Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

hernie wrote: »
    What if you didn't convert back to euro (fiat) and just bought things with the crypto currency?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Arrival wrote: »
    God above you need to get your emotions in check if you think holding through this is tough lmao, lots of us held from the end of 2017/early 2018 as far as 80% down. And when it was at or near the bottom what do you think we did? Bought more, because as the saying goes you should be greedy when others are fearful! You're either getting into this with conviction with the hopes to get richer than you ever would have otherwise or you're not. Don't put in more than you're actually comfortable losing and none of these dips and crashes will bother you

And the only people who got 'wiped out' in 2018 are the idiots who realised their losses by selling without a plan to buy back in at a lower price point
    You f*cked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

What if you didn't convert back to euro (fiat) and just bought things with the crypto currency?

There was a thread for an entire year hear about that entire subject,look it up its handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

vargoo wrote: »
    Arrival wrote: »
    God above you need to get your emotions in check if you think holding through this is tough lmao, lots of us held from the end of 2017/early 2018 as far as 80% down. And when it was at or near the bottom what do you think we did? Bought more, because as the saying goes you should be greedy when others are fearful! You're either getting into this with conviction with the hopes to get richer than you ever would have otherwise or you're not. Don't put in more than you're actually comfortable losing and none of these dips and crashes will bother you

And the only people who got 'wiped out' in 2018 are the idiots who realised their losses by selling without a plan to buy back in at a lower price point
    You f*cked up.

How so?

Done.

Bit soon it seems oops.

Not buying again now unless we either get down to 60% retracement of about 7k, or get back above 14k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The correction started when someone dumped 1800 BTC on one go. Exchanges also went down due to volume.

I have a thought in the back of my head that it was a co ordinated cash grab though.

I will stay in tether for now as I feel more dumping will occur in the short term.

(Watch it hit new ath because I'm in tether!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

On the bright side at least harmony is green again. Still needs a fair jump to get back to where I bought in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Blueshoe wrote: »
    (Watch it hit new ath because I'm in tether!)
    I also got out at that dump - although it was a **** show (the exchange not getting the order processed ...those extra couple of minutes cost me).

Of course it can go either way. It could go exponentially up the way right now. However, everyone has to play this in their own way and to fit/suit their own circumstances. I was fortunate enough to have built up a wedge of profit and I wasn't prepared to let go of it whilst gambling on a moonshot.

Might have another go - but for me, it had risen too quickly - needs to pair back a few grand.

• Advertisement

Why would a whale dump to make profits, when it dumps the price of the rest of their holding and therefore reduces their entire net worth ?

Why would a whale dump to make profits, when it dumps the price of the rest of their holding and therefore reduces their entire net worth ?

Well, I have no experience with it but I'd imagine it must be very easy for them to make money in this market. They dumped - and had sold all in the space of 10 minutes or so. I'm sure they bought back some immediately afterwards also - and with that, they've instantly made money.

Us peasants react much slower and suffer the lower price.

Because they can then buy more when the price goes down even further

Well, I have no experience with it but I'd imagine it must be very easy for them to make money in this market. They dumped - and had sold all in the space of 10 minutes or so. I'm sure they bought back some immediately afterwards also - and with that, they've instantly made money.

Us peasants react much slower and suffer the lower price.

I understand that much but more confused as to why they would spook the market. Even buying back for 10% less after a few minutes, their entire holding is now 20% than it was yesterday. We will never know I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I understand that much but more confused as to why they would spook the market. Even buying back for 10% less after a few minutes, their entire holding is now 20% than it was yesterday. We will never know I suppose.

They may have bought large amounts when it was cheaper which triggers a price rise. People buy in and a bit of buzz is created. More buy in and the price rises. The whale sets his sell order. 1800 BTC was sold in one go yesterday. And the price then drops quickly. Triggers more to sell while the whale has escaped with a giant chunk of profit.

Hundreds of BTC worth bought and sold at a time.

Reload and start again

I wish I was more trading savvy but I don't have the insight. However, I'd wager they could have gone back in for a percentile - and traded it out again. Remember, after the dump, there was a recovery beyond $13,000.

It seems to me that they brute force of the holding does the heavy lifting for them. However, you can be sure these are savvy traders and have this down.

If you don't know who the fool at the table is, its you (and to those guys, we're all the fools they make $ off). That said, if I can get a scalp here and there, I'm happy with those scraps!

• Advertisement

Fair points.

The sooner whales holdings reduce the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You have to consider the CGT and set it aside as well.

Pain in the hole but that's what happens when a country allows itself to be ridden into infinity by a crowd of lecherous populist whorescum.

Fair points.

The sooner whales holdings reduce the better.

As the market cap of Bitcoin and crypto expands, then their ability to move the market reduces. However, that's going to be a long process over a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

As the market cap of Bitcoin and crypto expands, then their ability to move the market reduces. However, that's going to be a long process over a number of years.

We said this at 10bn cap, and even at several hundred bn cap, it hasn't abated

Everyone always blames "whales" or manipulation for drops, but when it goes up it's "natural" or "FOMO"

The market moves like a flock of birds, sometimes it takes nothing to make it go the opposite direction. And if it's been rising to nearly vertical we can expect that drop to be dramatic

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    We said this at 10bn cap, and even at several hundred bn cap, it hasn't abated

Everyone always blames "whales" or manipulation for drops, but when it goes up it's "natural" or "FOMO"

The market moves like a flock of birds, sometimes it takes nothing to make it go the opposite direction. And if it's been rising to nearly vertical we can expect that drop to be dramatic

Well, I wasn't 'blaming' anyone for anything. However, was there not a mass movement of a block of BTC yesterday? Maybe I was mistaken.

As regards the flock of birds, that's guaranteed in this market - probably more so than any other. ...as there's more retail involvement.

That said, an expansion of market cap to me seems like a good thing for volatility generally and this sort of thing also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Same.

I’m just nosey. 10k isn’t loose change. This is just a statement but ye must be very high net worth people to be able to drop this money easily

adam88 wrote: »
    I’m just nosey. 10k isn’t loose change. This is just a statement but ye must be very high net worth people to be able to drop this money easily

Alluding to the post in the other thread: they can buy partial fractions of coins. No need to drop €10k at a time.

Also: 2017 was only 2 years ago. Many here watched the money they put in grow by 100x (and beyond). It wouldn't be unusual for them to have an extra €10k if that is what they're spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Yesterday evening I had near 400 percent growth

Regrettably, it's a common misconception for those that are new to crypto. Bitcoin has eight places of decimal. You can buy a micro slice of it. There is no requirement to buy to the value of one complete coin.

Yesterday evening I had near 400 percent growth

I get that nearly every morning, you get used to it. Either piss before you go to sleep or get used to waking up that way.

Regrettably, it's a common misconception for those that are new to crypto. Bitcoin has eight places of decimal. You can buy a micro slice of it. There is no requirement to buy to the value of one complete coin.

I think this needs to be made more known, the few friends who have talked about crypto with me thought they had to be purchased in entirety.

We should start talking in Satoshis.

I think this needs to be made more known, the few friends who have talked about crypto with me thought they had to be purchased in entirety.

I thought this was just a sad meme. People think you have to buy a whole one?

Still?

grindle wrote: »

Still?

Unfortunately. Just as they think you have to buy a full share of apple or Amazon, not a half (which we know they are right about )

grindle wrote: »

Still?

For sure. This is a common issue. It would have been better if it was packaged/presented in satoshi's. It's misunderstood by folks that are just beginning to develop an interest. Have come across many instances where people feel its beyond them (as an option to purchase) due to the unit price of a complete Bitcoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,206 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

It's chilling out a bit now. If it holds need to wait 24 hours for the "green".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Ha, you can buy fractions of a coin. Id say I'll never have a full bitcoin

Up a grand in 5 hours, where else would you get the excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

For sure. This is a common issue. It would have been better if it was packaged/presented in satoshi's. It's misunderstood by folks that are just beginning to develop an interest. Have come across many instances where people feel its beyond them (as an option to purchase) due to the unit price of a complete Bitcoin.

I know what you mean and I agree it does create confusion, but I still feel Bitcoin is a more practical unit of measure.

1 Sataoshi is worth 0.0001 USD (ie a hundredth of a cent). With so many zeros after the decimal point, I don’t think the actual value would print correctly with the average person. Maybe if the the day comes whereby a Satoshi is worth a cent (million dollar bitcoin) it would start to be more appropriate to use Satoshi as a primary unit, but IMO right now is too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Off topic but I thought I'd post this quick question as many users are on this thread over the last few days.

Lads what portfolio app do you use to keep track of your Exchange accounts and trades.

I've been using Coinmarket Caps new app but Its not very accurate with current price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Off topic but I thought I'd post this quick question as many users are on this thread over the last few days.

Lads what portfolio app do you use to keep track of your Exchange accounts and trades.

I've been using Coinmarket Caps new app but Its not very accurate with current price.

I use blockfolio.

I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to buy BTC in coinbase but PTSB text verification system isnt working, I've tried 4 times and still no text in. I've checked 2FA with other services to see if it's my mobile provider but all came in fine, all the whole I've lost out as BTC is climbing again

I use blockfolio.

Thanks, Is it ok to trust these Apps with API keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

Looking to top up some of my portfolio given the small dump. Currently have Bitcoin, Eth, XRP and Chainlink and have about 1000 Euro to throw on something. XRP is tempting as ever but so little movement as of late. Throwing in all on Bitcoin possibly the safest?

sexmag wrote: »
    I've spent the last 45 minutes trying to buy BTC in coinbase but PTSB text verification system isnt working, I've tried 4 times and still no text in. I've checked 2FA with other services to see if it's my mobile provider but all came in fine, all the whole I've lost out as BTC is climbing again

Check with bank that verified by visa number is correct

• Advertisement

€10,243 on Coinbase.

$11,630

Relentless.

So we are back to where we were a whole 3 days ago. What a journey.

Annnddddd she's green on the daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Annnddddd she's green on the daily.

I'm bored/tired looking at it.

How soon are we back to 12k? Sunday evening maybe?

How soon are we back to 12k? Sunday evening maybe?

What currency? She just hit $12,000 20 minutes ago briefly.

What currency? She just hit $12,000 20 minutes ago briefly.

Euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Here we go again :D

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Tango One

Anyone heard of Dublin based exchanges bitsane, apparently it shut up shop and done a runner with everyone money.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-based-cryptocurrency-exchange-vanishes-16499710

Tango One wrote: »
    Anyone heard of Dublin based exchanges bitsane, apparently it shut up shop and done a runner with everyone money.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/dublin-based-cryptocurrency-exchange-vanishes-16499710

Lads are talking about this on the worried thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SauNewb

On the topic of losing everything on an exchange, is there a place in Dublin where you can buy a Ledger Nano S?

Or can you only buy them online?

SauNewb wrote: »
    On the topic of losing everything on an exchange, is there a place in Dublin where you can buy a Ledger Nano S?

Or can you only buy them online?

Only buy them from Ledger. Too risky otherwise

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement