speaks.
    I would generally have it paired with my wife's, my phone (For calls and music) and my Garmin. I can specify the order of priority, e.g. Garmin overrides everything, wife's Q1 overrides music, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought a sena 20s about three years ago. Love it. Reason I went for that is you can plug in your own earphones to it. Or use be provided ones. I wanted to use in ear phones so as to block out engine noise preventing tinnitus. Also better quality audio.

I use mine with some Shure SE 215 ear phones and I've found the perfect setup.

Also can use Google Voice assistant to start radio or a podcast or Spotify on the go.

Best of all worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'd go with the Sena 3s-w... It is the most simple, doesnt have a big plastic unit sticking out of the side of your helmet, allows you to play music, make calls and use as an intercom. Not sure about google integration, but as a Bluetooth device I'm sure it'd work. Only €85

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Ive had a pair of Q1 for the last 4 or 5 years and only gave up this year but they were in daily use for the 4 or 5 years as my mrs is on the bike with me every day. Just upgraded them to a pair of the Freecom 2. Great upgrade from the Q1's and the duo pack was just €180-€185 delivered from FC Moto. Delivery took about a week

Advertisement