Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corner house owners- security Qs

Options
  • 03-04-2019 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hello,
    we're considering buying a house on a corner. It ticks all our boxes but that's the one thing that is putting me off. I just don't feel secure when i think of all that side access running alongside the house. Part of the end of the garden backs on to the front driveway of the house behind. The wall is average height, it's an original wall and not over 2m.
    i would need to look at options like trellis, security railings, planting to increase the security.

I don't know if i'm being overly cautious because i've always lived with gardens on both sides and behind and felt nicely hemmed in.
    It is a nice area with a lot of footfall to local public transport and the boundary wall is very visible to neighbours
    Any advice from people with experience of corner houses in relation to break-ins/security would be appreciated, including any ideas on how to address the boundary.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The reality is nowhere near what you have overthought to yourself about it.

There is some additional security concerns but its certainly not like you're going to be under some sort of medieval castle siege of robbers queuing up to invade your home.

As you said, raise the walls/fence a bit if you feel a need to and stick some cameras up for piece of mind.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As you said, raise the walls/fence a bit if you feel a need to and stick some cameras up for piece of mind.
    It will take a few years to develop but a berberis, pyracantha or even blackthorn hedge could help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My parents live on a corner site and find in general ok , a few small issues down through the years .. litter being one. Not sure why but some people seem to think it’s ok to throw stuff over the wall while walking by. Now it could be the fact it’s a busy area between two green areas that lead to the local shops.
    Another issue is it seems to be the area the teens like to gather and sit on the wall, this issue was sorted by planting a nice thick thorny hedge and some additional lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

A good thick thorny hedge will solve most of your concerns security, teenagers gathering, privacy, littering to a certain extent.
    Will take a couple of years to establish but wouldn't be a major concern personally if it ticks all your other boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

Thank you all. My Husband laughed at the over thinking part of Wabbit Ears’ post, that is what I do to ridiculous levels!

I’m reassured that a bit of thought into things like height, thorny hedges, alarm and maybe cctv should offset my concerns.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Leax wrote: »
    Thank you all. My Husband laughed at the over thinking part of Wabbit Ears’ post, that is what I do to ridiculous levels!

I’m reassured that a bit of thought into things like height, thorny hedges, alarm and maybe cctv should offset my concerns.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply

Another bit of advice have a drive around the estate at different times of the evening/night just to get a feel what’s it like at different times.
    I had estate agent before who would only show us a house at a certain time of day.. early mornings. Turned out one of the houses next door had bad anti social behavior and it would start early evenings and carry on all night.
    Luckily we found out before we signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I prefer corner houses and live in one.

It means you only have neighbours on one side, would hate to be hemmed in on both sides.

We have never had trouble and are a couple of decades in this house.

It doesn't matter where on the row your house is, it matters where in the county your estate is.

If your house is in a good area, with a small number of houses in the estate you're less likely to have issue with this kinda thing. If it's a rough area then probably more likely.

I live in a "rough area" and have had very little trouble over the years. The people that have trouble and hassle with teens are the ones that invite it upon themselves.

If you're really concerned, a railing, although a fair few euro, is the go-to permanent problem solver for kids or teens hanging around (in my area at least). Other options in my area are hedging and wall cappings that are angled (can't be sat or walked on).

A few houses have these in my estate on taller walls (bird spikes).

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/garden-tools/5m-garden-anti-bird%2Fwall-security-spikes/083856.html

They stop people from climbing on a wall, and are cheap and cheerful (so easy to replace if they're broken etc.).

In reality though, unless you're in both a dreadful area, and also get pally with the scum, you're not likely to have many issues. A lot of council estates do have their walls raised though. Not all of this is to combat anti-social issues, a lot of it is down to privacy because of the general low height of the original walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Leax

Thanks for all that. Will have a look at the link. I feel I have a bit of a plan now for increasing security.

Advertisement