Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 G01 BMW X3 m sport

• 03-04-2019 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

Looking at potentially buying one in summer - anyone have one, thoughts?

Would only buy an m sport, through BMW used car network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looking at potentially buying one in summer - anyone have one, thoughts?

Would only buy an m sport, through BMW used car network.

If you have BMW-First subscription membership for at least 3 months then take a look at the Fleet Experience offer they have. You can rent the X3 M40i for a weekend for €200. Granted the M40i version is a different beast to what you will be looking at buying but it would still be a nice bus to get an extended test drive in one and see if the rest of the car's package works for you. The alternative would be to see if you can persuade a dealer to give you a regular X3 for an extended test drive for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

What are you coming from?

Friend i know is after buying one ( new) that came from a an e class is is not happy at all. he liked the idea of an SUV but a bit dissapointed.

Nothing wrong with the bmw and looks great but a different drive i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I was given one as a loaner while my own was serviced a couple of months ago. A brand new x line 2.0d.
    It was pretty unremarkable. Very quiet on a cruise though for a big bus. Loads of space and good visibility. Preferred my own 5 series to be honest.
    I’m sure if a premium suv is what you’re after it’s a sound choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

We had one a few years ago in the family. Nothing to get too excited about in all honesty and surprisingly tight inside. I'd stretch the budget for a slightly older X5.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

Can't help but think aside from the badge snob factor a Mazda CX-5 is a much, much better buy. It's a better looking car in my view, better to drive, and probably much better built.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

MTBD wrote: »
    Can't help but think aside from the badge snob factor a Mazda CX-5 is a much, much better buy. It's a better looking car in my view, better to drive, and probably much better built.

Noisy, unrefined, very cheap interior, even the leather feels cheap. Good looking yoke though.

We had one a few years ago in the family. Nothing to get too excited about in all honesty and surprisingly tight inside. I'd stretch the budget for a slightly older X5.

X3 was replaced in 2018 so maybe you’re remembering the old model?
    The G01 is a huge improvement, much more refined, better quality and lot more interior space. However I would agree that a slightly older X5 would be my preference too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

carsfan2 wrote: »
    X3 was replaced in 2018 so maybe you’re remembering the old model?
    The G01 is a huge improvement, much more refined, better quality and lot more interior space. However I would agree that a slightly older X5 would be my preference too.

That thought crossed my mind alright. I'm not familiar with the new one just yet. I am acquainted with the Evoque however and it is awful so don't even consider one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

blingrhino wrote: »
    What are you coming from?

Friend i know is after buying one ( new) that came from a an e class is is not happy at all. he liked the idea of an SUV but a bit dissapointed.

Nothing wrong with the bmw and looks great but a different drive i think.

I've an f10 m sport 520d but for my wife has 07 golf so big step up.

I love my 5 series - sat in 2nd generation x3 and thought it was sh!te as nowhere near as good interior as f10.

But 3rd generation seems a massive leap forward.

Id say you're talking about the 2nd generation pre 181 reg and I agree I test drove one and thought it was crap, 2 years ago.

I'm asking about 3rd generation as seems massive leap forward in terms of styling etc. and interior looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd suggest stepping back a couple of years and going for an X5. The X3 is not at the races in terms of feel in comparison.
    If you have the budget I'd plump for the X5 m50d.

MTBD wrote: »

Personally I wouldnt' touch a non-VAG car, maybe it's snobbish of me but I hate the interiors of anything else - mazda, kia, Hyundai, ford etc. they just feel plastic and cheap when compared to a well spec'ed BMW.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd suggest stepping back a couple of years and going for an X5. The X3 is not at the races in terms of feel in comparison.
    If you have the budget I'd plump for the X5 m50d.

Yeah it's just that I don't want to spend more than €40k and could get a 181 for that later this year, don't want more than 2 years old car as I've OCD and like the BMW premium selection way of buying.

I'd have to get a 4 year old x5 probably and by then the sat nav screen is scratched, leather in poor condition etc.

Of course anyone buying an x3 only does so as they can't afford the x5 - myself included :D

Personally I wouldnt' touch a non-VAG car, maybe it's snobbish of me but I hate the interiors of anything else - mazda, kia, Hyundai, ford etc. they just feel plastic and cheap when compared to a well spec'ed BMW.

You’re driving a 5 series BMW you said which is not a VAG car though.

For 40k I think you will be hard pushed to find the new model x3 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

VAG and BMW are premium compared to the econo boxes, that was his point.

When my 14 year old bmw has a more premium feel compared to my 1 year old Ioniq, it kindof sums it up

VAG I mean Bmw/audi/Porsche ie "german premium" brands.

40k will buy me a 181 new model x3 from the UK later this year as will be almost 2 years old then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Was in one recently, very impressive. Very nicely finished inside and engine refinement was better than my previous F10.

Advertisement