Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Support Required! Macbook Pro circa 2010/2011

• 03-04-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Im wondering can anyone help me

I am attempting to repair a friends macbook pro - i am extremely familiar with Laptops/Desktops but this is my first go on the Mac - it seemed a pretty straight forward situation - i took the hard drive out and tested it in my desktop - Hard Disk Sentinel reported an ungodly amount of bad sectors, and stated that drive would fail soon - recommended immediate replacement

Purchased a WesternDig 500GB drive - things were complicated by the fact that my friend lost her recovery disks - but after checking about online i realized that 'internet recovery' was possible - i executed this and sure enough the macbook downloaded the appropriate software - however disk utility refuses to format/partition/<do anything> with the new drive

- When formatting the macbook simply sits there saying that it is formatting - for 16 hours at one point

-Checked the new drive - as suspected the drive is in working order and HD SENTINAL reports as perfect

-Windows showed a corrupted File table which i deleted, leaving un partitioned space

-Tried Internet recovery again - this time reports 'Unable to unmount the disk'

I then decided to attempt to put win 7 on using my own media, even to prove that the macbook is working

-Windows installer will not install on the drive, despite it being perfect - states the drive is 'not designed to be booted from

QUestions - Am i missing something RE internet recovery? replacing a hard drive with this option seemed ideal

Is there a reason why it is not possible to install windows 7, from dry on a macbook pro? am i doing something wrong?

Mac Tech support were decidedly unhelpful just stating its old, dump it, buy a new one - my friend would be delighted to have it up and running with ANY OPERATING system at this stage as it saves her having to purchase new hard ware

Thanks in advance - the new drive is DEFINTELY not faulty - and the Macbooks memory/ram is also fine

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

Advertisement