Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

You're right to identify that scarcity is a key feature of bitcoin. As for the alts, well it depends on their purpose. If the purpose for example was for the IoT's rather than as digital money, then if IoT develops as it's expected, you'd probably need a shed tonne more.

But then it's also how you splice it and dice it. 1 BTC goes to 8 decimal points. If you said to yourself that the unit was a satoshi, then maybe there's a lot more to go around that originally thought.

But the most important thing....

You can have a cap of 10 tokens or 10 billion tokens. Neither is further on unless it builds up utility and there is some form of demand dynamic developing behind it. For that reason, most altcoins will vapourise ultimately.

The people that promote Bitcoin never mention its limitations. The numerous Coin forks were supposed to have corrected these limitations yet Bitcoin still gets promoted in the media and no one mentions the forked coins in the media.

For example in the video the forked coins were never mentioned. Are they not the new and improved versions of Bitcoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

The people that promote Bitcoin never mention its limitations.
    As you get further into this, you'll find that those that 'promote' various coins are less likely to talk of the disadvantages or as yet unsolved problems. Of course, it depends on who you tune in to - some can be a bit more reasonable in their approach than others. However, one of the greatest problems in this space is - as there's rampant speculation - there's money at stake. Therefore, misinformation is rife.
    The numerous Coin forks were supposed to have corrected these limitations yet Bitcoin still gets promoted in the media and no one mentions the forked coins in the media.

For example in the video the forked coins were never mentioned. Are they not the new and improved versions of Bitcoin
    Whether 'forked' coins improved upon the technology is a matter of ongoing/perennial debate. You also have to consider if they solved one problem and created 10 others.
    I never watched the video. I'm not sure who its from but I'm scared off by a sensationalist splash screen on the video claiming we're going to hit $10 million. Be careful of what you read/watch/listen to, etc. ref. crypto/blockchain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I thought it would be a propaganda video re $10m but it's just an explainer worth sending to friends who may have an interest.

I thought it would be a propaganda video re $10m but it's just an explainer worth sending to friends who may have an interest.
    Not a criticism as such from me on posting it - particularly when I didn't even watch it. I watch/listen/read a shed load on crypto (as I'm sure many do here) - and try and cover the upbeat and downbeat stuff equally - and try and figure stuff out from all of it combined (which is still impossible given that at the back of it all, none of it can be trusted as there is bias in practically everything. The only difference may be the degree of the bias shown). Anyway, that's the crypto space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Not a criticism as such from me on posting it - particularly when I didn't even watch it. I watch/listen/read a shed load on crypto (as I'm sure many do here) - and try and cover the upbeat and downbeat stuff equally - and try and figure stuff out from all of it combined (which is still impossible given that at the back of it all, none of it can be trusted as there is bias in practically everything. The only difference may be the degree of the bias shown). Anyway, that's the crypto space!

Just watch the video and see for yourself, I literally stated in my post to not be put off by the $10m price prediction on the thumbnail yet there you are. Would you comment on an article without reading it? I hope not, because that would be pointless

Arrival wrote: »
    Just watch the video and see for yourself, I literally stated in my post to not be put off by the $10m price prediction on the thumbnail yet there you are. Would you comment on an article without reading it? I hope not, because that would be pointless

Don't get yer knickers in a twist. I've been glued to this 5hit (crypto media) for quite a while. To lead with that is irresponsible - regardless what's behind it. There's not exactly a shortage of media to rummage through - so I *might* watch it later.

Don't get yer knickers in a twist. I've been glued to this 5hit (crypto media) for quite a while. To lead with that is irresponsible - regardless what's behind it. There's not exactly a shortage of media to rummage through - so I *might* watch it later.

Respond when you actually have because I'm genuinely interested in any possible criticisms others may have. It's 40mins but it's so well made it flies by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

But CGT only applies to any profit made over €1,270 no?

Yes that’s right. But you’d still need to calculate your gains for the year based on all the transactions to see if it reaches that amount, and for someone who might have bought when prices were very low it could go up very quick.

For exemple if someone bought their BTC when the price was 1000 euros (1/7th of today’s price), it means that each time they spend 7 euros they are making 6 euros in capital gain.
    So just using the card for €7000 per year gives 6000 euro in capital gain and reaches the threshold easily.

Respond when you actually have because I'm genuinely interested in any possible criticisms others may have. It's 40mins but it's so well made it flies by

I just watched it. The guy has some videography skills. He's done a good job on what is an intro piece on Bitcoin. The only criticism I have is that he really spoilt it by sticking that sensationalist pricing claim on the front of it. Lots of people wont even look at it because of that. (I'm not saying it's right or wrong...to me, every and any price is possible from zero to (pick a number).

Hard to find any other details on the guy - new youtube account, looks like its someone who caught the virus pretty recently. If you wanted to introduce the topic to friends and family and spread the contagion, I guess it's nice easy watching. If you enjoyed watching that, then I'd recommend 'The Rise & Rise of Bitcoin' - it's the first proper documentary that I'm aware of on Bitcoin - came out in 2014 (if you need a link to watch it, message me and I'll send one on). It covers the earlier days of the Bitcoin story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Any thoughts on supply limits for Ethereum and impact on potential future value?

I seen this in my Cryptoompare newsletter

Does anyone no anything about this Helium project. It's an IoT wireless Networking device that has been launched.

Article
    "Helium, a San Francisco-headquartered startup using blockchain technology to facilitate wireless connections, announced the launch of its Helium Hotspot product along with the closure of a $15 million Series C fundraising round.

Some big-name venture capital firms partook in the $15 million raise. This included Kyle Samani and Tushar Jain’s Multicoin Capital and Union Square Ventures (USV), who each co-led the Series C round. In a blog post appearing on Multicoin’s website, Jain noted the fact Helium marked “the largest private investment [Multicoin has] made.”

Although initially launching in the U.S., Helium intends to expand network coverage internationally, chief operating officer Frank Mong mentioned in a Medium blog post published Wednesday evening (CET)."

https://blog.helium.com/telcos-arent-the-future-you-are-416da1754e9d

Bob24 wrote: »
    But CGT only applies to any profit made over €1,270 no?

Yes that’s right. But you’d still need to calculate your gains for the year based on all the transactions to see if it reaches that amount, and for someone who might have bought when prices were very low it could go up very quick.

For exemple if someone bought their BTC when the price was 1000 euros (1/7th of today’s price), it means that each time they spend 7 euros they are making 6 euros in capital gain.
    So just using the card for €7000 per year gives 6000 euro in capital gain and reaches the threshold easily.

Yeah that's a pain in the hole alright. CGT in this country is ridiculous anyway, very unfriendly towards CCs which is going to negatively impact the country as adoption picks up.

Chainlink have partnered with Google.

"We're thrilled to share that Google is one of the great companies integrating #Chainlink into their approach to smart contract adoption. Here's how @GCPcloud users can use Chainlink to connect to BigQuery, one of Google's most popular cloud services."https://t.co/TfaGPP5TlS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Nice. I had a small bag on Binance of Chainlink (that I'd purchased at $0.32 over a year ago) that I'd completely forgotten about. Up 55% today and 770% over the last year. I don't know too much about this project so not sure if I should sell my holdings.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

el diablo wrote: »
    Nice. I had a small bag on Binance of Chainlink (that I'd purchased at $0.32 over a year ago) that I'd completely forgotten about. Up 55% today and 770% over the last year. I don't know too much about this project so not sure if I should sell my holdings.

Personally I'd sell most but leave some percentage whether 10-40% as the moonshot if I think it may hit billions. Which it could, long term. Depends on how a bull goes, doesn't it?
    Tiny bit of Google news did this, mad.
    Small side-project for Google currently = 60% increase for LINK

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Personally I'd sell most but leave some percentage whether 10-40% as the moonshot if I think it may hit billions. Which it could, long term. Depends on how a bull goes, doesn't it?
    Tiny bit of Google news did this, mad.
    Small side-project for Google currently = 60% increase for LINK

I reread the tweet and Im not sure if it's a partnership or Google have decided to use Chainlink and Chainlink decided to tweet about it as if it's a partnership.

Either way, I first seen the tweet within an hour of it posting and it had jumped 67% in that time

It will be interesting when Facebook launch the White paper next week. I think Ziliqa are connected with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Although initially launching in the U.S., Helium intends to expand network coverage internationally, chief operating officer Frank Mong mentioned in a Medium blog post published Wednesday evening (CET)."

https://blog.helium.com/telcos-arent-the-future-you-are-416da1754e9d
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

That’s a contributor article. Which means that person has paid money to have their article posted on the Forbes website. Forbes haven’t an ounce of journalistic integrity left.

The 4chan oddballs will be happy about the chainlink pump.

That’s a contributor article. Which means that person has paid money to have their article posted on the Forbes website. Forbes haven’t an ounce of journalistic integrity left.

The 4chan oddballs will be happy about the chainlink pump.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for pointing it out.

Who or what is the 4Chan group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It will be interesting when Facebook launch the White paper next week. I think Ziliqa are connected with it.

Why do you think this?

People saying on Telegram that Asian Market will pump Chainlink when it wakes in 1-2hours.

It might be worth keeping an eye on

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for pointing it out.

You have to be mindful of ALL media (and most of all from that reprobate ^^). He's wrong. They don't pay Forbes. However, PR agencies do pitch articles to Forbes (and practically every other publication) which they may or may not publish.

Of course, it's good for them, their profile and whatever their product or service happens to be. But whether paid or otherwise - you simply can't take any media as fact these days. Everything comes with its own prejudice. You have to assess its value yourself as you go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

el diablo wrote: »

I just realized I have a giant bag of BTC that I just totally forgot about

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Why do you think this?

There are many rumours about it on Telegram.

Looks like it's not true though going by Zils Twitter.

There are many rumours about it on Telegram.

Looks like it's not true though going by Zils Twitter.

Don't trust internet shills - if there's no source behind the comment disregard it completely and don't trade based on a "What if?".

Don't trust internet shills - if there's no source behind the comment disregard it completely and don't trade based on a "What if?".

Will take more care.

One other rumour that was mentioned Is that Ziliqa will be making an announcement on Ziliqa Day which is Tuesday the 18th June.
    https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/zilliqa-day-2019-tickets-61914617287/amp?__twitter_impression=true

People probably linked this and Facebooks launch together.

Just thought I'd mention it in case something does get announced as Ziliqa Day is on the 18th as you can see from the link.

Maybe there is something in it relating to a partnership with another company.

Maybe there is something in it relating to a partnership with another company.

Maybe, but given the way crypto announcements go they'll be partnering with a library in Nantucket or something. "The words 'crypto' and 'partnership' when combined should be viewed under microscope. Maybe it's big, probably it's not.

Maybe, but given the way crypto announcements go they'll be partnering with a library in Nantucket or something. "The words 'crypto' and 'partnership' when combined should be viewed under microscope. Maybe it's big, probably it's not.

Your correct but given how Chainlink jumped on Google news it would be a shame to miss out if something was announced. No harm to keep an eye on it Monday/Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Just seen this on whale alert.

🚨 🚨 3,300 #BTC (26,868,109 USD) transferred from unknown wallet to #Binance

Tx: https://t.co/NerwjGtZ6Q

• Advertisement

PayPal, Visa, Mastercard and Uber investing in Facebook Coin.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebooks-new-cryptocurrency-gets-big-backers-11560463312

Pretty damn centralised so.

What could we expect from FBcoin? It couldn't be anything but centralised unless they said "We're funding this but all the devs are anon and everything is open source - we don't even know why we're doing it, it has no upside for us!".
    Facebook is the largest data-mining phonebook in existence.

It'll be a good challenger in remittance, but not consumer friendly at it's base.

With PayPal, Visa and Mastercard involved Max Keisers prediction that it will kill Xrp might be correct.

Facebook could be the US government's way of influencing crypto for Bankers Benefit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

With PayPal, Visa and Mastercard involved Max Keisers prediction that it will kill Xrp might be correct.

XRP focuses more on interbank systems, xborder settlement and communications like SWIFT.

PP, Visa and MC are payment systems - a slightly different sphere (with some overlap)

Facebook could be the US government's way of influencing crypto for Bankers Benefit

The US gov, banks, etc don't feel "threatened" by crypto, at all, this is just something the community has invented to bolster various narratives. Any entity with fiscal responsibility is concerned about the negative knock-on effects of people and companies minting their own unregulated private currencies

If you, for example, created a "dark dollar", the financial regulators and watchdogs wouldn't be targeting it because they felt "it threatens the dollar!", they would be primarily be concerned about it's potential for abuse, laundering, etc

Just on this topic, could we even have imagined 2/3 years ago that Facebook and these allies would have been getting involved in their own global crypto currency now.

It's becoming the norm to not even be surprised by mnc's getting involved in the space.

Just on this topic, could we even have imagined 2/3 years ago that Facebook and these allies would have been getting involved in their own global crypto currency now.

It's becoming the norm to not even be surprised by mnc's getting involved in the space.

Am glad they are getting involved. It could (should) open the doors for more investors to come into speculative crypto

Also stuff like Revolut will be amazing for bull runs, the more ease with which joe public can buy, the better it is for existing holders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    XRP focuses more on interbank systems, xborder settlement and communications like SWIFT.

PP, Visa and MC are payment systems - a slightly different sphere (with some overlap)

Also, my understanding if Facebook’s strategy is that they are trying to at least partially move away from their current business model to become a lot more like WeChat in China.

i.e. removing many aspects of the Facebook wall and public positing and becoming a centralised mass communication platform on which they gradually plug more and more services to the point of becoming the app everyone launches not just to chat with friends but also make a mobile payment, order food delivery, call in an electrician, book a train ticket, play online games, talk to a doctor, etc.

I might be wrong but in that context I doubt Facebook is interested in Ripple’s niche of interbank transfer: I think what they might want is some type of global currency on which they have some control and which is used on their service platform globally (both to give them an even stronger grip on as an intermediary between users and service providers and to simplify their operating model and user experience while possibly avoiding some national monetary regulations).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Chainlink has now inadvertently become my third biggest holding after BTC and ETH. Interesting.

• Advertisement

They're still waiting on regulatory approval. Could take an age yet. Still positive that they're testing though - just that we'll have to be patient on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

How is a centralised coin ran by a company with a terrible privacy record seen as a win for crypto?

435 posts in this crypto sub forum and never once an acknowledgement of one positive facet of cryptocurrency or blockchain tech. Under any other circumstances, it could well be a question worth answering.

How is a centralised coin ran by a company with a terrible privacy record seen as a win for crypto?

Most crypto sentiment seems to be highly suspicious of it.

Personally I tihnk it could boost the value of my crypto holdings by potentially being a gateway for a significant, so far untouched, portion of the public

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

435 posts in this crypto sub forum and never once an acknowledgement of one positive facet of cryptocurrency or blockchain tech. Under any other circumstances, it could well be a question worth answering.

yeah but blockchain, the only valuable thing about bitcoin, is already being used or planned to be used all over the shop, so bitcoin and other cryptocurrency have no market or financial hold over the most useful part of the tech.

• Advertisement

Nobelium wrote: »
    yeah but blockchain, the only valuable thing about bitcoin, is already being used or planned to be used all over the shop, so bitcoin and other cryptocurrency have no market or financial hold over the most useful part of the tech.

I'm not sure what your point is given the context of my post and what (who) it was intended to address.

You running with the Bitcoin BAD, blockchain GOOD mantra that the banks first peddled? If you don't see any innovation in borderless, unconfiscatable, censorship resistant, decentralised digital money, that's your view I guess. However, I do see tremendous value in it.

but blockchain, the only valuable thing about bitcoin, is already being used or planned to be used all over the shop, so bitcoin and other cryptocurrency have no market or financial hold over the most useful part of the tech.

If you don't know why the public-facing side of blockchain is the most important part of blockchain, you haven't read up on this enough. If they want a private blockchain without publishing onto a public chain at any point they're wasting money that could rent a database for 100x the time period.

"But if the company owns the blockchain it's trustworthy, magically!"

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

If you don't know why the public-facing side of blockchain is the most important part of blockchain, you haven't read up on this enough. If they want a private blockchain without publishing onto a public chain at any point they're wasting money that could rent a database for 100x the time period.

"But if the company owns the blockchain it's trustworthy, magically!"

No.

If don't know blockchain is not going to be exclusive to bitcoin and cryptocurrencies, and they have no intrinsic value, you can kiss your money goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

As per title, have we reached the bottom ?

Don't think we'll see the likes of $3200 ever again.

$5150 at time of posting.

Back in the mainstream media once more.

Don't think we'll see $20,000 ever again either.

Bitcoin, like all cryptocurrencies, are inherently stupid.

They produce nothing of value, just a lot of people constantly looking at numbers going in random directions like gamblers.

At best a waste of time.

If don't know blockchain is not going to be exclusive to bitcoin and cryptocurrencies, and they have no intrinsic value, you can kiss your money goodbye.

Tell me why outside sources should trust any one company's blockchain my love.

"No, I will post a few more times making no sense whilst skirting around that issue thank you very much!"

Okay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement