Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Afternoon Tea in Dublin

Options
  • 03-04-2019 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I spoilt my mammy and my mother-in-law last weekend for mother's day and in all the fervour, I forgot to get my missus something for mother's day from our kids (bad form!)

So, to make amends, I wanna treat her to a bit of snazzy afternoon tea in town, somewhere central enough ideally, any ideas please?!

Thanks in advance if you can help dig me out of a hole! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

luketitz wrote: »
    I spoilt my mammy and my mother-in-law last weekend for mother's day and in all the fervour, I forgot to get my missus something for mother's day from our kids (bad form!)

So, to make amends, I wanna treat her to a bit of snazzy afternoon tea in town, somewhere central enough ideally, any ideas please?!

Thanks in advance if you can help dig me out of a hole! :)
    Shelbourne is great, had a number of afternoon tea with my wife and shelbourne has stood out from the others we've had.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Shelbourne is great, had a number of afternoon tea with my wife and shelbourne has stood out from the others we've had.

I'll second this, had a lovely afternoon there recently. A bit pricey but it is the Shelbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭sooty1

Shelbourne or Westin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

The merrion is pretty good too. As is the Westin.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Lovely stuff, thanks folks, seems pretty unanimous, I'll check it out!

We were in the Shelbourne for some oysters and champagne event a few years ago and she wound up with a dicky tummy for days so I'm not sure it'll evoke the fondest of memories haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We had a fairly disastrous, Fawlty-Towers-esque experience with afternoon tea at the Shelbourne (quite a few years ago, though, about a year after it had first opened after the mega renovation) - I've only been there on a handful of occasions, but can honestly say I've never had a good, 5* experience there. They've always managed to cock it up somehow.

We decamped to the Merrion the following year, and oh my goodness they know how to do it properly! (and charge for it, but after the Shelbourne it was worth it, and actually I think it was cheaper than the Shelbourne.....). We've been back a few times in the intervening years and it never disappoints.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    We had a fairly disastrous, Fawlty-Towers-esque experience with afternoon tea at the Shelbourne (quite a few years ago, though, about a year after it had first opened after the mega renovation) - I've only been there on a handful of occasions, but can honestly say I've never had a good, 5* experience there. They've always managed to cock it up somehow.

We decamped to the Merrion the following year, and oh my goodness they know how to do it properly! (and charge for it, but after the Shelbourne it was worth it, and actually I think it was cheaper than the Shelbourne.....). We've been back a few times in the intervening years and it never disappoints.

Sounds pretty grim! What kinda price differentials are we talkin' can you recall please?!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sounds pretty grim! What kinda price differentials are we talkin' can you recall please?!
    I can't remember the actual prices, but from memory the Merrion would have been maybe 1/3 less? Still not cheap, mind you! I'm sure their respective websites will have prices listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MollyFranx

Hi guys, I just saw this at thought I'd jump in! I took my mum to the Davenport hotel near Merrion Square last week, and have to say I was really impressed! The usual places like the Shelbourne and the Westin are a bit overpriced and overrated in my experience after a few hen party type things I've been to. I wanted somewhere different so thought we'd try the Davenport. The food was really good and their decor is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Went to the Westbury this year. Superb! Could ask for more of any of the items if we wanted and it was no issue. Staff were lovely and food/teas delish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭kg703

I've been for many an afternoon tea and have yet to find one that beat Clontarf Castle.

Its worth going for the jam alone.

Near enough to the city centre!

Thanks folks, after weighing up all the city centre suggestions (and prices!), I've gone with the Davenport!

for the record, it comes in at €35pp and seemingly covers all the same items (on paper anyway) as both the Merrion (€54pp) and the Shelbourne (€52pp), will try and tie it in with some gallery-hopping on the day too so seems our best bet, thanks for the suggestions - and I'll let ya know if there's any horror stories! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Thanks folks, after weighing up all the city centre suggestions (and prices!), I've gone with the Davenport!

for the record, it comes in at €35pp and seemingly covers all the same items (on paper anyway) as both the Merrion (€54pp) and the Shelbourne (€52pp), will try and tie it in with some gallery-hopping on the day too so seems our best bet, thanks for the suggestions - and I'll let ya know if there's any horror stories! :)

Are those prices not SHOCKING!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Merrion is lovely but not cheap.

The Morrison is a bit more reasonable and not bad either.
    The gentlemans afternoon tea is fun as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

The Westbury is really nice and reasonably priced too from what I remember. Depends on your tastes, but I found shelbourne all a bit stiff; getting by and justifying the cost pretty on the fact it's "The Shelbourne".
    Did want great, unless your awe struck by your surroundings of find it hard to rate it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Part of the attraction to the Westbury especially is the location and the element of people watching.
    Can be often more talked about afterwards.

imme wrote: »

Are those prices not SHOCKING!

They are a bit yeah! I figure 70 blips for a bita tea and a few scones is as far as I could stretch to get back in the good books, anytjing over a ton is a bit bonkers alright.. it's the 'experience' of it all too though, isn't it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I did afternoon tea in the Ivy last Monday. Apart with a little mix up on arrival, and waiting 30 minutes for the food to come out, the food was delicious and they were great at topping up the tea pots. We couldn't finish the food as there was plenty. It was also quite full when we got in there (3pm) and it was great for people watching. It's a lovely room too. I've heard not great things about their lunch/dinner fare but afternoon tea really was delicious. It's also something like €24 a head, so much more reasonable than the Merrion/Shelbourne/Westbury.

Advertisement