Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House owned by a limited company

Options
  • 03-04-2019 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Currently looking at a property for sale by private treaty. The house has been rented out for a number of years but the EA told me it was owned by the same individual for decades.

There was a sale registered on the property price register 48 months ago. The EA told me this was an arrangement within the family. Upon checking the land registry I see the property was transferred to a PLC 48 months ago. A solocheck suggests it is the same owner but now under a property management company.

Is this arrangement common? Is it something as a buyer I should be concerned about? Could this make the sale anymore difficult?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If it is the freehold being sold then I can't see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Reversal

Thanks. Out of interest, why would one set up a business and transfer their house to it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Reversal wrote: »
    Thanks. Out of interest, why would one set up a business and transfer their house to it?

Inevitably its a tax arrangement- though it could make giving shares to dependents a lot more straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Inevitably its a tax arrangement- though it could make giving shares to dependents a lot more straight forward.

also potentially an arrangement preceeding a divorce to weather the asset from a spouse.

Advertisement