Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

It is a safe as giving me 15K worth of bitcoin and hoping I dont dissapear. Bitcoin exchanges come and go all time, theres a bit of stability these days but think about it, where is Binance even incorporated? who are the shareholders you can go after if stuff goes south? there aint a deposit guarantee from government like current account would have.

If you dont control your private keys you dont control your bitcoin, its an expensive lesson I learned a long time ago.

Buy a trezor its only like 60 quid or so (dont pay in bitcoin like i done when they came out tho lol :P )

Pretty tough to find a secure wallet that supports:
    BTC
    ADA
    DOT
    LINK
    BNB
    1INCH

Trezor One just seems to do BTC and LINK although with LINK it says the Wallet is Trezor Suite rather than Tezor Wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

I see Aston Martin Cognizant F1 Team have Crypto.com as a sponsor this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I see Aston Martin Cognizant F1 Team have Crypto.com as a sponsor this year.

You have to give it to Crypto.com, they are the marketing kings of crypto (I am not sure whether it is good or bad :-)).

If they could work with the F1 team to issue NFTs for fans on the newly launched CRO blockchain, that would be pretty neat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

connie147 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. these are the coins i have purchased so far, (spent €2000 total)

CHZ
    BNB
    IOTA
    TRX
    VET
    THETA
    EWT
    ADA
    ROSE
    DOGE
    LINK
    MATIC
    TFUEL

I intend adding BTC to this.

Hopefully one of ye can recommend what is the best wallet to use.

Thanks, Connie.

The instructions for putting ROSE on a wallet and earning interest are post 80 here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116360548

If your crypto is on ETH it is currently expensive to send from one address to another, not worth it IMO with the amount you have, you will loose to much in the transfer, I would leave it on the exchange
    CHZ-ETH
    EWT-ETH
    LINK--ETH
    MATIC-ETH
    When the price drops for a transfer www.myetherwallet.com is free and works with ETH based crypto.
    There is no point in taking them off an exchange if you are planning to trade them, only move them off if you are going to hold for some time.

I see you made the rookie mistake of not looking at the tokens circulating and Max supply, don't worry we have all done it, its probably the number one mistake of new traders.
    TRON
    Circulating Supply
    71,660,220,128 / 100,850,743,812
    Current price $0.049
    If the price 3x to 15c it would be worth $10B currently and $15B with all tokens circulating, for comparison www.viacomcbs.com is worth $16B
    Can you see TRX doing a 20x to $1 and being a $100b company? if you dont and your TRX is in profit sell and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I often weigh up whether I should move my holding to a wallet or leave it on an exchange. I think I would feel a lot worse if I c*cked up moving it to a wallet than if I had it stolen from my exchange account. So that's why I'm still entirely on exchanges.

Reading this incredibly interesting and terrifying article also doesn't help:

https://www.wired.com/story/i-forgot-my-pin-an-epic-tale-of-losing-dollar30000-in-bitcoin/

*The title of the article should now be called "An epic tale of losing $376,000 in bitcoin" at todays prices

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I often weigh up whether I should move my holding to a wallet or leave it on an exchange. I think I would feel a lot worse if I c*cked up moving it to a wallet than if I had it stolen from my exchange account. So that's why I'm still entirely on exchanges.

Reading this incredibly interesting and terrifying article also doesn't help:

https://www.wired.com/story/i-forgot-my-pin-an-epic-tale-of-losing-dollar30000-in-bitcoin/

*The title of the article should now be called "An epic tale of losing $376,000 in bitcoin" at todays prices

Takes me 2 mins to move it to my hard wallet after every purchase. Very difficult to mess it up once you take a 5 minute crash course. Sounds scarier than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Is there a general consensus on best hard wallet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Is there a general consensus on best hard wallet?

Ledger Nano devices are great

https://www.ledger.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

I'm still a bit hazy on what the fees are like for moving crypto from an exchange to a wallet. Is it a flat fee that fluctuates or is it a percentage of what you're transferring? Or does it differ depending on the crypto you're transferring? The fees are what makes me hesitant to move my crypto from an exchange to a wallet, because if it's a flat fee or is somehow cheaper to move in bulk I'd probably just move it all once a year or something. The exchange I use is Coinbase if that makes any difference.

• Advertisement

Jafin wrote: »
    I'm still a bit hazy on what the fees are like for moving crypto from an exchange to a wallet. Is it a flat fee that fluctuates or is it a percentage of what you're transferring? Or does it differ depending on the crypto you're transferring? The fees are what makes me hesitant to move my crypto from an exchange to a wallet, because if it's a flat fee or is somehow cheaper to move in bulk I'd probably just move it all once a year or something. The exchange I use is Coinbase if that makes any difference.

The actual blockchain fees will vary depending on the blockchain and how busy it is (for exemple Ethereum is very expensive at the moment because it is somewhat saturated). But they are unrelated to the amount you are transferring.

Now, your exchange could chose to charge you anyway they like and doesn’t have to reflect the exact cost of transacting on the blockchain in their fees to you. Most likely the have a fixed fee for each blockchain which is being reviewed on a regular basis. It should be listed on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

Bob24 wrote: »
    The actual blockchain fees will vary depending on the blockchain and how busy it is (for exemple Ethereum is very expensive at the moment because it is somewhat saturated). But they are unrelated to the amount you are transferring.

Now, your exchange could chose to charge you anyway they like and doesn’t have to reflect the exact cost to transacting on the blockchain in their fees to you. Must likely the have a fixed fee for each blockchain which is being reviewed on a regular basis. It should be listed on their website.

Ah thank you, that clears things up a bit for me. I did look at the fees section on Coinbase before (it was a while ago though to be fair) and I left there even more confused. I'll give it another look in a bit and see. Thanks again.

Ah thank you, that clears things up a bit for me. I did look at the fees section on Coinbase before (it was a while ago though to be fair) and I left there even more confused. I'll give it another look in a bit and see. Thanks again.

I am not a Coinbase user and maybe someone else can confirm, but based on this link it looks like they don't have a list of set fees, and fees are actually calculated dynamically and displayed to the user whenever they request a withdrawal.

Crypto.com just launched a more modern website, and more importantly a VC fund for crypto-related projects.

Nice to see things moving (not as cool as the F1 partnership I guess :-D).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone playing around with nfts? Anything exciting or interesting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Anyone playing around with nfts? Anything exciting or interesting?

I bought some ECOMI its performed well over the last 4 or 5 weeks. Can't see the attraction personally but them again I'm an ol' fart. Trying not to let personal bias get in the way of making a profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

The instructions for putting ROSE on a wallet and earning interest are post 80 here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116360548

If your crypto is on ETH it is currently expensive to send from one address to another, not worth it IMO with the amount you have, you will loose to much in the transfer, I would leave it on the exchange
    CHZ-ETH
    EWT-ETH
    LINK--ETH
    MATIC-ETH
    When the price drops for a transfer www.myetherwallet.com is free and works with ETH based crypto.
    There is no point in taking them off an exchange if you are planning to trade them, only move them off if you are going to hold for some time.

I see you made the rookie mistake of not looking at the tokens circulating and Max supply, don't worry we have all done it, its probably the number one mistake of new traders.
    TRON
    Circulating Supply
    71,660,220,128 / 100,850,743,812
    Current price $0.049
    If the price 3x to 15c it would be worth $10B currently and $15B with all tokens circulating, for comparison www.viacomcbs.com is worth $16B
    Can you see TRX doing a 20x to $1 and being a $100b company? if you dont and your TRX is in profit sell and move on

Thanks for the in debt reply. Appreciated.
    I would have made a lot more rookie mistakes only for the education Im getting from reading this forum!!

connie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭Esel

connie147 wrote: »
    Thanks for the in debt reply. Appreciated.
    I would have made a lot more rookie mistakes only for the education Im getting from reading this forum!!

connie
    Freudian slip? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

Kraken recently reduced the btc and eth min withdrawal fee. Cost me .0005btc (around €15 at the time) to send .005 btc last month. Current fee is .00015, which still is not cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

mdmix wrote: »
    Kraken recently reduced the btc and eth min withdrawal fee. Cost me .0005btc (around €15 at the time) to send .005 btc last month. Current fee is .00015, which still is not cheap.

The average BTC tx fee is $15-$20 at the moment, it's cheaper than it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

grindle wrote: »
    The average BTC tx fee is $15-$20 at the moment, it's cheaper than it should be.

Hey big spender 🤑 We are not all bitcoin rich 😂 not yet at least!

I had to do 8 transactions so it didn't feel cheap :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

mdmix wrote: »
    Hey big spender 🤑 We are not all bitcoin rich 😂 not yet at least!

I had to do 8 transactions so it didn't feel cheap :L

I'm not saying using BTC's cheap (unless you're sending thousands or more), it's just the price of the network when busy. Kraken are either eating a portion of the cost or sending slow low-fee transactions.
    BTC fees are designed to be high in it's modern incarnation, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

26% of all dollars in existence were printed in the last 12 months:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2NS

Thargor wrote: »
    26% of all dollars in existence were printed in the last 12 months:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/M2NS

Joe public is just ignoring this and I can’t get my head around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It'll be 50% this time next year or worse, its a death spiral to the next crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I dont think they are. They either dont understand it or feel powerless to do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Your average Joe doesn't have a clue. I've told this to several people and they're either shocked or just blank stare. People either don't know or don't care. The lads in work even laugh at me when I talk about investing or when I bought precious metal. They don't understand.

But they're going to understand someday when they wake up and the bank tell's them their currency is worthless. And tax will go through the roof. It could be like Greece all over again.

I mean I hope to God it won't but......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm bored and have crypto to spend

Anyone have any nft recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

NFTs, explained

Please do not give billionaire Jack Dorsey money for his tweet

Grimes sold $6 million worth of digital art as NFTs

Kings of Leon Will Be the First Band to Release an Album as an NFT
    The bulk of the sales came from two pieces with thousands of copies available that sold for $7,500 each.

AAah wtf.......

If Dorsey is selling his tweet does that mean everyone owns what they say on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

The tweet thing is mad. Be interesting to find out what the buyer intends to do with it now its got to such a stupid price. For me this feels like back in the day when people were paying insane money for domain names.

Heres another example of it getting a bit silly!

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/financial-traders-burned-banksy-nft-1948855/amp-page

Apart from all the silly stuff mentioned are there any real-life uses for NFTs? I don't fully understand them yet but what about tickets? Plane, train, cruises, ferries etc. Can they be used for proof of purchase a one of a kind receipt that cannot be duplicated. I have no idea how they work, a friend of mine who has been decent with predictions told me to buy Ecomi (OMI)about 6 weeks ago and I have more than tripled my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Not sure if this is the best place but:

Does anyone have a strategy for getting money into the Crypto sphere via a Credit Card lately? Ulster Bank in particular seem to have everyone blocked if it even remotely smells like Crypto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

ronivek wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the best place but:

Does anyone have a strategy for getting money into the Crypto sphere via a Credit Card lately? Ulster Bank in particular seem to have everyone blocked if it even remotely smells like Crypto.

Revolut should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Thargor wrote: »
    It'll be 50% this time next year or worse, its a death spiral to the next crisis.

It's not a death spiral or anything like that. Currencies have fluid supplies, they are supposed to be created. The dollar barely moved during the last crisis, which was a full-on systemic one, because it's designed that way. We've just been hit by a mega-global pandemic, the world's economy has been put on pause several times, and we'll see certain currencies move a few percent over the next year. Like an average Tuesday in crypto. No "death spirals", no "demise of the US dollar", no financial end of the world crapola.

Just like goldbugs, crypto supporters scare-monger people about currencies and economics because they want those people to buy speculative crypto-assets in order to boost the value of their holdings.

Whilst I like watching the value of my crypto going up, I'm not the biggest fan of the incessant doom-mongering, downright stupidity and tribalism within crypto towards elementary finance, economics, etc.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Revolut should work.

Not for Binance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The binance smart chain is about 4-5dollars in gas to interact on defi now, not as cheap as it was a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I see a lot of news articles of late about "flash crashes" on certain exchanges, such as the one on Kraken two weeks ago. Does anyone put in hail Mary buy orders at -30% in the hopes of catching one of these, or is it just a glitch and unlikely the order would fill?

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The binance smart chain is about 4-5dollars in gas to interact on defi now, not as cheap as it was a few weeks back.

No it isn’t. Same fees as always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

No it isn’t. Same fees as always.

Well relative to bnb price. It's was only a few cents before.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's not a death spiral or anything like that. Currencies have fluid supplies, they are supposed to be created. The dollar barely moved during the last crisis, which was a full-on systemic one, because it's designed that way. We've just been hit by a mega-global pandemic, the world's economy has been put on pause several times, and we'll see certain currencies move a few percent over the next year. Like an average Tuesday in crypto. No "death spirals", no "demise of the US dollar", no financial end of the world crapola.

Just like goldbugs, crypto supporters scare-monger people about currencies and economics because they want those people to buy speculative crypto-assets in order to boost the value of their holdings.

Whilst I like watching the value of my crypto going up, I'm not the biggest fan of the incessant doom-mongering, downright stupidity and tribalism within crypto towards elementary finance, economics, etc.

Sssshhh, don’t spoil the lads crypto revenge fantasy, where everyone who has said mean things to them over their lives loses all their Fiat in a crash and they are left ruling over everyone with their bitcoin .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Not for Binance

That wasn't the question to be fair.

Oh pardon me, I thought he meant in general when he said the crypto sphere. I tried Binance with Revolut and it wouldn't accept.

Oh pardon me, I thought he meant in general when he said the crypto sphere. I tried Binance with Revolut and it wouldn't accept.

Yeah most of the big exchanges are blocking Revolut/TransferWise/CurrencyFair and all those sorts of services.

Also most of the banks are blocking Credit and Debit Card deposits to the exchanges.

I was under the impression Revolut fell under that Credit Card/Debit Card ban?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Lip Out

SEPA transfer from Revolut to Binance works perfectly and there are no fees.

Hope Justin Sun ends up buying it for $2m then Dorsey deletes the tweet to teach him a lesson.

Lip Out wrote: »

When was the last time you sent money via that route?

• Advertisement

In any event Ulster Bank are blocking Revolut also as I've just confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Lip Out

When was the last time you sent money via that route?

Four days ago and zero issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭donnaille

Dohnjoe wrote: »

The disciples of the school of the great and revered economist Anthony Pompliano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

yip I'd have to concur aswell

Four days ago and zero issues.
    Lex Luthor wrote: »
    yip I'd have to concur aswell

Thanks lads.

Turns out Ulster Bank had some system issue which was causing my card to be blocked; and they actually *do* allow Credit Card top-ups to Revolut.

In addition I was able to SEPA Instant from Revolut to Binance without any issue with zero fees; pretty impressive considering none of the banks I'm with can seem to manage that without charging silly fees.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement