Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Whats the Price Target for Q4 2021 from those who've been following it for a while?

I'd say a conservative $30 for 2021, best case maybe $60/70 into Q1 2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    Anyone into yeild farming here? I've a nice amount of fetch.ai on crypto.com which cannot be staked there, and I was checking out the developers website, and they offer a reward system of "up to 275% apy" for yeild farming on their system.

Working surprisingly well so far, earning about 0.8% return a day, gas fees where a big hit at the start but I've covered them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It's a fascinating project, and one I'm bemused regarding how well its doing.

Decentralised video hosting isn't a bad shout for blockchain stuff at all - we've been fiddling with various P2P implementations of it for years in all sorts of technologies - but low-latency streaming in this implementation slightly concerns me; especially their claim about 'lower latency, smoother streaming'.

Basically for route management, discovery, peering - the topology related stuff of any bridging network system with edge nodes - is fine on blockchain. Its the delivery/bandwidth/integrity of the stream itself I'm a little confused by, but the rise in sentiment (and price of the coin) has me sufficiently intrigued to try and dive their tech stack.

Whats the Price Target for Q4 2021 from those who've been following it for a while?

It seems a relatively 'crashproof' altcoin in terms of its usecase, institutional buy-in, and higher unit price than most alts so considering a hold for longer than 3+ months which is unusual for me for anything not largecap/large unit.

Its getting pretty large cap now!

Anywhere between 20-30 dollars is a good year.

Dont forget its not just streaming, edge computing will be a big part of their future plans. Everything will be moving to the edge in the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

Weekly half million Satoshis acquired.

Imminent dump? Who cares.

Hodl.

Bragging of making a grand total of €245 of BTC in a week of trading, posters making that in a day off shít coins, your posting like your a whale when in reality your plankton.
    I happy you posted that , it will give a better perspective to the rest of your posts.

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'd say a conservative $30 for 2021, best case maybe $60/70 into Q1 2022

We all like a bit of positive thinking but come on, delusional to say the least.
    Theta 1,000,000,000 in circulation.
    So you really believe it will hit a conservative $30 for 2021?
    $30B would put it today at rank 7 in marketcap.
    Porsche SE Market cap: $31.48 B
    Toyota Industries Market cap: $30.50 B
    Hapag-Lloyd Market cap: $30.30 B
    ArcelorMittal Market cap: $29.89 B

$60/70B would have it at rank 3.
    Adidas Market cap: $67.23 B
    BMW Market cap: $63.45 B
    Heineken Market cap: $61.69 B
    So Theta is going to be worth the same or more than these household names?
    Get some perspective, Amazon in 2014 paid $970 million in cash for Twitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Dnxncofiruwvx

Bragging of making a grand total of €245 of BTC in a week of trading, posters making that in a day off shít coins, your posting like your a whale when in reality your plankton.
    I happy you posted that , it will give a better perspective to the rest of your posts.

No need for that mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

i think he was basically saying that's the amount he DCAs in during a week. not a brag.

cravings wrote: »
    i think he was basically saying that's the amount he DCAs in during a week. not a brag.

Exactly. I'd love if the missis let me dca in a grand a month, we'd be living on beans :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There’s a difference between making 245 and investing.
    I doubt many here are DCA’ing over 245/day (90k pa)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You din't understand what he said, plain though it was, and that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Exactly. I'd love if the missis let me dca in a grand a month, we'd be living on beans :D

Living on beans? I see an NFT in your future. :D

Living on beans? I see an NFT in your future. :D

Brilliant :D

We all like a bit of positive thinking but come on, delusional to say the least.
    Theta 1,000,000,000 in circulation.
    So you really believe it will hit a conservative $30 for 2021?
    $30B would put it today at rank 7 in marketcap.
    Porsche SE Market cap: $31.48 B
    Toyota Industries Market cap: $30.50 B
    Hapag-Lloyd Market cap: $30.30 B
    ArcelorMittal Market cap: $29.89 B

$60/70B would have it at rank 3.
    Adidas Market cap: $67.23 B
    BMW Market cap: $63.45 B
    Heineken Market cap: $61.69 B
    So Theta is going to be worth the same or more than these household names?
    Get some perspective, Amazon in 2014 paid $970 million in cash for Twitch.

Well you think chainlink is going to a few hundred so why should that be higher than all these great businesses.

There is no point comparing crypto market cap with stocks.

No need for that mate
    The more I read of posters here it becomes clear there are two different types, A, who are serious investors and B, who are Rinky Dink investors.
    The problem is distinguishing which is which.
    We have absolute useless posts of the quality of “Buy XYZ, thank me later” “Get on ABC it going to moon” , is it too hard to post a short proposition as to why you think it will be a good investment?
    I suppose it would complete expose the Rinky Dink players if they attempted to give their reasoning, so they don’t, and continue to post “ABC to the moon” without any info as to why.
    We see posters here proclaim, I’m going in on XYZ” some perspective is needed, a move in of €1k+ would warrant attention, but a move of €100 from a Rinky Dink investor, while not giving a single reason other than “trust me, it will be huge” what’s the point?
    We see the same posters espousing a move to Portugal to avoid paying taxes on their crypto gains, one would think they are serious investors and making serious money, then they proudly proclaim a couple of hundred euro a week gains……….. in a bull market!!
    These same posters state they are thinking of becoming a full time crypto trader, what are they going to give up playing Xbox all day and trade their dole money?
    The history of some posters shows they move a massive €100 to coinbase, it pumps to €150, they proclaim they are withdrawing the initial investment of €100 and will get the €50 ride, “too the moon” these same Rinky Dink investors are leading the conversation around here.

Theta to €70B market cap!!!! What are they smoking?
    Remember we are in a Bull Market, perspective has been completely lost round here, it will all end in tears with new users of this forum ending upholding heavy bags of shît coins that have lost most of their value, all due to the Rinky Dink investors posing as experts, gambling €20 of their dole money.

How do you fix it?
    1,Any recommendations should come with a synopsis of why you think its going to rise in price, “I like the sound of the name” aint a valid reason, if you can’t post a paragraph as to why its a good buy , don’t bother.
    2, Quit the BS about moving to Portugal to avoid paying tax, quitting the day job to trade crypto, in other words posing as Wall Street Titans and they bragging about a couple of hundred euro weekly gains in a bull market, a serious investor around here would have spent that on gas fees on Uniswap.

The outcome we all want is to make money, Gordon Gecko larpers are going to cost folk around here money in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Not nice to see that over here. There seems to be a great community over here. Shame to see that post. :(

Theta to €70B market cap!!!! What are they smoking? .

Post bookmarked for eoy, 2022 and 2023.

detoxkid wrote: »
    Not nice to see that over here. There seems to be a great community over here. Shame to see that post. :(

Dont take him seriously, he's only having a bit of fun I'd imagine, bit of a parody at this stage.

Everyone has to start somewhere, dca in a little bit every week. The biggest crypto millionaires went with this approach and it will work over time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The more I read of posters here it becomes clear there are two different types, A, who are serious investors and B, who are Rinky Dink investors.
    The problem is distinguishing which is which..

The problem is, you think it's a problem.

It's a discussion board, you're going to get a fairly broad mix which probably skews towards the amateur investors rather the Gordon Gecko types.

I assume it's pretty much all amateurs/enthusiasts to be honest, the Gordon Geckos only being such in their own head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IMO Revolut is a great way to get started in Crypto.

The main benefit of Revolut for a newbie is you can buy and more importantly sell instantly 24/7,
    so you can experience the crazy ups and downs of crypto, but you can get out of it quickly and easily if you need to.

I admit, I know very little about the whole Crypto thing (save for that I should have gotten into it when it first came up years ago :)) but if I was to transfer say €50 into Bitcoin each month via Revolut is it as simple as that?

- Can I lose more than I spend?
    - How much can you have/invest before you need to declare it to Revenue?

Sorry, basic/stupid questions I know but they're the 2 that jump out of me. :)

• Advertisement

The problem is distinguishing which is which.
    We have absolute useless posts of the quality of “Buy XYZ, thank me later” “Get on ABC it going to moon” , is it too hard to post a short proposition as to why you think it will be a good investment?
    I suppose it would complete expose the Rinky Dink players if they attempted to give their reasoning, so they don’t, and continue to post “ABC to the moon” without any info as to why.
    We see posters here proclaim, I’m going in on XYZ” some perspective is needed, a move in of €1k+ would warrant attention, but a move of €100 from a Rinky Dink investor, while not giving a single reason other than “trust me, it will be huge” what’s the point?
    We see the same posters espousing a move to Portugal to avoid paying taxes on their crypto gains, one would think they are serious investors and making serious money, then they proudly proclaim a couple of hundred euro a week gains……….. in a bull market!!
    These same posters state they are thinking of becoming a full time crypto trader, what are they going to give up playing Xbox all day and trade their dole money?
    The history of some posters shows they move a massive €100 to coinbase, it pumps to €150, they proclaim they are withdrawing the initial investment of €100 and will get the €50 ride, “too the moon” these same Rinky Dink investors are leading the conversation around here.

Theta to €70B market cap!!!! What are they smoking?
    Remember we are in a Bull Market, perspective has been completely lost round here, it will all end in tears with new users of this forum ending upholding heavy bags of shît coins that have lost most of their value, all due to the Rinky Dink investors posing as experts, gambling €20 of their dole money.

How do you fix it?
    1,Any recommendations should come with a synopsis of why you think its going to rise in price, “I like the sound of the name” aint a valid reason, if you can’t post a paragraph as to why its a good buy , don’t bother.
    2, Quit the BS about moving to Portugal to avoid paying tax, quitting the day job to trade crypto, in other words posing as Wall Street Titans and they bragging about a couple of hundred euro weekly gains in a bull market, a serious investor around here would have spent that on gas fees on Uniswap.

The outcome we all want is to make money, Gordon Gecko larpers are going to cost folk around here money in the long term.

The sooner schools open back up the better

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I was to transfer say €50 into Bitcoin each month via Revolut is it as simple as that?

Yep, it’s as simple as that :) One thing to note - when you buy Bitcoin on Revolut you don’t actually own the Bitcoin, it’s more like an IOU note that matches the value of the asset. Many will tell you it’s better to actually own the Bitcoin you’re buying, but I reckon for someone new to the space averaging in Revolut might be the best way to do it.

Like any investment really, if the market crashes you can lose everything you put in.

You can have as much Bitcoin as you want before you need to declare it to revenue. You only need to declare it once you convert it back into a euro amount again as it becomes subject to Capital Gains Tax, and even then you have a capital gains tax free allowance of €1,270.

I admit, I know very little about the whole Crypto thing (save for that I should have gotten into it when it first came up years ago :)) but if I was to transfer say €50 into Bitcoin each month via Revolut is it as simple as that?

Yes, but you most likely won't. Look at the 5yr graph for BTC, there are a few major dips but it always recovers and the graph is upward.

For capital gains tax you only have to declare realised profits over €1270 and are then subject to 33% CGT. Of course if it's left in crypto and not converted into another crypto (taxable event) or fiat currency you have no profit to declare. See the other tax threads. For this reason you are best to avoid Revolut as the only option there is to convert back into fiat, other exchanges let you withdraw to a wallet or borrow on the strength of your crypto and load a visa card.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Dont take him seriously, he's only having a bit of fun I'd imagine, bit of a parody at this stage.

Everyone has to start somewhere, dca in a little bit every week. The biggest crypto millionaires went with this approach and it will work over time.

€250 a week isn’t chump change either though! Although maybe Boards very own Warren Buffet might disagree :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Yes, but you most likely won't. Look at the 5yr graph for BTC, there are a few major dips but it always recovers and the graph is upward.

For capital gains tax you only have to declare realised profits over €1270 and are then subject to 33% CGT. Of course if it's left in crypto and not converted into another crypto (taxable event) or fiat currency you have no profit to declare. See the other tax threads. For this reason you are best to avoid Revolut as the only option there is to convert back into fiat, other exchanges let you withdraw to a wallet or borrow on the strength of your crypto and load a visa card.

What if you converted your BTC into USDT and held that? Is that a taxable event?

To answer your questions.

If are just buying BTC or any crypto. No you can’t lose more than you invest/spend.
    Losing more than you invest occurs when you engage in leveraged trading. Essentially borrowing from a broker using your deposit as collateral.

No amount needs to be declared to revenue if you are just investing and holding. Only when you trade from crypto to another currency (including directly to another crypto) a taxable event occurs. Subject to CGT, with the first €1,270 of profit exempt.

• Advertisement

What if you converted your BTC into USDT and held that? Is that a taxable event?

Yes, you've converted one asset to another

Like any investment really, if the market crashes you can lose everything you put in.

You can have as much Bitcoin as you want before you need to declare it to revenue. You only need to declare it once you convert it back into a euro amount again as it becomes subject to Capital Gains Tax, and even then you have a capital gains tax free allowance of €1,270.
    Both of those answers are incorrect.

He was asking about losing more than you put in. ie price crashes and you owe more than your entire portfolio is worth.

Second is just wrong.

Mellor wrote: »
    Both of those answers are incorrect.

He was asking about losing more than you put in. ie price crashes and you owe more than your entire portfolio is worth.

Second is just wrong.

Pretty sure a new investor averaging in on Revolut isn’t going to be margin trading but hey you do you.

Care to explain to me what’s wrong about not having to declare investments until you convert it?

Graham wrote: »
    The problem is, you think it's a problem.

It's a discussion board, you're going to get a fairly broad mix which probably skews towards the amateur investors rather the Gordon Gecko types.

I assume it's pretty much all amateurs/enthusiasts to be honest, the Gordon Geckos only being such in their own head.

Crypto getting more exposure to the public, a boards user new to it all checks out the crypto forum here, see the same posters talking about huge gains, going to quit day job to trade full time, will be moving to Portugal to avoid paying 33% CGT on their profits, the new investor is now thinking these cats know what they are doing, and they have just posted "buy ABC, you wont regret it" new investors drops some money on ABC, sure why not, its a recomendation from poster who are making BIG money.
    Turns out a few days/weeks later these trading titans are Rinky Dink larpers, now the question is do you think that is fare that they portray themselves as big movers making serious bank?
    They are leading newbies down the garden path.
    So i would recommend to new investors , disregard any and all posts that recomend a coin/token unless the poster lays out a synopsis as to why, if they are going to invest in it, why wont they share their reason why?
    I have made a few picks, posted my reasons, many have replied in both postitive and negative, this to me is all good, a poster might put me wise to a bit of info i did not know about that could change my outlook, but a simple " buy ABC, thank me later" brings absolutly nothing to the forum.
    We all want to make money, if the BS is dropped, and posters have a reality check on what we know or dont know, the collective hive mind of Boards might just pick a few gems and make money for all, and these Rinky Dink investors could actually make real money and the fantasy in their head of quitting work to trade and move to Portugal might become a reaity.
    €250 a week in a bull market, FFS posters could probably find that rooting down the back of the sofa.

you already said all that a few posts ago.

and no one said 250 a week profit. and so what if they did.

don't be shaming other people talking about smaller amounts of money than you claim to have.

• Advertisement

cravings wrote: »
    you already said all that a few posts ago.

and no one said 250 a week profit. and so what if they did.

don't be shaming other people talking about smaller amounts of money than you claim to have.
    The whole point of my post is we have posters saying they are going to quit work and trade full time they are making so much money, they then say they will be moving to Portugal to avoid paying CGT on their profits.
    To a new boards member viewing this forum it sounds impressive, these cats know what they are doing, i will put money down on one of their recommendations, as a newbie ill too shall be making serious money I will follow in their foot steps to Portugal .
    The reality is they made €250 in a week during a bull run.
    Don’t get me wrong, €250 is a nice bit of money, if bragging about it , must have been a good week, feeling proud and want the world to know.
    That €250 x 52 is €13,000, so going to give up work and trade full time, going to move to Portugal to avoid the CGT, all this wind and pîss about €250 , sure you get €203 on the dole for doing nothing.
    Spoofers going to cost newbies money, and you and others are fine with that?

Pretty sure a new investor averaging in on Revolut isn’t going to be margin trading but hey you do you.
    They are unlikely to be. But the fact is leveraged trading exists.
    So which is why I said it won’t happen unless you are leveraging. Better to give accurate information that pretending it can’t happen imo.
    Care to explain to me what’s wrong about not having to declare investments until you convert it?
    You said you only have to declare it when you convert back to euro. That is not correct.
    The reasons why are mentioned above.

They are unlikely to be. But the fact is leveraged trading exists.
    So which is why I said it won’t happen unless you are leveraging. Better to give accurate information that pretending it can’t happen imo.

You said you only have to declare it when you convert back to euro. That is not correct.
    The reasons why are mentioned above.

But I was replying specifically to this guy and the questions he asked, not about every scenario under the sun. My sincere apologies if it didn’t fit your strict criteria for a response :)

Don’t get me wrong, €250 is a nice bit of money, if bragging about it , must have been a good week, feeling proud and want the world to know.

You keeping repeating this idea of 250 in a week profit. That’s not what was said. A few posters have pointed that out. The fact you still aren’t grasping that is making you look a bit clueless tbh.

FYI 245 DCA over 3yr is probably worth 100k now
    So a tiny 5% week would be 5k not 245.

Edit: actually it would be worth $250k

But I was replying specifically to this guy and the questions he asked, not about every scenario under the sun. My sincere apologies if it didn’t fit your strict criteria for a response :)

Regardless what you said about Tax was wrong under every scenario, including his one. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The whole point of my post is we have posters saying they are going to quit work and trade full time they are making so much money, they then say they will be moving to Portugal to avoid paying CGT on their profits.
    To a new boards member viewing this forum it sounds impressive, these cats know what they are doing, i will put money down on one of their recommendations, as a newbie ill too shall be making serious money I will follow in their foot steps to Portugal .
    That €250 x 52 is €13,000, so going to give up work and trade full time, going to move to Portugal to avoid the CGT, all this wind and pîss about €250 , sure you get €203 on the dole for doing nothing.

No one here is a "trader". Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of crypto can make some casino style spreads in a bull run, especially one like this.
    1. 1. Find a coin that hasn't moved much relative to the rest of the market
    2. 2. Throw some money on it
    3. 3. If it goes up, post about it
    4. 4. If it doesn't, then don't

The market won't defy gravity forever and when it does go down, all the bull fundamentalists magically disappear and the doom and gloom bear merchants reappear. Rinse, repeat.

In my experience, as mentioned before, the people with the biggest stacks are those who buy when it's all down, and sit on it for years. There's not much skill required, just patience and sometimes a little luck. No one I know who is on a big stack is buying right now, they are either holding or selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are not doing yourself any favours and are digging yourself deeper with almost every post. The €250 has been explained to you by several people and you still don't get it. The million satoshis wasn't profit, it was their weekly buy to add to their pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

To answer your questions.

If are just buying BTC or any crypto. No you can’t lose more than you invest/spend.
    Losing more than you invest occurs when you engage in leveraged trading. Essentially borrowing from a broker using your deposit as collateral.

No amount needs to be declared to revenue if you are just investing and holding. Only when you trade from crypto to another currency (including directly to another crypto) a taxable event occurs. Subject to CGT, with the first €1,270 of profit exempt.

Just to ad to the above: if your depositing crypto on a service which is paying you interests or if you are receiving crypto from mining/staking, those are also taxable events which need to be reported (I initially thought DIRT would apply on interests, but after quite a bit of research, I have came to the conclusion that it is income tax which is due in all of these cases).

Forks and airdrops might also be taxable but I think opinions will differ on if/how these should be reported to Revenue (I.e. are they considered a gift or income?)

Don't even bother responded to Dick or Dirk whatever he is called. The format of his posts makes it easy to skim over so no idea how you can read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

They are leading newbies down the garden path.
    So i would recommend to new investors , disregard any and all posts that recomend a coin/token unless the poster lays out a synopsis as to why, if they are going to invest in it, why wont they share their reason why?
    I have made a few picks, posted my reasons, many have replied in both postitive and negative, this to me is all good, a poster might put me wise to a bit of info i did not know about that could change my outlook, but a simple " buy ABC, thank me later" brings absolutly nothing to the forum.
    We all want to make money, if the BS is dropped, and posters have a reality check on what we know or dont know

This honestly has to be a parody account at this point.
    image.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

This honestly has to be a parody account at this point.

Now in fairness he did go on to explain in the proceeding posts

Regardless what you said about Tax was wrong under every scenario, including his one. :confused:

Converting Bitcoin to Euro isn’t a taxable event that needs to be reported to revenue? Whatever you say Tarzan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Jaysus, are we all trying to fill the void left following the retreat into salty crevices of the butcher and the pintman - and the untimely passing of Johnny of the family Flash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Converting Bitcoin to Euro isn’t a taxable event that needs to be reported to revenue? Whatever you say Tarzan.

That's not what you said though. You said you only have to when it's converted to euro. You were wrong and you know you were, so why keep up the act?

Converting it to anything else counts as a disposal and is taxable.

This thread reminds me why I don’t come on Boards more often, what a cesspit!

They say the best way to get the correct answer to a question is to post the wrong answer on the internet! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭dougal0691

it would be so much better if people were allowed post lies and no one could call them out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Bitcoin and ethereum taking a dive now.

Ripple holding up well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Bitcoin and ethereum taking a dive now.

Ripple holding up well.

$59,500 to 58,500 is a dive????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement