Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British Para regiment under investigation for shooting at posters of Jeremy Corbyn

• 03-04-2019 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1113376554464284672
    Unfortunately not all surprising given the print media in UK has endlessly attacked Corbyn non stop for the past 2 years for being a big IRA sympathiser.

Most people on social media seem to condemn it although theres a sizeable minority who support this. Usually the EDL/Tommy Robinson/Brexiteer crowd who have a real hatred for Corbyn convinced he's got links to the IRA in some way.

Bit worrying though that elements of the British Army are shooting up posters of who could be their next prime minister.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I know quite a few guys who have been in the British Army or are still in and can confirm they are not big fans of Corbyn. The word traitor has been used. They're not all Brexiters and the majority think Tommy Robinson is a tool. Corbyn suggesting that the UK gets rid of its nuclear weapons seems to be a big issue for them. There's a perception that Britain is still one of the great powers and doing away with the nukes would threaten that status. Not big fans of Scottish independence either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Para's? Who would believe it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Not one bit surprised. I work with an ex-British forces lad and he'll tell you how great Thatcher was all day if you let him.
    It's that false patriotism soldiers are sold by the very people sending them off to die to increase corporate or personal wealth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Not one bit surprised. I work with an ex-British forces lad and he'll tell you how great Thatcher was all day if you let him.
    It's that false patriotism soldiers are sold by the very people sending them off to die to increase corporate or personal wealth.

I know a lot of BA soldiers (serving and ex) and i don't think i have ever heard a single one say a nice word about Thatcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Oh no, not a poster.

If they'd have shot Jeremy Corbyn then they'd have something to moan about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I know a lot of BA soldiers (serving and ex) and i don't think i have ever heard a single one say a nice word about Thatcher.

It's almost as if theres more than 1 of them.

Or maybe all 150,000 love Maggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Very surprising. Paras have always seemed like such a nice well mannered educated bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Makes a change from shooting unarmed civilians in the back I suppose.

Baby steps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It's basically a non-story really, the optics of it are very sinister and bad but the reality is that it's a bunch of eejits arsing around on the firing range with a picture of a fella they don't like. Some people are suggesting this is an indication that Corbyn will face some sort of a military coup or something but I think that's hyperbole to say the least.

There has always been an extremely reactionary mindset running through the Brit Army (and the Paras especially) of hard-headed militarism and a sense of British superiority. The fact Corbyn is a jam-making peacenik portrayed as an IRA supporter who doesn't back "our boys" fully is enough to send a lot of them around the twist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

British Army is supposed to be apolitical, as commanding officer of these Muppets has stated, so it's clearly a big deal shooting at a picture of the leader of the opposition.

Fcuk all range safety there which will have the bigwigs twitching almost as much.

/safety salamander.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yeh, they are dumb cannon fodder. The state doesn’t even really look after them after they come back from wars either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

British Army is supposed to be apolitical, as commanding officer of these Muppets has stated, so it's clearly a big deal shooting at a picture of the leader of the opposition.

Fcuk all range safety there which will have the bigwigs twitching almost as much.

/safety salamander.
    Thought they were firing paintballs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Excellent shooting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

/safety salamander.

Not exactly the best PR when MPs are being threatened and remember Jo Cox?

A lot of talk about MPs personal safety and then your own armed forces are putting this stuff out..

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Thought they were firing paintballs?

Protocols for military range is the same, or should be the same, no matter what rounds are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Peter - Cheshire Regiment:

I know people who go into discos and beat up spastics; these people are Paras.

Brits Speak Out.
    John Lindsay (1998)

Source.

Not exactly the best PR when MPs are being threatened and remember Jo Cox?

A lot of talk about MPs personal safety and then your own armed forces are putting this stuff out..

Another right wing plot was uncovered the other day about a plot to kill a female Labour MP.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/03/far-right-terror-plot-police-jack-renshaw-rosie-cooper-mp

Yeah, am I the only one who remembers their glorious "celebration" photographs - in, I think, Lisburn barracks - of their murder of the unarmed Karen Reilly (18) & Martin Peake (17) in the 1990s? More "fun" killing unarmed Irish teenagers. True British colonial heroes (their murderer, Lee Clegg, got promoted of course)

Thanks to Brexit and massively changing demographics, we will now finally see Ireland free from the Butcher's Apron in our lifetime.

Yeah, am I the only one who remembers their glorious "celebration" photographs - in, I think, Lisburn barracks - of their murder of the unarmed Karen Reilly (18) & Martin Peake (17) in the 1990s? More "fun" killing unarmed Irish teenagers. True British colonial heroes (their murderer, Lee Clegg, got promoted of course)

Thanks to Brexit and massively changing demographics, we will now finally see Ireland free from the Butcher's Apron in our lifetime.

They'd have been disbanded in any normal society. The BA can do no wrong...unless you fight for 40 odd years to get them to admit that they did.

Different people have different opinions? I disagree.

He cites Thatcher giving them a much needed pay raise.
    I'll tell him you said he's wrong.

• Advertisement

if it was a poster of Theresa May half the posters on here would be queuing up to congratulate them or shout about it being only a joke, but because its Corbyn it is somehow sinister.

PR issues the army need to deal with, which it looks like they are, but seriously, who cares?

Aegir wrote: »
    if it was a poster of Theresa May half the posters on here would be queuing up to congratulate them or shout about it being only a joke, but because its Corbyn it is somehow sinister.

PR issues the army need to deal with, which it looks like they are, but seriously, who cares?

Well a Labour MP was murdered another Labour MP targeted, so that's why it's serious.

You do obviously.
    Most of us aren't paras, I assume. To your point if it was some scallywag shooting a picture of Mary Lou, what of it, but if it were Irish soldiers....be tumble weeds I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Why wouldn't the British armed forces adore Thatcher.Think of all the far flung she has sent them to,to gain "experience" and retire to cushy numbers "protecting" our betters all over the world.Mr corbyn won't be any different when he gets power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Many remember what thatcher did to the coal industry, a lot of normal soldiers come from the areas that were devastated by the pit closures and watched their families torn apart by her actions. Not many here in the North west at least would be big Thatcher fans at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Many remember what thatcher did to the coal industry, a lot of normal soldiers come from the areas that were devastated by the pit closures and watched their families torn apart by her actions. Not many here in the North west at least would be big Thatcher fans at all.

She did have a particular grá for the British army though ... Her boys

I remember that soldier that got hideous burn injuries (can't think of his name) being asked to explain why so many soldiers adored her when she died.
    Can't remember his answer, mind you, but there was certainly a phenomenon of excessive worship, if that is the correct word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

These are the guys who parachuted their troops into the middle of the II Panzer Corp at Arnhem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Thing is the military is a little micocosm of society. So you'll be bound to find Thatcher supporters, Thatcher haters, labour supporters, conservatives, people who have no interest in politics, those that dislike the cops etc. etc.

• Advertisement

These are the guys who parachuted their troops into the middle of the II Panzer Corp at Arnhem.

No, they're long retired/passed away.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Thing is the military is a little micocosm of society. So you'll be bound to find Thatcher supporters, Thatcher haters, labour supporters, conservatives, people who have no interest in politics, those that dislike the cops etc. etc.

Yeah, that's a pretty good assessment I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's basically a non-story really, the optics of it are very sinister and bad but the reality is that it's a bunch of eejits arsing around on the firing range with a picture of a fella they don't like. Some people are suggesting this is an indication that Corbyn will face some sort of a military coup or something but I think that's hyperbole to say the least.

There has always been an extremely reactionary mindset running through the Brit Army (and the Paras especially) of hard-headed militarism and a sense of British superiority. The fact Corbyn is a jam-making peacenik portrayed as an IRA supporter who doesn't back "our boys" fully is enough to send a lot of them around the twist.

But he does back them. He's one of the biggest advocates of supporting British veterans who have become homeless. The Tory party, for all their patriotism have cut the army budget to shreds and support for soldiers affected by PTSD, alcoholism and homelessness. Ironically when these boys lose their jobs it may be Corbyn advocating that they get adequate support. Also I can imagine there will be a lot of soldiers and veterans very angry at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

They'd have been disbanded in any normal society. The BA can do no wrong...unless you fight for 40 odd years to get them to admit that they did.

The only military to have committed atrocities against citizens of a colony in the 20th century, or their own citizens for that matter, that has not been disbanded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

There was a statement released by the paras earlier. Apparently the Corbyn poster shot first and they only returned fire in self defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

maybe the paras in the vid are jews?

• Advertisement

I'm sure. Not sure what your point is though. Some army didn't like Thatcher? Fair enough. I still know one who does.
    There was a report about paras shooting a photo of Jeremy Corbyn too mind. Doubt they were Arthur Scargill's lads.
    I remember that soldier that got hideous burn injuries (can't think of his name) being asked to explain why so many soldiers adored her when she died.
    Can't remember his answer, mind you, but there was certainly a phenomenon of excessive worship, if that is the correct word.

West. I think during the Malvinas (Falklands) re-occupation.
    maybe the paras in the vid are jews?

No need to be antisemetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

I'm sure. Not sure what your point is though. Some army didn't like Thatcher? Fair enough. I still know one who does.
    There was a report about paras shooting a photo of Jeremy Corbyn too mind. Doubt they were Arthur Scargill's lads.

West. I think during the Malvinas (Falklands) re-occupation.

Simon West from the Welsh Guards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Bit odd to join an army and at the same time mock shoot at someone who potentially gives you a job.

Well a Labour MP was murdered another Labour MP targeted, so that's why it's serious.

by some absolute lunatic neo nazi. Are you suggesting everyone who hates Corbyn is a neo nazi?

Is firing wax pellets at a picture of a politician worse than calling for someone to commit mass murder like the hard man below?
    schizo1014 wrote: »
    Another Warrenpoint would do these lads the world of good.

Is firing wax pellets at a picture of a politician worse than calling for someone to commit mass murder like the hard man below?

Of course it is. these are supposed to be professional servants of the state. that they did this and furthermore thought it was appropriate to put in the public domain points to a serious breach of their contract with the state. Of course, this particular state will not elevate it to this, but then they don't have a great track record in disciplining this regiment.

To compound their flagrant political bias with the utter stupidity of firing live rounds would not have surprised me tbh.

• Advertisement

Of course it is.

now there's a surprise.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If true when corbyn gets in he should disband the regiment to send a warning to the rest of the army.

Court martial the lot of them.

Then summarily dismiss the very top brass and get loyal ppl in there.

I’d say same if it was a photo of lib dem or Tory leader.

now there's a surprise.:rolleyes:

And here you are, desperately trying to dilute/deflect again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Simon Weston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

The British taxpayer should have been allowed to continue heavily subsidising the coal industry to keep the miners happy. And introduce grants for Cornish Morris dancers as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    But he does back them. He's one of the biggest advocates of supporting British veterans who have become homeless. The Tory party, for all their patriotism have cut the army budget to shreds and support for soldiers affected by PTSD, alcoholism and homelessness. Ironically when these boys lose their jobs it may be Corbyn advocating that they get adequate support. Also I can imagine there will be a lot of soldiers and veterans very angry at this.

That Tory patriotism can often be little more than a dishonest recruitment tool. Like many countries with a tradition of militarism the British have a very weird double-think with their soldiers - They praise and celebrate them to high heaven in public but privately much of the population regard them as drunken thugs, especially those outside the traditional recruiting pool of lumpenproleteriat for the ranks and public schoolboys for the officers .

This is nothing new either. The Duke of Wellington called his own men

"The scum of the earth, recruited for drink".

Kipling's Tommy summed this hypocrisy up perfectly, contrasting them being treated like beggars until it's their time to face death

"But it's "thin red line of 'Eroes" when the drums begin to roll".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

tell that to the uk labour party

for clarity, here is what he said. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9997024/Margaret-Thatcher-funeral-Simon-Weston-calls-for-dignified-response.html

I guess in Francie's world, anything that doesn't call for her sorpse to be exhumed and burnt at the stake is hero worship :rolleyes:

by some absolute lunatic neo nazi. Are you suggesting everyone who hates Corbyn is a neo nazi?

Im suggesting that normalising aggression against Labour MPs is dangerous, and that demonisation of Corbyn by media adds to the fervour of the ultra right wing. "It was just an egg slapped into a pensioners head" "it was only soldiers with weapons capable of being lethal shooting at a picture of the pensioner"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

The mask keeps slipping alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement