Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity clothes: when/where to buy?

Options
  • 02-04-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I'm only 9 weeks pregnant but can feel the jeans starting to get a little tighter. I don't think I've put on more than a pound or two but I certainly feel bigger in the tummy area.

When is normal to start looking at maternity clothes? Any good suggestions for shops in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre or in the City Centre?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

City centre is fairly limited. New look in jervis and H&M near the Stephens Green shopping center have cheap and cheerful selections. Jojo Maman Bebe on South Wicklow St have nice stuff too but are more expensive.

Online I found Gap and ASOS to be good. I got 2 pairs of jeans and a skirt which I wore with bigger size normal tops that I bought in penny’s. I mainly wore dresses which I mostly got on ASOS and in new look. New looks maternity leggings were great. I hated the tights, they just didn’t stay up on me, so the leggings were great.

When to buy is probably a Personal thing based on when you need them. I got big very quickly on both so while I was able to make do with some of my dresses for a while there was no way I could wear my jeans after 9/10 weeks.

Oh and I got maternity pjs in Dunnes. The bottoms were more comfy than wearing bigger normal pjs, especially as I got bigger. The tops double as breast feeding tops too if that’s what you’re planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

There's no normal time to start buying or wearing them, it's just whenever you feel the need really, everyone's bodies change at different rates/times. I found H&M very good for dresses, leggings and tops. I was lucky to buy a few good pairs of jeans in Penneys Liffey Valley but I'm not sure if they still do them or what other branches might. 'Over the Bump' jeans are much better than 'Under the Bump' in my opinion. Mothercare sometimes have really good deals at the end of a sale, I got some lovely dresses for 3euro. I also bought a good few tops and dresses from Boohoo online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I got a few bits in next recently. I also got some things online from Dorothy Perkins, very reasonably.
    New look carry maternity wear in their bigger stores

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Topshop was where I went for jeans.Also Seraphine online for one pair of good black jeans, over the bump, that I used for work and going out etc through the entire pregnancy.H&M for most of my tops, although I got some dresses on sale from Seraphine for work.I know plenty of people like penneys, but they never fit me great (I am short!!), nor did H&M.I always got into trousers first, proper maternity tops came much later!!

Also I' d echo one of the other posters....New Look maternity tights were awful, they never covered the bump fully and spent the day rolling down.H&M do black/navy mat tights that are super comfy, and Dunnes do flesh coloured ones (surprisingly!!).Mothercare for tracksuit bottoms, very necessary towards the end!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I've gotten most of my clothes from H&M and I'd never normally shop there. Most of the stores don't have a large range in store but I found them very consistent size wise so was able to order online. The jeans (without the button) are still really comfy at 33 weeks now and the tops are lovely.

In terms of when - go for when you want. I have friends who were in maternity wear by 12 weeks. I was in my normal jeans till I was about 22 weeks as they were stretchy and fine. I'm still in some of my normal work clothes that are dresses as the way they're cut just means they fit ok and with only 3 weeks left to go in the office, I'm making them work at this point.

I'd recommend M&S btw for maternity bras. I didn't get a proper "maternity" range bra but went for one of their supportive, non-underwired. Slightly regret not getting it earlier than I did. Got measured too as I had changed size with it. Have found them really comfy and a lot better than the Mothercare one I'd gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I've had some great maternity jeans from next, absolutely loved them. Dunnes do longer vest tops for under clothes which are great for about €4-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I second Gap, Asos and Next for maternitywear. Mothercare also do things like nursing/maternity vests and tracksuit pants.
    Watch our for Aldi maternity events, they do maternity yoga pants for quite cheap.
    If you're not quite in maternitysize just yet, here's some lifehacks: https://www.babycenter.com/101_10-ways-to-turn-regular-clothes-into-maternity-fashion_10406899.bc

I found expanding jeans with an elastic really hand as I found maternity jeans too big for the first few weeks that I was feeling bloated.

Lidl have maternity clothes in today.

Advertisement