Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl panniers

Options
  • 02-04-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Anyone got them?. Any good?
    Never had a set but could use some...
    Marty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Struggling to think of any bits and bobs bought in Lidl that didn't end up in the bin, sooner rather than later.

There's good panniers on bike24 by Norco that aren't that expensive.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Anyone got them?. Any good?
    Never had a set but could use some...
    Marty.

I bought Lidl panniers several years ago, as I wheeled my bike out the front door, using the panniers for the very first time, to cycle to the airport, one of the catches broke.
    I spend the next week cycling along the Danube cursing Lidl and its panniers.
    When I came home I threw the panniers in the bin and splashed out on Orbital panniers, which I use daily, and would strongly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I had a look at them in the shop a few days ago. My observation was that the design is clumsy and cheap. There is little protection from rain and the locking mechanism involves velcro straps. The pannier was about 8 euro cheaper than the Altura version I use on a day to day basis, I simply drop that pannier on the frame and it locks automatically and I have yet to have anything get wet inside it having used it all through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

Weirdly the label on them warned against putting unwrapped food in them - the waterproofing must be a really nastily toxic spray. Which also means that in addition to the cheap construction, they will stop being waterproof after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I didn't like the look of the way they locked onto the pannier frame. I have a small altura one that clips onto the frame and can be removed with ease. The Lidl ones look like they're a pain in the ass to get on and off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I bought some Altura panniers nearly a decade ago from Wiggle. Cost me the guts of €80 IIRC. After 5 years or so they started separating at the seams, but I kept going. Eventually about 18 months ago I decided it was time for new ones, and found a pair of cheap panniers, think they were €25 for the set.

Within six months they were in bits. Straps fraying or breaking altogether, velcro destroyed, material starting to wear badly and split, waterproofness starting to go.

Absolute waste of money. So I got out the duct tape, sealed up the seams in my decade-old Altura panniers and have been back using them ever since.

You get what you pay for with panniers. They take a surprising amount of abuse if you use them daily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have a few pairs of Altura and Agu panniers.

The Altura ones are their Dryline one and their topend Orkney ones. All have been flawless.

The Agu ones we're actually very good too. I just wasn't a huge fan of how they closed, though nothing ever got wet in them.

One of them got run over by either a bus or a car and had a tear and small split. Repair with sugru and as waterproof as ever. Still have them, and pretty sure I listed them here before if you're interested. They're a damn site better than the lidl ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,770 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I had a set of Lidl panniers that lasted 5 years with weekly shopping etc.

Probably 10kg shopping in each one per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I didn't like the look of the way they locked onto the pannier frame. I have a small altura one that clips onto the frame and can be removed with ease. The Lidl ones look like they're a pain in the ass to get on and off.

Yeah, I got a pair. And yes, they are a pain to get on. I haven't used the velcro so they slip off easily enough. The plastic clips look weak. I'd say that they're the first thing to go/break.

Advertisement