Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

grindle wrote: »
    Judging from what you say it sounds like you want to day-trade (like the friend).

You can make some 5-10% gains, hit some losses but still come out good. He sold ETH ~€170. Maybe he gets to buy on a dip again. Maybe ETH doubles or triples or quadruples again. Maybe more. And that's his opportunity lost.

If you feel "sure" of a project hitting certain target, then use low-value alts to gain more of that currency. Thinking in fiat is a terrible way to gain more of the crypto you think will surge, fiat pricing and crypto pricing is all over the place on a day-to-day basis.

That my problem, I am thinking in Fiat. Im judging everything by what its value in euros is.

Do you mean day trade in Low value alts in order to accumulate BTC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

That my problem, I am thinking in Fiat. Im judging everything by what its value in euros is.

Do you mean day trade in Low value alts in order to accumulate BTC.

Yes. Most trade for BTC. I trade for ETH, but same mindset. Allows me to trade large volumes of ****coins (shoutouts to RVN, GO, BAT and LINK) for much more. ETH while ETH's price is low so on some of those trades I've made a fiat loss (tax write-off) but earned much more ETH, which in my head is going up no matter what. Maybe I'm proven retarded long term, maybe I'm not. The majority of my trades allow me to take more bets/spread my risk and as long as I stay away from utter shítcoins I'm good.

Yes. Most trade for BTC. I trade for ETH, but same mindset. Allows me to trade large volumes of ****coins (shoutouts to RVN, GO, BAT and LINK) for much more. ETH while ETH's price is low so on some of those trades I've made a fiat loss (tax write-off) but earned much more ETH, which in my head is going up no matter what. Maybe I'm proven retarded long term, maybe I'm not. The majority of my trades allow me to take more bets/spread my risk and as long as I stay away from utter shítcoins I'm good.

Great stuff, thanks, I need to change my thinking.

I was trading Binances IEOs like Matic but because i was losing Euros I packed that in.

The problem now is BTC is rising so wont be able to acccumulate a whole lot, although it might be a good time to buy some cheap alts.

Btw whats your opinion on LTC. Im not sure whether to sell it for BTC or wait till closer to the Halving?

Btw whats your opinion on LTC. Im not sure whether to sell it for BTC or wait till closer to the Halving?

Zero opinion on LTC beyond it being a testnet for another coin I don't like, but sell a week or two before the LTC halvening at the latest. Too many eyes watching it and knowing what to expect. Maybe it has a huge bump that last week as the halvening gets shilled everywhere, but very risky at that stage.

If you don't care about ETH, XMR is the next best coin in the whole market (with the ultimate risk of capital loss because it's what everyone thought BTC was and therefore fairly rational for a dictatorship to outlaw). If you don't care for either of those you're into the realm of gambling shítcoins and that's up to you. I'm not gonna shill lesser shítcoins to you. You could miss out on opportunities if you followed my advice. Matic I thought would top out ~$30m, almost hit $90m.
    Bear market had an effect on my brain too but I wasn't putting my own money in unless I got into that Binance IEO, too much risk of it crashing despite it being supremely shillable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Ethereum quietly slipping past 300 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

Do you have to pay tax on crypto profits?

hernie wrote: »

Yep, CGT. You get to make €1270 tax free, after that you pay 33% on profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Any thoughts on slipping some profit into Matic? It's crashed hard and mainnet is due by the end of June...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Getting hammered one Harmony :(

• Advertisement

Zero opinion on LTC beyond it being a testnet for another coin I don't like, but sell a week or two before the LTC halvening at the latest. Too many eyes watching it and knowing what to expect. Maybe it has a huge bump that last week as the halvening gets shilled everywhere, but very risky at that stage.

If you don't care about ETH, XMR is the next best coin in the whole market (with the ultimate risk of capital loss because it's what everyone thought BTC was and therefore fairly rational for a dictatorship to outlaw). If you don't care for either of those you're into the realm of gambling shítcoins and that's up to you. I'm not gonna shill lesser shítcoins to you. You could miss out on opportunities if you followed my advice. Matic I thought would top out ~$30m, almost hit $90m.
    Bear market had an effect on my brain too but I wasn't putting my own money in unless I got into that Binance IEO, too much risk of it crashing despite it being supremely shillable.

Thanks again, I had thought of XMR and Zcash before but I decided against them because I thought they were associated more with the Darknet, although any coin can be used on it including BTC.

Initially I thought Eth would be a great option but there are many rivals to it now with newer tech and they don't rely on proof of work. I cant see how coins that require Mining can have a future with energy a global issue.

I only got into LTC a month ago as a gamble when I heard about the halving but It looks like I got in too late.

Can you explain why a Halving which reduces supply would result in the Coins price plummeting. I had thought that with the supply becoming scarcer that price would go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You pay tax on all income. I think the first 1200 or so can be tax free but should still be declared. Profit above that would be taxed at normal rates.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Any thoughts on slipping some profit into Matic? It's crashed hard and mainnet is due by the end of June...

A month ago it was moving up and down daily and you could make some money but its stagnant now. I started to lose money on it so got out of it.

Im far from an expert at this so dont just take my word for it. It could shoot up soon and you could miss out.

One thing I've found is that when I chase or search for a pump I lose.

Thanks again, I had thought of XMR and Zcash before but I decided against them because I thought they were associated more with the Darknet, although any coin can be used on it including BTC.

Initially I thought Eth would be a great option but there are many rivals to it now with newer tech and they don't rely on proof of work. I cant see how coins that require Mining can have a future with energy a global issue.

I only got into LTC a month ago as a gamble when I heard about the halving but It looks like I got in too late.

Can you explain why a Halving which reduces supply would result in the Coins price plummeting. I had thought that with the supply becoming scarcer that price would go up.

Eth will be moving from PoW & it'll likely still be the largest smart contract platform by the time ETH 2.0 is fully rolled out (2021-2022-ish). Check the transactions for any competing chains ("[****coinname] block explorer"). There's no comparison in terms of what's being used.

Long term a halving boosts price, but in crypto the hype for something like that generally gets shilled to bits well before it happens, there's a sell-off and then a consolidation period after that. YMMV

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You pay tax on all income. I think the first 1200 or so can be tax free but should still be declared. Profit above that would be taxed at normal rates.
    I'd be curious to see an anonymous poll of people who owned crypto during a tax year, to see what percentage declared any activity to the Revenue.

Eth will be moving from PoW & it'll likely still be the largest smart contract platform by the time ETH 2.0 is fully rolled out (2021-2022-ish). Check the transactions for any competing chains ("[****coinname] block explorer"). There's no comparison in terms of what's being used.

Long term a halving boosts price, but in crypto the hype for something like that generally gets shilled to bits well before it happens, there's a sell-off and then a consolidation period after that. YMMV

Given its widespread use why does it not attract the investors that BTC does. Surely big business see that it is more useful than BTC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Dades wrote: »
    I'd be curious to see an anonymous poll of people who owned crypto during a tax year, to see what percentage declared any activity to the Revenue.

I declared my profits for 2017 after disposing my BTC for alts. A huge mistake. Can I still declare losses for 2018?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

100% hodl rate i'd say 😀

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110536682

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Yep, CGT. You get to make €1270 tax free, after that you pay 33% on profit.

****ing joke, don't know if I'll ever be able to think about these without getting angry

Given its widespread use why does it not attract the investors that BTC does. Surely big business see that it is more useful than BTC.

Plenty of investors have heavy bags of ETH. It was a $15m cap ICO, it's not like the returns have been bad. It was $10 2.5 years ago.
    The vast majority of businesses piloting are either piloting using Ethereum or a private fork of it (so any article you read that mentions a blockchain solution, it's likely Ethereum because that company will want to hire/contract devs and devs are generally learning Solidity) but it needs to scale to become more useful on the public chain.
    Sharding will essentially divide the mainchain into hundreds of smaller chains allowing thousands of tx/s, but that's years out.

Bitcoin has a 10 year history of price discovery and for the average rando crypto=Bitcoin, so that's what they buy. I'm foolish for not owning it in terms of money-go-up but I don't like the Core team's carry-on or roadmap, so I avoid it.
    Arrival wrote: »
    ****ing joke, don't know if I'll ever be able to think about these without getting angry

Sher we're all mad for a ride, just not when it's the government lubing us up.

• Advertisement

Plenty of investors have heavy bags of ETH. It was a $15m cap ICO, it's not like the returns have been bad. It was $10 2.5 years ago.
    The vast majority of businesses piloting are either piloting using Ethereum or a private fork of it (so any article you read that mentions a blockchain solution, it's likely Ethereum because that company will want to hire/contract devs and devs are generally learning Solidity) but it needs to scale to become more useful on the public chain.
    Sharding will essentially divide the mainchain into hundreds of smaller chains allowing thousands of tx/s, but that's years out.

Bitcoin has a 10 year history of price discovery and for the average rando crypto=Bitcoin, so that's what they buy. I'm foolish for not owning it in terms of money-go-up but I don't like the Core team's carry-on or roadmap, so I avoid it.

With the risks a lot of us have taken with this, using our already taxed income, there really should be a special CGT rate established for crypto asset investments. There are many people making life changing money from this industry and it's thanks to them putting their neck out, this should be rewarded as they'll generate a lot more taxes than they ever would otherwise. Regardless of this, 33% is just a shameful rate anyway for any kind of ROI, who actually thought that was a good idea. A government should make investing an attractive thing for its people, instead we have people who wouldn't invest because of how much of a pain the taxing of returns are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

$13,000 on coinbase

13k...

This is Dec 2017 all over again

Why is Eth behind with Sharding compared to Zilliqa who are using it now.
    https://cryptoticker.io/en/zilliqas-sharding-work/

I watched their Zilliqa day live on YouTube and it was awful. Im just wondering how Vitalik can be behind these guys?

With the risks a lot of us have taken with this, using our already taxed income, there really should be a special CGT rate established for crypto asset investments. There are many people making life changing money from this industry and it's thanks to them putting their neck out, this should be rewarded as they'll generate a lot more taxes than they ever would otherwise. Regardless of this, 33% is just a shameful rate anyway for any kind of ROI, who actually thought that was a good idea. A government should make investing an attractive thing for its people, instead we have people who wouldn't invest because of how much of a pain the taxing of returns are.

What are you talking about? It's an income stream. Why shouldn't you pay tax on it? If I do a locum shift, I still have to pay tax at a higher rate than 33%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

What are you talking about? It's an income stream. Why shouldn't you pay tax on it? If I do a locum shift, I still have to pay tax at a higher rate than 33%

@Arrival: You can offset your losses against your earnings. Stick around long enough and dabble enough in crypto and you will have helpings of each!

The other thing to bear in mind that paper gains remain paper gains. They don't become crystalised until you cash out. This is proving to be a very steep surge. I'm not sure if that's for the best (although right now, I'm not complaining).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

$13,500, the rise is steeper than late 2017 - has to be a serious "pop" soon

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Yea, 16 days to crash and burn last time. This will be all history 2.0 next week... curious to see what will differ, set your stop losses, this will fall in 3 seconds.

• Advertisement

Could see $15k today at this rate ha

Moving way too fast the dump will be enormous.

Dohnjoe wrote: »

And yet there hasn't been much in the way of retail fomo...

Aren't we hitting major resistance and Fib. retracement level round about now?

And yet there hasn't been much in the way of retail fomo...

Aren't we hitting major resistance and Fib. retracement level round about now?

13.5/13.6 next resistance but even at that it’s less than $10k was

13.5/13.6 next resistance but even at that it’s less than $10k was

Well, there's resistance as one thing...but there's also a fib. retracement level there....but then, with this past while, any TA trading indicators seem to be out the window...

Why is Eth behind with Sharding compared to Zilliqa who are using it now.
    https://cryptoticker.io/en/zilliqas-sharding-work/

I watched their Zilliqa day live on YouTube and it was awful. Im just wondering how Vitalik can be behind these guys?

They released at different times - bootstrapping the network by mining made sense for ETH at the time. Now they have a live network and have had to figure out how to build 2.0 and migrate transactions without causing version 1 to be susceptible to attacks.

ZIL doesn't have that albatross and is implementing a less difficult/more easily scaled form of sharding.
    If both networks were the same size then Ethereum's implementation would probably have higher latency but more security. As it stands it looks like it'll be much more well-distributed as a network so latency difference will be cancelled out by the sheer volume of nodes waiting for transactions. ZIL's blockchain would be slightly more expensive for node operators to maintain over time if transaction throughput was equal as every node has a complete copy of the chain.
    Vitalik is helpful to pretty much any team that furthers the ecosystem and has a boner for any novel ideas or implementations.
    Best not to get into the thinking that only one will win and the rest get wasted. They have different mindsets and trade-offs. There will be a lot of room for everybody, but one is likely to dominate and act as the most secure base layer which all others interact with.

I think he's more annoyed about how high CGT is here - we're one of the highest rates in the world. People shouldn't be happy about getting fúcked with tax by people who tend to spend it like a busload of retarded kids brought to Smyths.
    Dohnjoe wrote: »

3Xnw7pv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

RoboKlopp wrote: »

Alt coins for more of a bull then.

Which makes me believe this will not be a pump and dump for BTC.

Lord above, can you point out in my posts where I said anything about not paying tax on this because I can't find it? Probably because I didn't and you're rattling off here from nothing. I'm talking about the rate of CGT, 33% is one of the highest rates in Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

vargoo wrote: »
    Yea, 16 days to crash and burn last time. This will be all history 2.0 next week... curious to see what will differ, set your stop losses, this will fall in 3 seconds.

Reading up on how to do it lol. Fml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

$30,000 is more likely than $3,000 by year end.

Any predictions for high BTc will go before correction and where will it retrace to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Any predictions for high BTc will go before correction and where will it retrace to

Iv made countless crypto predictions. All were wrong or I lost patience so not from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Get yer satoshi one euro each.. come and get em..

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Get yer satoshi one euro each.. come and get em..

Once can dream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Didn't johnnyflash not provide us with some excellent technical analysis on this thread before? I wonder is he still around as I'd like to hear his views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

The market cap has tripled in the last 6 months and we are higher than we were this time last year.

There is a correction due but once the main news start picking up again you'll have people that are burned in dec 17/jan 18 coming back for more I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm not going to alter my HODL strategy until after I have emigrated. Then I might think of cashing out, CGT free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Didn't johnnyflash not provide us with some excellent technical analysis on this thread before? I wonder is he still around as I'd like to hear his views.

Yes he did this morning under his Pintman lost Paddy account!

cnocbui wrote: »

I'm not going to alter my HODL strategy until after I have emigrated. Then I might think of cashing out, CGT free.

This is something I'd actually consider if this does go where we're hoping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Is NXT much use?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement