Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allow Files To Be Indexed

Options
  • 03-04-2019 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

What have I done now?! :( Running 7 and all's always been well. I'd just point out that is a pre used machine. No idea how it might have been set up.

Been shifting a Lot of stuff, lately. DLing films. Editing them in WLMM. Shoving them around between places.

Never 'fast'. Hours film may take twenty minutes to process.

Thinking all this may have left junk, I did a Disc Clean. Then, a slip of the mouse did something to the Files Index option box. I don't touch stuff like that.

I believe it highlighted, or something. So, I tried to tell it Not to index (Google says best not to, on 7) Then, a box appeared and spent a couple of hours or more, flicking through endless file names.

Now, WLMM 'processes' a film at 2% a minute! :eek: I'll be dead of old age, long before I finish, at this rate!

Could having my files indexed have caused this? Does it sound like that's what happened? How may I fix it, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chonix

Are you using any antivirus? Try disabling the antivirus during the render, to see if that speeds up the process.
    If so, you'll either need to add the process (.exe), input/output folders to an exclusion list or change the AV.

If not, can you right click the drive where you process the media and click properties? Make sure "Compress this drive to save space" box is not ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Thanks for the input, Chonix.

Turns out, I did my last few films, last night? They ripped through, good as gold, again! :confused:

Just another glitch in the matrix then.

And, no, Compress isn't ticked. Nor is Index. But, something ~ extremely long running, and dealing with a shed ton of files ~ happened the other night.

I must learn to stay out of these places I don't understand :o

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chonix

Could be either anything running in the background: Windows update maybe? Or maybe a process that was re-indexing the disk or you were simply defragging the disk without noticing. That can take some time and probably the disk usage was pretty high at the time you were processing the film.

Next time it happens, follow this guide to use Resouce monitor and find where the resource hogging is:
    https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/learn-how-to-use-the-windows-7-resource-monitor-for-effective-troubleshooting/
    Short story long: Launch Resource monitor from Start menu, then expand the Disk Tab, then arrange by number of reads or writes to disk. I recommend you go through that link and read a bit of it. Might come in handy :)

Have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

File indexing is a feature of the ntfs file system used in Windows. It creates something called an MFT (master file table) which means Windows search doesn't need to trawl the whole drive when you search for a file.

Indexing a never before indexed drive would be a long activity with high disk usage but once its on new files get added ad hoc.

Basically your search function will now be much much faster with no ongoing issue

Short term pain long term gain as the saying goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Brilliant. That'll have been exactly what happened then. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement