Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Apparently there is an Analyst who correctly predicted Bitcoins low point and the current high. The analyst made further predictions.
    https://cryptopotato.com/the-analyst-who-predicted-bitcoins-bottom-current-price-says-16k-in-october/

I didn't think much of the article until Traders that I follow on Twitter started tweeting on it.

The future predictions are in the screenshot.

They say his 2020 predictions are a bit extreme but I wouldn't think so considering many analysts expect >$100k in 2021, I can't imagine the movement from $80k to $100k would be too quick also so, meaning it'd gradually hit that in 2021. Going to be good craic seeing all of these predictions compared with reality later in the year either way. Really hoping for a nice dip in the meantime again of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Apparently there is an Analyst who correctly predicted Bitcoins low point and the current high. The analyst made further predictions.
    https://cryptopotato.com/the-analyst-who-predicted-bitcoins-bottom-current-price-says-16k-in-october/

I didn't think much of the article until Traders that I follow on Twitter started tweeting on it.

Yup 4chan

According to "analysts" BTC will be everything from zero to one million by late this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Blueshoe wrote: »
    No I don't think so. Not while there is no regulation
    Ok but if you leave the regulation aside, do you see any aspects of crypto that are worthwhile? eg. non-confiscatable, borderless, secure, etc.
    Inflation and deflation are the cornerstone of fractional reserve banking and must be constantly fiddled with depending on how an economy is performing. You need to look into this a bit more.
    If you don't understand it you can't have an accurate opinion on it

This discussion gets touched on here and there the odd time. I guess it only would become relevant if a decentralised crypto made a very very significant impact - so not one for the short term (if ever).

I'm not forming a hardcore view on it as I don't feel I know enough about macro-economics to do so. Having said that, I don't understand how the roof has to cave in if we were to leave that system behind. Why do we have to have inflation/deflation? Who does that actually benefit? Why do we have to have societies where a large chunk of citizens are up to their eyeballs in debt?

Please suggest that there would be no growth but if we could get back to baseline and start over, I don't understand how everything has to be fueled in this way.

It's an interesting topic - would like to see more written about it.
    The market should be. Especially when there is USD and Euro involved . If people want to trade worthless buttons with each other that's fine but when real money is involved it needs regulation of it is ever to become mainstream.
    I agree with regulation on the centralised aspects - i.e. centralised crypto exchanges. However, regulation needs to be reasonable..and the latest suggested regulation form the U.S. and the europeans is not practical. (pseudo) anonymity and privacy are cornerstones of the Bitcoin protocol itself. If you make everyone in the ecosystem declare details about every single transaction on the network, that destroys what crypto is (aside from the fact that the exchanges won't be given accurate information anyway - and will have no way to verify what they're being told by clients as regards incoming and outgoing transactions on the blockchain.

Lol.

Go pay for your shopping or kids clothes with your tokens. See how that goes

And what do you intend to use to buy those tokens?

I take your point. It's one that's made quite often by those that don't hold up much faith in the notion of crypto. However, my take on it is that you have to put things in perspective. You can't just unpack a crypto out of the box and have it working as its own entire eco-system from the get go. That process is ongoing and will take years (and may be completed entirely successfully or otherwise - i'm open to either eventuality).

Thanks for expressing your opinion though. It's always good to hear a different perspective/contrarian view (not accompanied by a smart ass attitude as we've had here with a few others in the past).
    Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Also regarding QE, yeah it was controversial, has benefits/drawbacks (it's not black and white), but in retrospect most economists seem to agree that it was beneficial considering the circumstances
    The history books are not done with QE yet though. We've not been weaned off it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

"Can you provide an overview of the key factors involved in the housing crisis"

"The Jews.."

Go full retard then.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

WOW a 300% return by next February predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

It was mentioned on telegram that Cajutel announeced some Telecom partnership in West Africa. Im not sure which phone network, Vodafone and Telenor mentioned but this could be bull****

https://cajutel.io/

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/cajutel/

I got some marketing blurb about dent a while back, looks like the marketing paid off, its primed.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dent/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The fact that your traders are following the advice of some oddball in 4chan with a cartoon avatar is worrying. A more measured perspective on why the price of Bitcoin (and therefore all other coins) has improved is because the good guys at Tether are printing their magic money at a savage rate, and sending it to bucket shops like Binance where it is being used to inflate the price.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed

Follow that lad. Far more useful for seeing what is reallly going on.

The fact that your traders are following the advice of some oddball in 4chan with a cartoon avatar is worrying. A more measured perspective on why the price of Bitcoin (and therefore all other coins) has improved is because the good guys at Tether are printing their magic money at a savage rate, and sending it to bucket shops like Binance where it is being used to inflate the price.

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed

Follow that lad. Far more useful for seeing what is reallly going on.

Come on, this is as weak as the silly conspiracies that the crypto community entertain about banking/finance/economics

It's going up in price for a number of positive speculative reasons. On top of that in the long term there is that pending ETF decision, when/if that goes green, then there will be a serious spike

On the other hand, the market could take a turn, but Tether doesn't play such a major role - and if it were to blow up, the market will tank and another trading pair stablecoin will take over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

What hard wallet is everyone using currently ?

I'm staking my stellar using 50% on my Ledger Nano X and 50% on the Stellar Dex. The nano is really easy to use, I'd recommend if your buying to get it direct as when I researched it I found some horror stories of the device being registered to the reseller (ebay etc) who took ownership after it was sold and the end user losing their holdings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

170% now.

Interesting to note that money gram were in a spot of financial trouble before this buy in

XRP doesn’t seem to be moving much on the other hand, at least for now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Bob24 wrote: »
    XRP doesn’t seem to be moving much on the other hand, at least for now.

Might take a punt on it.
    Looks like money gram shares moved after hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Surely this is huge news for XRP yet barely a blip on the price??

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭JoeCole26

What hard wallet is everyone using currently ?

Interested in this also. Thanks

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Interested in this also. Thanks

The best known hardware wallets are those produced by Trezor and Ledger.

• Advertisement

Very meta.

What do you mesn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

What does that specifically have to do with crypto currency markets though?

What does it have to do with Eos or Vet or iota?

EOS definitely doesn't deserve to be in there, but that's by the by. Does somebody want network security and finality to the point where it costs them to use a busy blockchain? They pay for it.
    If somebody has no use for a chain, they shouldn't use or pay for it. Simple.

If they think they should use a private consortium blockchain (maybe they should) they can do that. With less security as the trade-off.

You seem to be coming from the angle whereby you imagine every crypto-bull is insisting a public blockchain must be used for absolutely everything. That's not necessary. Companies can test and decide whether or not it adds value to their workflow/cuts costs - if it doesn't they won't, if it does they will. Whether or not you think any given shítcoin has a value or not doesn't matter, it's up to the business using it to decide if it matters
    It wasn't a manipulation. It was a full-on rescue of the financial system, aka ourselves. If the system went into full meltdown (it came close enough), it was curtains, 1929 all over again, there were projections of 25%+ unemployment in the US, a catastrophic recession, "soup lines and shanty towns".. real disaster movie stuff. The only thing it would have achieved would have given the fickle public some old testament justice against the perceived arsonists
    Also regarding QE, yeah it was controversial, has benefits/drawbacks (it's not black and white), but in retrospect most economists seem to agree that it was beneficial considering the circumstances

I understand the motives and realise the crash would have been even more abysmal. The argument seems to be "too many would have been underwater". We're not out of the woods on that from what I can see. It keeps getting delayed, but until we find a way to pay off debt faster than we're printing it (we won't) it's an eventuality no matter what happens.
    QE has allowed people to put on a brave face and pretend that 2008 wasn't so bad but it's sowing the seeds of a larger disaster. I'm not even a Bitcoin geek, I don't think Bitcoin fixes the issue. It only cements a given value at a given time. I imagine if Bitcoin or any other coin became a standard all that would be done is the world's governments would say "Lads, we don't have the funds, but we're going to pretend we do so we can pay this debt back with magic money" and people would carry on like normal as if they weren't told directly that they were being robbed. Same as people happily using Tether while it's a fractional reserve, people are so dense that they're A-OK with being deluded.

Every economist's view of QE that I've read has portrayed it as an example of how to quickly bandage an economy but with no idea of how or when to rip the plaster off. It's delaying the inevitable and whenever it has to be ripped off things will be much worse than what should have been the fallout of the 2008 crash. Saddling all future generations with an ever-increasing unpayable debt isn't morally hazardous?

The outflow of this newly created money has certainly been manipulated. The wealth divide grows at a greater pace with every passing year, a greater proportion of the true magic-bean money flowing upwards instead of bolstering the base (the lowly plebes). We already know trickle-down doesn't work - people are selfish pricks - so why do we keep bailing the most selfish retards out? I don't see any long-term upside to removing negative risks for scumbag billionaires.
    What do you mesn

In a normal person's head it just means it's a wrapped BTC token so it can be transferred across the BinanceChain (like WBTC on Ethereum), but in Johnny's brain "ROFLCOPTERLMFAO they're making up a new shíttoken to represent another shíttoken, m3t4!!!"
    Analysing his thoughts on the subject is akin to analysing a wet fart.

Moneygram will use Ripples Xrapid
    https://www.ccn.com/altcoin-news/ripple-announces-game-changing-partnership-with-moneygram/2019/06/17/?__twitter_impression=true

This is Facebook Libra new Wallet/Website
    http://www.calibra.com

Ziliqa partners with xfers. Xfers has 500,000 users
    Xfers are linked to Stripe.
    Xfers is also the fiat ramp onto Binance Singapore
    https://www.finder.com.au/zilliqa-and-xfers-partner-to-explore-blockchain-payments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

So it's official, https://libra.org/en-US/

Here's the Whitepaper: https://libra.org/en-US/white-paper/#introduction and Press Release: https://newsroom.fb.com/news/2019/06/coming-in-2020-calibra/

As expected it's a Stablecoin backed by multiple low-risk assets, I think it will do very well because of the how it's marketed and the number of users FB has (I could see it having a big impact on the likes of Western Union for global transfers), a lot of traditional crypto people won't use it due to the centralised nature but all the naysayers/noobs here will ;)

It's live on testnet now and will launch in 2020 and be integrated with Whatsapp and Messenger.

Intro Video:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It's better than I'd imagined - it's a smart contract platform as well!

I'm not too worried about it affecting ETH given the centralised governance, but oh my holy fúck - why would anybody own EOS after today?
    If anybody wants a speedy centralised blockchain that's "good enough" for some use-cases and great for others, why would anybody choose Larimer's centralised collusion-friendly scamcoin over Libra?
    Hahahahahaha, this is great. Given this is crypto and this is awful news for them EOS will probably 10x

So it’s not decentralised, it isn’t private, they can archive off old data so it isn’t really immutable. Is it even a blockchain?

CZ gave AMA yesterday. The main points

Binance’s CEO ‘CZ’ Holds AMA

Binance chief executive and co-founder Changpeng Zhao – commonly referred to as ‘CZ’ – conducted his latest Periscope ask-me-anything (AMA) video livestream on Periscope at 3:00 am (UTC) Monday.

On the livestream – which has now garnered over 50,000 views – CZ covered many aspects of the fast-growing Binance behemoth. These included its upcoming margin trading product, Binance US, upcoming initial exchange offerings (IEOs), Binance DEX, and much more. Here are a couple of the key takeaways:

He reiterated that the Binance DEX didn’t block users from the US, the website Binance.org geoblocked them, the DEX itself can’t geoblock
    He hoped Binance US will be up and running within three months
    The next Binance IEO launchpad is expected on Thursday
    Launching Binance US is their priority and there is no ETA for the Argentina-based exchange

grindle wrote: »

I understand the motives and realise the crash would have been even more abysmal. The argument seems to be "too many would have been underwater". We're not out of the woods on that from what I can see. It keeps getting delayed, but until we find a way to pay off debt faster than we're printing it (we won't) it's an eventuality no matter what happens.
    QE has allowed people to put on a brave face and pretend that 2008 wasn't so bad but it's sowing the seeds of a larger disaster. I'm not even a Bitcoin geek, I don't think Bitcoin fixes the issue. It only cements a given value at a given time. I imagine if Bitcoin or any other coin became a standard all that would be done is the world's governments would say "Lads, we don't have the funds, but we're going to pretend we do so we can pay this debt back with magic money" and people would carry on like normal as if they weren't told directly that they were being robbed. Same as people happily using Tether while it's a fractional reserve, people are so dense that they're A-OK with being deluded.

There isn't a "rush" to repay debt instruments, they have fixed terms and these are constantly met. It's not like personal debt and many seem to get confused by having this mentality
    Every economist's view of QE that I've read has portrayed it as an example of how to quickly bandage an economy but with no idea of how or when to rip the plaster off. It's delaying the inevitable and whenever it has to be ripped off things will be much worse than what should have been the fallout of the 2008 crash. Saddling all future generations with an ever-increasing unpayable debt isn't morally hazardous?

2008 was a systemic crisis, we know the causes of it. Unless you live in Greece or similar there is little need to be worried about a sovereign debt crisis
    The outflow of this newly created money has certainly been manipulated. The wealth divide grows at a greater pace with every passing year, a greater proportion of the true magic-bean money flowing upwards instead of bolstering the base (the lowly plebes). We already know trickle-down doesn't work - people are selfish pricks - so why do we keep bailing the most selfish retards out? I don't see any long-term upside to removing negative risks for scumbag billionaires.

I don't know what you mean with all this. Regarding global finance, apart from isolated cases, we are in a far, far more robust position than we were in 2007. If something with the magnitude of the 2008 systemic crash hit us right now, it would have a much more diminished effect. Not to paint a picture of perfect calm, there are issues, potential recession, etc, but we aren't flying toward some doomsday as some seem to portray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

So it’s not decentralised, it isn’t private, they can archive off old data so it isn’t really immutable. Is it even a blockchain?

Founder members (<100) will do all the validating and run the nodes for the first ~5yrs.
    An important objective of the Libra Association is to move toward increasing decentralization over time. This decentralization ensures that there are low barriers to entry for both building on and using the network and improves the Libra ecosystem’s resilience over the long term. As discussed above, the association will develop a path toward permissionless governance and consensus on the Libra network. The association’s objective will be to start this transition within five years, and in so doing will gradually reduce the reliance on the Founding Members. In the same spirit, the association aspires to minimize the reliance on itself as the administrator of the Libra Reserve.

https://libra.org/en-US/white-paper/#the-libra-association

• Advertisement

Reading about Libra now - actually seems pretty decent, with a chance to target the "unbanked" around the world. Seems like it could act like an indirect version of Wepay or Alipay which are massive in Asia for covering all sorts of basic payments

If it takes off could also be of decent use in future imploding economies depending on accessibility

https://www.coindesk.com/facebook-launches-subsidiary-to-support-new-libra-crypto

Pretty much word for word the whitepaper of the stellar foundation, they did talk to Facebook last year so wonder if it's a hard fork of that project.

Second decent breakdown on FB coin from Coindesk here
    https://www.coindesk.com/theres-a-second-token-a-breakdown-of-facebooks-blockchain-economy

Might have a look at the whitepaper later

Looks like we can't invest in it, unless you're a Fortune 500 company. I reckon it will bring a lot of attention and exposure to crypto, could also speed up global digital asset/currency/crypto custody, all good for future crypto speculation

Here's an explainer on Facebook Libra/Calibra from the Indo. I presume Adrian Weckler wrote this but it isn't stated in the article.

https://m.independent.ie/business/technology/everything-you-need-to-know-about-facebooks-cryptocurrency-38229700.html

Binance Research have also reviewed Facebook Libra
    https://www.binance.com/amp/en/blog/347691965707137024/Binance-Research-Discusses-Libra-Facebooks-New-Crypto-Project?__twitter_impression=true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

BOOM

bye bye Bitcoin . .back to the pathetic pimps and drug dealers where you belong

Nobelium wrote: »
    BOOM

:D:D:D

Nice support just below $9k, reckon we will see $10k before the month is out.

BOOM

I never thought I'd be so intrigued and fascinated by the notion of a launch of a ****coin. There are still loads of ifs and buts but I think they will make a shed tonne of money if they can get some traction going.

And yet I'm not at all phased by your jibe...go figure...

The futures bright, the futures crypto.

Nice support just below $9k, reckon we will see $10k before the month is out.

I'm in two minds. It was long due a correction back down the way. Yet, with this facebook development and more fomo in play, i'm conflicted. I also believe that 10k would bring the fomo crowd in. I can never play the short game in crypto - only long term and perhaps that's why I'll go back to a longer term perspective.

• Advertisement

I'm in two minds. It was long due a correction back down the way. Yet, with this facebook development and more fomo in play, i'm conflicted. I also believe that 10k would bring the fomo crowd in. I can never play the short game in crypto - only long term and perhaps that's why I'll go back to a longer term perspective.

Long and strong myself, have never sold a single satoshi. I agree in that most are expecting a pull back, but that's when it usually doesn't happen, altho I'd still like one.

Also, thought this was interesting. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/18/rep-maxine-waters-facebook-should-stop-work-on-libra-cryptocurrency.html

Auntie Maxine :D

There's all manner of implications here. They won't be charging any transaction fees. Paypal and WU have had a great run of it - but it must be curtains for them now.

Just by holding the cash alone, they stand to make serious cash. Barclays reckon they will make $19 billion in 12 months. They could well afford to pay LibraCoin holders interest but apparently they wont at first because if they did, it would get classed as a security - what with the not fit for purpose U.S. securities laws.

Auntie Maxine could disrupt the party - but in reality, the likes of Facebook don't operate without consensus with the U.S. government behind the scenes. It'll probably go ahead with their blessing - and they'll share all that privacy data with them.
    This interview was recorded before today's whitepaper release. Notwithstanding that, it's well worth a listen. Caitlin Long is very credible in this space.

Can they get their $50 mil back now that BookFace will be doing remittance transfers for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

BOOM

I never thought I'd be so intrigued and fascinated by the notion of a launch of a ****coin. There are still loads of ifs and buts but I think they will make a shed tonne of money if they can get some traction going.

And yet I'm not at all phased by your jibe...go figure...

The futures bright, the futures crypto.

He's special if he's actually serious with that comment and not taking the piss, it's actually cringeworthy

https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-facebook-cryptocurrency-4688661-Jun2019/

This will tell a lot. I will guess 75% no by this evening (it's just gone up)

https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-facebook-cryptocurrency-4688661-Jun2019/

This will tell a lot. I will guess 75% no by this evening (it's just gone up)

I’m personally very wary of Silicon Valley and surveillance capitalism control over anything that might look like a global currency, so I have a very negative view of Libra.

However I don’t know how much credit I would give to people saying they won’t use it In a poll without even knowing exactly what it is or how it will be made available to (or forced upon) them.

Many people would say they don’t trust Facebook and yet are using at least one of their products between the Facebook app, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and Instagram.

So I wish they fail, but I fear they will succeed as they are starting with a huge head start due to their position in the Internet ecosystem and are experts at leveraging networking effects.

• Advertisement

I reckon 99% of people who say they won't use it, will if it does in fact take off. I can see Gen Y having a use for it, but none others really.

I reckon 99% of people who say they won't use it, will if it does in fact take off. I can see Gen Y having a use for it, but none others really.

I suppose the plan is to start with younger generations in developed countries and everyone in developing countries with lack of widespread banking services or stable currency, and then to force everybody else to adopt it due to peer pressure and the fact that some online services might only be purchase-able with Libra.

Plus Facebook already has all the older generations on WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger (depending on countries). Once they add the option to send Libra through these (and possibly ways to request funds from someone), I don’t think it will be hard to get parents to pay kids pocket money, sending funds to their child studying abroad, or grandparents sending a small gift to the grandchild to use this option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The rush for this space will be to become the crypto payment app people use, so that Facebook buy you up for a billion ala whatsapp.

Bank of England Governor Mark Carney on Facebook Libra
    https://www.coindesk.com/facebooks-libra-could-meet-highest-standards-in-regulation-boe-governor?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Binance CEO latest on Libra and also that BnB is now on KuCoin

Binance CEO latest on Libra

I’m not always fond of Zhao, but that is nicely put :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement