Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 week ban for allegedly 'being uncivil'

Options
  • 02-04-2019 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Hi

I received a 1 week ban for what the mod called 'being uncivil'. I disagree with the mod's decision and wish to appeal it.

Thanks

Here's the PM notifying me of the ban:
    ===================================
    You have been banned from Politics for one week for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

ancapailldorcha

Moderator Note

Referring to other posters as bots.

Your post:Quote: TomOnBoard
    There's an interesting summary of the ongoing legal investigations that the Trump family is currently facing beyond Mueller investigation reporting and various Congressional Committee investigations just published in the Washington Post at: https://www.washington...m_term=.73e7d2d57279

Now before the bots and Qanon folks get their dander up just because the WaPo is mentioned, this article presents a factually correct summary of legal cases theyre involved in and limits its opinion to a brief synopsis of its view as to the level of legal peril involved.

Its useful as a reference in tbat context.

===============================

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the banning mod? That's the first step in the dispute thread before starting an appeal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the banning mod? That's the first step in the dispute thread before starting an appeal here.

Yes. I thought we had arrived at an 'accommodation' but it broke down and s/he referred me to here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, please be prepared to share the PM exchange with the CMod who deals with the appeal

I will alert them to this thread

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, please be prepared to share the PM exchange with the CMod who deals with the appeal

I will alert them to this thread

OK. Wildo. Thanks

This is the full PM exchange in the attached doc file

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    This is the full PM exchange in the attached doc file

Hi

Has any CMod taken this appeal on yet?

Thanks

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Hi

Has any CMod taken this appeal on yet?

Thanks

I'm disappointed that theres been no response.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'll take a look at this TomOnBoard. Bear with me.

I'll take a look at this TomOnBoard. Bear with me.

OK. Thanks.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Hi TomOnBoard,

I will admit on first reading of your post it did come across as you were referring to specific posters on the thread as "bots and Qanon folks" which I would stand over as uncivil.

However on reading your PM exchange with the moderator, I am happy that there is enough of a grey area between your intention when using the phrase and the interpretation of the moderators and other posters reading.

I am going to lift the ban, but I would ask you to be more mindful of the people who are contributing to and replying to threads, those people who are active on the thread. If you are going to call out certain sections you need to be clear that you are not referring to contributors to the thread or people who may have an opposing view to you. Name calling on thread is childish and against site rules and the forum charter. I acknowledge in this instance that wasn't your intention, but can easily see how it could be interpreted as such,

I am lifting this ban, and hope you don't find yourself back here under similar circumstances.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi TomOnBoard,

I will admit on first reading of your post it did come across as you were referring to specific posters on the thread as "bots and Qanon folks" which I would stand over as uncivil.

However on reading your PM exchange with the moderator, I am happy that there is enough of a grey area between your intention when using the phrase and the interpretation of the moderators and other posters reading.

I am going to lift the ban, but I would ask you to be more mindful of the people who are contributing to and replying to threads, those people who are active on the thread. If you are going to call out certain sections you need to be clear that you are not referring to contributors to the thread or people who may have an opposing view to you. Name calling on thread is childish and against site rules and the forum charter. I acknowledge in this instance that wasn't your intention, but can easily see how it could be interpreted as such,

I am lifting this ban, and hope you don't find yourself back here under similar circumstances.

Thanks

Thanks for the decision.

It does still leave me unclear on how to deal with references to patently ridiculous 'information' that is peddled by conspiracy theorists and propagandists (such as the Russian IRA and the US based Q-Anon). These folks serve only to undermine truth and fact based reporting. However, if posters are prevented from calling out such approaches on Boards because someone takes offense (even though the posts calling out the approach are not directed at any poster or reader in particular) , then the propagandists and outright liars win.

Frankly, I see that as an issue for Boards itself, as failure to deal with the poison of Social Media manipulation leaves forums such as this one, part of the problem rather than part of the solution.

Anyway, I think my point is clear. Thanks for your decision on this one. From my point of view, this is now resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement