Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

SauNewb wrote: »
    On the topic of losing everything on an exchange, is there a place in Dublin where you can buy a Ledger Nano S?

Or can you only buy them online?

Only buy them from Ledger. Too risky otherwise

+1

This is one thing you don’t want to take any chance with.

Also we were discussing this a few posts ago, but storing your own keys means more control but also a transfer of responsibility directly onto the user (as opposed to a third party) in terms of safe storage. So make sure you have a very safe way to store the recovery seed words (knowing that if anyone else sees those words they get instant access to your coins, and if you lose your copy of the words you have no way to recover your funds on another device when yours fails or gets stolen).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

SauNewb wrote: »
    On the topic of losing everything on an exchange, is there a place in Dublin where you can buy a Ledger Nano S?

Or can you only buy them online?

If you have a Samsung phone that can run Secure Folder, you could use that and save yourself the expense.

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you have a Samsung phone that can run Secure Folder, you could use that and save yourself the expense.

It is not the same thing as a Ledger device though. The Ledger (or other equivalent brands) has 2 chips, including a Secure Enclave which generates/stores the keys and does the signing, and is physically never exposed to the Internet (the keys never leave that enclave and are of course never transmitted to the other chip or to the computer/smartphone paired to the Ledger).

As far as I know Samsung secure folders are just regular encrypted folders which are not stored in a Secure Enclave and can potentially be accessed from the internet. This would leave your keys potentially exposed to hacking.

Bob24 wrote: »
    It is not the same thing as a Ledger device though. The Ledger (or other equivalent brands) has 2 processors, including a Secure Enclave which stores the keys and does the signing, and is never exposing any data to the Internet.

As far as I know Samsung secure folders are just regular encrypted folders which are not stored in a Secure Enclave and can potentially be accessed from the internet.

Nope. Secure Enclave is Apple's marketing hype for the TrustZone technology ARM designed into ARM processors many years ago. Samsung leveraged the tech in their Exynos processors to come up with a complete security system they called Knox, which proved to be secure enough that the NSA Approved it's use with certain categories of US government Classified material.

A few years ago, either Trezor or Ledger had their software available to run under Knox to provide tha same capabilities as their own hardware wallets. The Secure Folder can have internet access if you set it up to have it, but it's intrinsically not a malware friendly environment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Only buy them from Ledger. Too risky otherwise

I have one at home. Opened the box and looked at it once. Never used it. I probably should

cnocbui wrote: »
    Nope. Secure Enclave is Apple's marketing hype for the TrustZone technology ARM designed into ARM processors many years ago. Samsung leveraged the tech in their Exynos processors to come up with a complete security system they called Knox, which proved to be secure enough that the NSA Approved it's use with certain categories of US government Classified material.

A few years ago, either Trezor or Ledger had their software available to run under Knox to provide tha same capabilities as their own hardware wallets. The Secure Folder can have internet access if you set it up to have it, but it's intrinsically not a malware friendly environment.

Let’s call it secure element rather than secure enclave if the terminology causes confusion with Apple.

Fact is they have a separate chip from which the keys never, ever, come out as the hardware simply doesn’t allow it.

If you sign a transaction using a Ledger device, the keys never leave the secure element.

If you sign a transaction on a Samsung phone, I presume unencrypted keys have to be loaded onto the phone’s main chip to do the maths ... and if the phone (which is exposed to the Internet) has been compromised those keys could be captured by a hacker. Anything here you disagree with?

So basically your key might be safe once it is in the Secure Folder, but before you can load it to the secure folder, any time you want to use it to sign a transaction on the phone, and anytime you simply want to display it on the screen of the phone, it will have to loaded unencrypted into the memory of a potentially compromised device.

To be clear, I’m not saying Samsung’s technology is bad, I’m just saying that it’s not the equivalent of a purpose built device which has the capability of doing all those things without having the key leave the secure area.

Green candles again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

I'm sure some of you know but for those who dont Link has been listed on Coinbase.

Also Steve Forbes has advised Zuck to back Libra with gold. He says it could replace the dollar.
    https://cointelegraph.com/news/steve-forbes-tells-zuckerberg-use-gold-to-back-libra-call-it-the-mark/amp?__twitter_impression=true

+
    EU is bypassing sanctions on Iran by creating a special payments/transaction vehicle that allows companies trade with Iran without having to use Swift.

Commentators saying major implications for US dollar.
    This would surely drive Euro and BTC value up.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-28/trump-unleash-hell-europe-after-eu-says-spv-circumvent-swift-and-iran-sanctions-now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I'm sure some of you know but for those who dont Link has been listed on Coinbase.

Also Steve Forbes has advised Zuck to back Libra with gold. He says it could replace the dollar.
    https://cointelegraph.com/news/steve-forbes-tells-zuckerberg-use-gold-to-back-libra-call-it-the-mark/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Possibly the stupidest question I'll ever ask but if I dont I'll never know,other than a stop gap for other coins on a down swing,how does one make money on a stable coin if it was to replace the dollar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

sexmag wrote: »
    How does one make money on a stable coin if it was to replace the dollar?

Validating nodes will be earning interest from however much fiat gets sponged into their system. Apart from that, swing trading like it's Forex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Saw link recommended yesterday but it had already run so I skipped it. Up another 25% since then.

Will try not to fomo in as I know nothing about it.

Saw link recommended yesterday but it had already run so I skipped it. Up another 25% since then.

Google "Link and Google":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Rare earth metal, well actually not that rare at all.

https://www.newsbtc.com/2019/06/29/nasa-asteroid-gold-bitcoin-space/

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Chain link added to coin base.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Chain link added to coin base.

Thoughts?

After a great pump so expect a dump.

Couldn't resist, in at $4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Couldn't resist, in at $4

Kind of risky buying at its all time high after such a massive pump but hopefully it can run some more. I'm up over 1,200% on my small Link holdings and I won't be buying more at current prices.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Kind of risky buying at its all time high after such a massive pump but hopefully it can run some more. I'm up over 1,200% on my small Link holdings and I won't be buying more at current prices.

Only a bit of play money!

• Advertisement

If anyone would like me to cause a drop in any other coin just hit me up.

I think the Euro is uncomfortably high. Do you think you could perhaps give it a downward nudge? Many thanks, much appreciated.

If anyone would like me to cause a drop in any other coin just hit me up.

If you could buy some vechain I would appreciate it. Swapped to bitcoin the day before vechain made an announcement of a partnership with Walmart China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Blueshoe wrote: »

Like every. single. technical. analysis...

"We're either going to go up, or we're going to go down"

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Dohnjoe wrote: »

Yea, ain't no one predicting sh1t except the whales.

• Advertisement

Anyone in and around Dublin looking for a job ?

https://ie.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=94ddc4484c58049d&from=serp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

More of an analysis and gives a few reasons why the chart may go either way. Gives reasons for both.
    Gives timeframes to look out for. That kind of thing. Volumes and past trends. Short and intra term trading timeframes.

It's a trading educational channel not somebody claiming to predict the charts. I like it because it points out different points in the charts on the various timeframes. Helps me understand reading the charts.
    No predictions

It's not "I think it will go up. Buy now" kind of crap.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    More of an analysis and gives a few reasons why the chart may go either way. Gives reasons for both.
    Gives timeframes to look out for. That kind of thing. Volumes and past trends. Short and intra term trading timeframes.

It's a trading educational channel not somebody claiming to predict the charts. I like it because it points out different points in the charts on the various timeframes. Helps me understand reading the charts.
    No predictions

It's not "I think it will go up. Buy now" kind of crap.

Yeah but the whole point of TA is not to examine what has happened. It's to examine what has happened and make a prediction based on that. Any 5 year old could tell you with absolute certainty that it will go up or it will go down.

Yeah but the whole point of TA is not to examine what has happened. It's to examine what has happened and make a prediction based on that. Any 5 year old could tell you with absolute certainty that it will go up or it will go down.

If you don't like it then that's fair enough but you can't criticize it if you haven't seen it. Again it's more of an educational channel not a prediction channel.

Education on how to read the charts. Why things happen, reasoning for what might happen next both ways. Different indicators etc

It doesn't matter anyways.

• Advertisement

There's a very important distinction to be made here. TA is not about making 'predictions'. It's an interpretation based on possibilities and probabilities.

You might think well what's the point then - but if you can work on the basis of decisions that at least have a percentile better probability, then you're already ahead.

The other thing is that there's also an element of self fulfilling prophecy to it. There are quite a lot of people approaching things on a TA basis. So when we hit a Fibonacci retracement level or what not, there's a better chance it will retrace simply because people are following this stuff. The same with bot trading - these things are programmed in line with that stuff.

I don't have a full understanding of TA but I respect that it has something to add to the party. However, if anyone ever expects this to produce 'predictions', then naturally they're going to be disappointed.

Otherwise, think about it - if something could simply give us clear predictions, then there would be little to speculate about.

I keep an eye on the fundamental stuff but that too is flawed what with fake news, etc.

There's a very important distinction to be made here. TA is not about making 'predictions'. It's an interpretation based on possibilities and probabilities.

You might think well what's the point then - but if you can work on the basis of decisions that at least have a percentile better probability, then you're already ahead.

The other thing is that there's also an element of self fulfilling prophecy to it. There are quite a lot of people approaching things on a TA basis. So when we hit a Fibonacci retracement level or what not, there's a better chance it will retrace simply because people are following this stuff. The same with bot trading - these things are programmed in line with that stuff.

I don't have a full understanding of TA but I respect that it has something to add to the party. However, if anyone ever expects this to produce 'predictions', then naturally they're going to be disappointed.

Otherwise, think about it - if something could simply give us clear predictions, then there would be little to speculate about.

I keep an eye on the fundamental stuff but that too is flawed what with fake news, etc.

Yup, I agree and am aware of probability, but these types of Youtubers are sitting there waffling on about all this stuff, when it's quite clear they really don't have a notion what's going to happen next

Just about anyone flipping a coin in a bull market (last 6 months) can make money on aggregate

Summer sale now on

Summer sale now on

I'm more of a 30-40% off type of guy :D

(but we're getting there).

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Might never go up again.

vargoo wrote: »
    Might never go up again.

Might never go up again, might never make it down to the price point I'm interested in buying back in at. This is completely perilous. That's the nature of the beast.

One thing I did decide when I sold - was that I was prepared to accept the fact that it could go on a moonshot immediately afterwards. Crypto has been good to me. Any gains at this point is bonus territory and I'll sooner take 100% profit and miss out on the moonshot.

But it's all relative to peoples own circumstances at a given time. As I was selling a friend of mine that has made wild money on crypto was buying :-)
    But his circumstances are different.

Might never go up again, might never make it down to the price point I'm interested in buying back in at. This is completely perilous. That's the nature of the beast.

One thing I did decide when I sold - was that I was prepared to accept the fact that it could go on a moonshot immediately afterwards/QUOTE]

This guy's vids are worth a look. Songs about the crypto phenomenon
    https://youtu.be/7wBg1lBKtyg

https://youtu.be/M3TzVgGyBFs

Yup, I agree and am aware of probability, but these types of Youtubers are sitting there waffling on about all this stuff, when it's quite clear they really don't have a notion what's going to happen next

Just about anyone flipping a coin in a bull market (last 6 months) can make money on aggregate

I think that every single form of media in crypto-world has to be taken with a large helping of salt or at best, considered a possibility (as in one of many).

That said, I think - from my limited understanding of TA - that it can bring something (as in a percentile of difference) to the party. Fundamental analysis is the same sh1t show with fake news, etc.

You lay it all out and make what you will of it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

I know we all have our favourite ALTs that we have our money backing but at this stage im considering a separate option of throwing a 10er on the each of the top 20 and seeing what net I get on that over the next few months.

I remember reading at one point if you did that in September 2017 you would gained around 2.5 to 3k,might be possible to gain that amount in 6 months from now if the bulls keeps pushing

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/c7toi9/what_if_you_bought_and_held_1000_worth_of_the_top/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Touching on something similar I was talking about

I'm not for one second suggesting you're on the wrong track. The only thing I'd suggest to be mindful of - is that we are not in Sept. 2017 anymore. As of the last couple of days, BTC has cooled. At some stage (whether that's days or weeks ...months? ) it will probably go back up the way. However, has the game changed up or will it work in exactly the same way? i.e. a transfer from BTC into alts OR have people become a bit more discerning in terms of which alts they'd be prepared to stick cash into?

• Advertisement

However, has the game changed up or will it work in exactly the same way? i.e. a transfer from BTC into alts OR have people become a bit more discerning in terms of which alts they'd be prepared to stick cash into?

Of course no one knows for sure, but if I had to pick a side I’d say we are moving towards the second option. Especially if a larger part of the market is driven by institutional money - which won’t go into dogecoin just because it has a cool name an everybody talks about it on Twitter/Telegram.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The canny businessmen at Tether printed another 100 million dollars just over two hours ago. That’s almost 2.2 billion dollars in Tether tokens they’ve created since the rally started.

Will you be closing your short position then?

The canny businessmen at Tether printed another 100 million dollars just over two hours ago. That’s almost 2.2 billion dollars in Tether tokens they’ve created since the rally started.

How does this affect BTC price?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

It just causes the volume to pump.

I keep an open mind but how do we know there isn't new USD coming into the market to account for this tether production?

He must have had $ left over from the short for a FT subscription. :D

Do the FT carry out the same reportage every time the <insert central bank of your choice> prints off money?

There ya go now

• Advertisement

There ya go now

Problem with the sales is you never know if you should wait for even further discount or buy now to secure the item before it’s gone ;-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement