Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭BrandonBay86

Are you going to announce it every week?

More than likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Irish_rat wrote: »
    What correction? Theta in the top 10 :D

mwah haha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

Irish_rat wrote: »
    What correction? Theta in the top 10 :D

Just checked on CoinGecko up over 18,000% since this time last year. Nice gains for anybody who bought cheap.

Just checked on CoinGecko up over 18,000% since this time last year. Nice gains for anybody who bought cheap.

this post never ages

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114404926&postcount=4365

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Well played lex. Are you still holding our have your sold your bags.

cravings wrote: »
    Converting it to anything else counts as a disposal and is taxable.

Can I clarify this; does converting from BTC to ETH count as a taxable event?

Yes, you've converted one asset to another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭dougal0691

yes, the only conversion that is not taxable is the initial one from euro to whatever you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hello2020

i m a new to this and want to start with couple of grands buying Crypto. which platform should i use to start with? which currency to pick for this small amount? is Coinbase or Uphold good places to start with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

hello2020 wrote: »
    i m a new to this and want to start with couple of grands buying Crypto. which platform should i use to start with? which currency to pick for this small amount? is Coinbase or Uphold good places to start with?

I started on Coinbase and quickly switched to Binance and it had more selection, then I ended up opening accounts at Hoo, Bitforex and a few others searching for some obscure tokens/coins. BTW Bilaxy are a robbing shower of so an so's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Binance for me. Free Sepa deposits, large selection of coins, reasonable fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

That poster must be onto their 10th lambo by now ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Timmaay wrote: »

Oh nice, I'm featured in a screenshot :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I started on Coinbase and quickly switched to Binance and it had more selection, then I ended up opening accounts at Hoo, Bitforex and a few others searching for some obscure tokens/coins. BTW Bilaxy are a robbing shower of so an so's.

What happened with Bilaxy?

I was looking at their site recently and it looked dodgy as **** .

yabadabado wrote: »
    What happened with Bilaxy?

I was looking at their site recently and it looked dodgy as **** .

So I like XED and have been buying the dips the last while to increase my bag, its available on HOO and Bilaxy, Im also buying XGG on bilaxy and I always transfer out immediately to Trust wallet. Bilaxy is a rip off, Ill use hypothetical figures just to illustrate what they did on me with XED recently.

€180 was approx 211 USDT
    Buy approx 155 XED with the 211 USDT
    Transfer the 155 XED to trust wallet
    End up with approx 95 XED
    Charged approx 60 XED to (€60) for the transaction fee
    Went onto etherscan and the fee was €17

The did the same with XGG they were looking for a scandalous amount of XGG to transfer almost 1/3 of the coins I bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Well played lex. Are you still holding our have your sold your bags.

You'd be mad to sell its got strong fundamentals and the moon boys are now joining

hello2020 wrote: »

the only reason I would be going with coinbase is that eventually it will be another option to buy Theta, otherwise stick with Binance

but have at least 2 options for cashing out cos when the euphoria hits they have a tendency to go down when you need them the most

So I like XED and have been buying the dips the last while to increase my bag, its available on HOO and Bilaxy, Im also buying XGG on bilaxy and I always transfer out immediately to Trust wallet. Bilaxy is a rip off, Ill use hypothetical figures just to illustrate what they did on me with XED recently.

€180 was approx 211 USDT
    Buy approx 155 XED with the 211 USDT
    Transfer the 155 XED to trust wallet
    End up with approx 95 XED
    Charged approx 60 XED to (€60) for the transaction fee
    Went onto etherscan and the fee was €17

The did the same with XGG they were looking for a scandalous amount of XGG to transfer almost 1/3 of the coins I bought.

Convert it to USDT and withdraw on the Tron network for $1

Timmaay wrote: »

Apparently they are still buying corn and aren’t stopping until 1 BTC = 1 Lambo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Whelo79 wrote: »
    $59,500 to 58,500 is a dive????

Yeah. And your post got 15 thanks.

Dobbytoes wrote: »
    Convert it to USDT and withdraw on the Tron network for $1

Convert what, the XED? I think the problem with Bilaxy is not the already extortionate gas fees but that Bilaxy charge fees on top of that, as I said they charged €60 to transfer and when I checked the transaction on etherscan the fees were €17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I've not been such a big fan of Elon's twits (the doge nonsense) recently but I can't fault his tweets in the past hour -> https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1374617643446063105?s=20

Any revenue received in btc will stay in btc and not be converted into usd/eur, etc. Ability to pay in btc enabled in the US right now - and to be enabled overseas later this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I've not been such a big fan of Elon's twits (the doge nonsense) recently but I can't fault his tweets in the past hour -> https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1374617643446063105?s=20

Any revenue received in btc will stay in btc and not be converted into usd/eur, etc. Ability to pay in btc enabled in the US right now - and to be enabled overseas later this year.

How does this work when it comes to tax!

Also the NFT market is starting to take off big time.

When you read it in the Irish mirror say no more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Lorne Malvo

Guys is it safe to leave large deposits of fiat on an online exchange like Gemini for weeks at a time? Safe as any bank? Many thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Safe as any bank?
    Definitely not.

I wouldn't leave anything in an exchange I couldn't afford to lose and walk away from. I get it might be useful to have cash on the exchange if you wanted to pull the trigger on something immediately, though with the market at the moment surely there's a better option than to keep it in fiat...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Guys is it safe to leave large deposits of fiat on an online exchange like Gemini for weeks at a time? Safe as any bank? Many thanks

Safe? Can't comment on Gemini but it's definitely not best practice to leave anything on an exchange.

Safe as a bank? Hell no - no Deposit Guarantee Scheme for starers.

That said I've left 4 figures on Kraken for extended periods of time and I couldn't fault their security. But never advisable to leave jack **** on an exchange from a best practice POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I think his big mouth is the biggest threat to cryptocurrency at the moment. It's one of the few things I hate about crypto - his influence on it.

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Safe? Can't comment on Gemini but it's definitely not best practice to leave anything on an exchange.

Safe as a bank? Hell no - no Deposit Guarantee Scheme for starers.

That said I've left 4 figures on Kraken for extended periods of time and I couldn't fault their security. But never advisable to leave jack **** on an exchange from a best practice POV.

It's just on anticipating a dump in the market, I want to be ready; otherwise I would have to wait for the wire transfer to go through before I could buy. Surely it can't be that bad. They have a massive reputation to upkeep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sluggish price action tonight. Wonder if it is those options expiring on Friday and how much damage they can do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ETH is getting hammered tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Just a pod of whales slurping up the krill. It'll bounce back in no time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Just a pod of whales slurping up the krill. It'll bounce back in no time.

Indeed, already recovering somewhat and still nowhere close to the fall at the start of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭Jeff2

It's volatile so so catch the bottom like now and you're onto a good thing.

Thargor wrote: »
    Sluggish price action tonight. Wonder if it is those options expiring on Friday and how much damage they can do.

100% this causing it. Watch us pump in a weeks time.

Bought this mini dip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

It's just on anticipating a dump in the market, I want to be ready; otherwise I would have to wait for the wire transfer to go through before I could buy. Surely it can't be that bad. They have a massive reputation to upkeep...

Out of interest, what's your methodology for 'anticipating a dump'? Gemini are a very professional outfit from what I can see. But that's not the point. Things only have to go wrong once - and your funds are gone. That's it in a nutshell.

You could buy some USDC if you wanted and have that ready to go - but custody it yourself.

Out of interest, what's your methodology for 'anticipating a dump'? Gemini are a very professional outfit from what I can see. But that's not the point. Things only have to go wrong once - and your funds are gone. That's it in a nutshell.

You could buy some USDC if you wanted and have that ready to go - but custody it yourself.
    Sorry I'm new to this so I don't really follow your jargon. I've researched and haven't found any stories of fiat disappearing off the exchange to date...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sorry I'm new to this so I don't really follow your jargon. I've researched and haven't found any stories of fiat disappearing off the exchange to date...

Go for it if you feel it's safe. Gemini is one of the more reputable exchanges. But as mentioned above, a stable coin might be a better option.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Go for it if you feel it's safe. Gemini is one of the more reputable exchanges. But as mentioned above, a stable coin might be a better option.

Can that be bought on an exchange suchlike Gemini and stored in a wallet? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Can that be bought on an exchange suchlike Gemini and stored in a wallet? Thanks

Yes, they can be bought on an exchange and keys stored in a wallet. I think most of the stable coins (USDT, GUSD (Gemini USD) etc) are ERC-20 tokens so the fees for moving funds will be high right now.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Any revenue received in btc will stay in btc and not be converted into usd/eur, etc.
    What does staying in BTC have to do with anything?
    I couldn’t care what Elon does with his revenue tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    What does staying in BTC have to do with anything?
    I couldn’t care what Elon does with his revenue tbh.

I guess the intention is to highlight increasing mainstream adoption of BTC in general and faith in its ability to stay stable or appreciate further vs USD.

I guess the intention is to highlight increasing mainstream adoption of BTC in general and faith in its ability to stay stable or appreciate further vs USD.

I fully get the idea of increasing awareness of BTC as a means of purchasing high value items.
    But Tesla has a $30b revenue. I don’t think a tiny portion in BTC shows amazing faith in its stability.
    They could hold a fraction in unopened packets of tayto, and they’d swing alright out if it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mellor wrote: »
    I fully get the idea of increasing awareness of BTC as a means of purchasing high value items.
    But Tesla has a $30b revenue. I don’t think a tiny portion in BTC shows amazing faith in its stability.
    They could hold a fraction in unopened packets of tayto, and they’d swing alright out if it.

Oh absolutely, and you understand that, but how many Joe Soaps do reckon think beyond "****ing hell, Tesla are huge and they take bitcoin! Elon's a genius and he loves bitcoin!"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

How does that even work - buying a Tesla with BTC.

My neighbour is told he'll be waiting a year.
    Does he pay (eg) 1 BTC now, or 1 BTC (possibly worth a lot more/less) in 12 months?

Or does he pay 50k worth of BTC now, or 50k worth in a year?
    In which case - what's the point of charging in BTC at all other than marketing?

You'd have to assume the price of the car doesn't fluctuate as wildly as the currency.

Dades wrote: »
    How does that even work - buying a Tesla with BTC.

My neighbour is told he'll be waiting a year.
    Does he pay (eg) 1 BTC now, or 1 BTC (possibly worth a lot more/less) in 12 months?

Or does he pay 50k worth of BTC now, or 50k worth in a year?
    In which case - what's the point of charging in BTC at all other than marketing?

You'd have to assume the price of the car doesn't fluctuate as wildly as the currency.

$100 deposit. Pay just prior to collection.

If I wanted a Tesla now, I’d keep my Bitcoin. But buy another 1 BTC to give to Tesla for my car. 1 less BTC available for others to buy if Elon is going to hodl.

Another 450,000 Satoshis are mine at $50,600. Foresee a dip to 48k maybe. Can’t see us going much lower.

Once options expire tomorrow we’ll begin to pump again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

$100 deposit. Pay just prior to collection.

If I wanted a Tesla now, I’d keep my Bitcoin. But buy another 1 BTC to give to Tesla for my car. 1 less BTC available for others to buy if Elon is going to hodl.

I presume you would be going through the buying and spending of that bitcoin just for the fun aspect and to contribute to the positive vibe and data, which of course wouldn't hurt your wallet? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The alts bleed hard during minor btc drops

Going to set some ambitious buy limits on alts incase btc drops to 48k.

• Advertisement

Another 450,000 Satoshis are mine at $50,600. Foresee a dip to 48k maybe. Can’t see us going much lower.

It was 43k a month ago. I don’t think a 30 day price return is ever out of the question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement