Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixed Signals - Attitudes to Speed in Donegal

• 03-04-2019 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I read this morning <SNIP> that people have complained about the presence of a speed van outside the church in Termon along the N56 during mass.

This really baffles me. It may have changed but that particular stretch of road has a speed limit of 60 km/h but drivers frequently disregard the limit and continue through at 100km/h which is the limit for most of the road. Surely during a busy period like mass is exactly when you would want the speed limit enforced for everyone's safety.
    Mod Snip

On the same news site I read this from Cllr Gerry Crawford:
    Mod Snip

I find this laughable.

Is there something I am missing?

I am from a small village on the North-West coast with a limit of 50km/h which is regularly exceeded at speeds of 70-80km/h despite there being a school and a very busy shop either side of a blind bend. I was delighted to see a speed van in my village because the place no longer seemed like a race track and people were actually obeying the limits.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

id prefer if churchgoers actually looked before pulling out, but yes speed vans should go anywhere not sure why near a church is a bad place for a van ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I read this morning <SNIP> that people have complained about the presence of a speed van outside the church in Termon along the N56 during mass.

This really baffles me. It may have changed but that particular stretch of road has a speed limit of 60 km/h but drivers frequently disregard the limit and continue through at 100km/h which is the limit for most of the road. Surely during a busy period like mass is exactly when you would want the speed limit enforced for everyone's safety.

On the same news site I read this from Cllr Gerry Crawford:

I find this laughable.

Is there something I am missing?

I am from a small village on the North-West coast with a limit of 50km/h which is regularly exceeded at speeds of 70-80km/h despite there being a school and a very busy shop either side of a blind bend. I was delighted to see a speed van in my village because the place no longer seemed like a race track and people were actually obeying the limits.
    Mod note: Please read the forum charter in relation to posting or linking to anything in that so called paper. We have standards here.

Also please be aware that we dont allow the content from any online news source to be copied directly to any forum here on Boards. A link to it is sufficient but in this case the link will have to be to another source.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

People will always find something to complain about and especially those that have so little going on in their lives that they have time each week to sit in a church and listen to a man in a frock talking about the great bearded magician that lives in the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

muffler wrote: »
    Mod note: Please read the forum charter in relation to posting or linking to anything in that so called paper. We have standards here.

Also please be aware that we dont allow the content from any online news source to be copied directly to any forum here on Boards. A link to it is sufficient but in this case the link will have to be to another source.

Cheers.

Fair enough

I dont see an issue of any speed van parked anywhere. Despite the negative views of them being around only as a money raising issue I think its great if their presence helps with reducing speed and ultimately the consequential injuries and even deaths.

The van in question has obviously been deployed beside that particular church on foot of complaints and/or crashes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

iirc, vans are only located at locations (or relatively close to them) where there has been fatalities in road accidents.

Edit: in fact, the Guards even tell you where they are

https://www.garda.ie/en/Roads-Policing/Safety-Cameras/355-new-safety-camera-locations.pdf

And if you need it on a map
    https://www.garda.ie/gosafe.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

some major failing with.the speed vans imo is the placing of them in specific places, the fact that they are marked and the people who think its helpful to warn others of the vans presence.

if you speed you should be caught.

speed limits should be adhered to near churches schools etc. some of the most lax and careless driving ive ever seen is at these establishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

I'm just curious but which 'so called paper' are you referring to??:confused:

(P.M. me if necessary)

Thanks.

Up Donegal wrote: »
    I'm just curious but which 'so called paper' are you referring to??:confused:

(P.M. me if necessary)

Thanks.
    Details are contained in the forum charter which is stickied on the main / front page :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Details are contained in the forum charter which is stickied on the main / front page :)

Got it!!!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement