Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Bob24 wrote: »
    Problem with the sales is you never know if you should wait for even further discount or buy now to secure the item before it’s gone ;-)

If it fits and you are going to keep the item for a long time then now is the time to go for it regardless of further reductions. IMO. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Hey hey hey!!!!!

Broke my own rules yet again, big BTC purchase today. Done for now, promise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Broke my own rules yet again, big BTC purchase today. Done for now, promise.

Could have been a great purchase. Time will tell.

I had a sell stop limit triggered. Turns out it was the bottom. Within 50 USD of it. Not good

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Could have been a great purchase. Time will tell.

I had a sell stop limit triggered. Turns out it was the bottom. Within 50 USD of it. Not good

Unlucky, it happens.

Stick in a buy order for similar or just above, never know.

Going to focus on some ETH accumulation from next month onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Unlucky, it happens.

Stick in a buy order for similar or just above, never know.

Going to focus on some ETH accumulation from next month onwards.

Why?
    Eth hasn't been seeing major gains (unfortunately)

Why?
    Eth hasn't been seeing major gains (unfortunately)

That's why really!

Also like the Buterin fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

That's why really!

He's a really weird and creepy looking guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I'd sooner sit down and have a pint with Vitalik...far less creepy (and aside from the fact you'd only have to buy him the one pint). :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

That's why really!

What relevance does that have to anything? You still point out people's physical appearances like this, how old are you? I thought you were probably some 50+ year old but if you still do this at that age it's quite sad if you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Looks like $10000 might be acting as a psychological support now. Price dipped below it very briefly before a strong rebound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Anyone in for the Binance ICO tomorrow morning? I've made a nice few bob from the last few...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Looks like $10000 might be acting as a psychological support now. Price dipped below it very briefly before a strong rebound.

Come out of it with that 10 15 crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Truckermal wrote: »
    Anyone in for the Binance ICO tomorrow morning? I've made a nice few bob from the last few...

Tried to get in, had 2 tickets but didn’t win a spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Tether have printed 200 million dollars in the past 36 hours. That’s what’s causing the price increase. It’s actually weird that people either don’t see this, or refuse to believe it. It’s fraud on an extraordinary scale.

Tether have printed 200 million dollars in the past 36 hours. That’s what’s causing the price increase. It’s actually weird that people either don’t see this, or refuse to believe it. It’s fraud on an extraordinary scale.

It's genius. How else would we keep up with the USD and other world currencies being printed every year.

I can see the inflow of Tethers alright and I also have my doubts about Tether.

Now having said that you can’t ignore the other side of the story: the CEO of Kraken recently stated that whenever the supply of Tether increases, they also tend to see a similar inflow of US dollar deposits on Kraken (meaning that real people/institutions are actually injecting real cash in the crypto space). So aside from calling him a liar, it can’t be discarded that Tether simply is a (possibly flawed) real-time and public measurement of cash flow into crypto.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Tried to get in, had 2 tickets but didn’t win a spot.

Same here even had over 400 BNB so going to have my finger on the button at 10am tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Where do you see that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yah it's almost like a private bank printing money and then loaning 5 times that amount to people even though it doesn't exist. But that's totally not a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It's kind of amazing that Facebucks are getting this much attention:

https://financialservices.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=404009

What happens if they don't back down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yup, it's what they do. What did everyone do when they found out it was only 74% backed? nothing, the market didn't implode, people just keep on "trusting" it, therefore it gets to keep it's value

And why not, it's a market resource - it's needed by the market. It's a tool. Just so happens to be a completely unregulated unaudited tool in an unregulated market, but that's the nature of crypto

grindle wrote: »
    It's kind of amazing that Facebucks are getting this much attention:

https://financialservices.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=404009

What happens if they don't back down?

A corporation is making it's own "currency" - regulators all over the world unsurprisingly have an issue with this. It needs to be thoroughly examined first. If Libra breaks any rules or runs foul of them, they could shut it down pretty easily, regulators have extraordinary powers (more so post-2008 crisis)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    A corporation is making it's own "currency" - regulators all over the world unsurprisingly have an issue with this. It needs to be thoroughly examined first. If Libra breaks any rules or runs foul of them, they could shut it down pretty easily, regulators have extraordinary powers (more so post-2008 crisis)

Oh I know the government would go for the jugular, just wondering if any of the Libra consortium would want to die on that hill. See how far they could push it.

It's funny to think about because Libra is little different from a lot of other shítcoins, it's just another federated chain with some consortium validating transaction, but having a huge userbase preinstalled seems to be what crosses it over the line.
    At what point are any of the other consortium or DPoS projects considered to be as dangerous?

grindle wrote: »
    Oh I know the government would go for the jugular, just wondering if any of the Libra consortium would want to die on that hill. See how far they could push it.

It's funny to think about because Libra is little different from a lot of other shítcoins, it's just another federated chain with some consortium validating transaction, but having a huge userbase preinstalled seems to be what crosses it over the line.
    At what point are any of the other consortium or DPoS projects considered to be as dangerous?

Yup, it's really to do with scale and public risk. If a serious amount of people start using this FB money (which is possible considering the large base) and FB go into default, then there is the risk of massive public exposure to a rapidly depreciating token. FB will need to prove it's rock solid and chock full of recourse to the powers-that-be

At the moment most cryptos are unsuitable as currencies, and the stable-coins that are suitable aren't really being taken up by the public/business, so the regulators aren't as concerned about them. Obviously if one does start to take off, it will be put under the same microscope

Aaannndddd back to $12k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Truckermal wrote: »
    Same here even had over 400 BNB so going to have my finger on the button at 10am tomorrow!

How much will you buy?

• Advertisement

Yah it's almost like a private bank printing money and then loaning 5 times that amount to people even though it doesn't exist. But that's totally not a scam.

It isn't a scam, it's fractional reserve banking, has been around for hundreds of years, and the world as you know it pretty much wouldn't exist without it. Money creation is critical to the economy and your standard of living. We know how it works and it's heavily regulated and moderated.

On the flipside we have unregulated unaudited private company Tether stating they had 1 for 1, when they didn't. That's something completely and utterly different.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    How much will you buy?

Stuck 2 BTC in it for literally 3 seconds!

Another 100,000,000 tether just printed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Another 100,000,000 tether just printed.

Cool. Where can someone see this?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Cool. Where can someone see this?

https://whale-alert.io/transaction/ethereum/f087afe3d55249be3200ebe80a71e4576cc6276d486d0d6cb572d83d080cacf7

Whale alert on twitter for real time notifications.

Volume has dropped off a cliff. Why so low all of a sudden?

• Advertisement

Volume has dropped off a cliff. Why so low all of a sudden?

Wall Street closed

Wall Street closed

lol!!!

Good man, Insta.

lol!!!

Good man, Insta.

Actually market-wise USD is closed, so volume is generally down on any market today

That said, it doesn't appear to have changed much
    https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/bitcoin/

28bn today, 29/30bn yesterday, how is that off a cliff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Johnny uses his very own special definition of 'cliff'.

4th of July, the USA is closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

No love for Etherum these days it seems..
    Whats that about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It isn't a scam, it's fractional reserve banking, has been around for hundreds of years, and the world as you know it pretty much wouldn't exist without it. Money creation is critical to the economy and your standard of living. We know how it works and it's heavily regulated and moderated.

On the flipside we have unregulated unaudited private company Tether stating they had 1 for 1, when they didn't. That's something completely and utterly different.

Both are playing with money that doesn't exist. Is the "heavy regulation" why we have paid out €60 billion in interest payments for imaginary money we never borrowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

cnocbui wrote: »
    Johnny uses his very own special definition of 'cliff'.

4th of July, the USA is closed.

Any opportunity to post negativity. There is no sector that doesn't have multiple facets to it. To report only the negative means ZERO credibility and calls into question the validity of those reports in any event (as in this case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Whats that about?

It's a good thing if anything since it's allowing everyone to accumulate as much as they'd like

Whats that about?

Up 24 quid in 2 days

Both are playing with money that doesn't exist.

And the money that does "exist", where does that come from?

Think.

Tether creates money out of thin air (or else by having all these mysterious customers who lodge hundreds of millions of dollars with them in real money so they can get these things called Tethers that). They take this 'real money' and use it to buy bitcoin on 'bucket shop' exchanges like Bitfinex and Binance. Price goes up. People buying.

Lads who believe in this sort of stuff then head to places like Coinbase and Kraken. In goes the small bit of real money into the market. The higher they buy the better, but there's an entire subculture developed around 'nocoiners', 'FOMO', cost average, and all the other sorts of financial mumbojumbo that leads men of below average intelligence to believe that they are onto something good.

This 'whizkids' can also make far more money by leveraging at up to 100 stakes at hopium dens like Bitmex and now Binance, and Bitfinex.

Price goes up, and in goes the money. Shorts are liquidated. Bitmex admits to running an insider 'market mover' desk to make this happen. Price goes up and up. Lads whip out the credit card to have a piece of the action. This could go to 60k by end of the year, right?

The criminals behind all these enterprises then sell the bitcoin they bought with fake money to people who put in real money to buy it. That's when the dump happens.

Your money = real money.
    Tether and 100x leverage trading on Bitmex = fake money.
    Binance = the magic bucket shop where most of this happens now that the Bitfinex brand is damaged.

Tether creates money out of thin air (or else by having all these mysterious customers who lodge hundreds of millions of dollars with them in real money so they can get these things called Tethers that). They take this 'real money' and use it to buy bitcoin on 'bucket shop' exchanges like Bitfinex and Binance. Price goes up. People buying.

One thing I would agree on is that Tether is absolutely shady as all hell.

I am generally averse to crypto blogs as credible sources of information, but this seems to be one of the better ones, doesn't paint a good picture
    https://blockgeeks.com/guides/what-is-tether/

Feels like a house of cards

One thing I would agree on is that Tether is absolutely shady as all hell.

I am generally averse to crypto blogs as credible sources of information, but this seems to be one of the better ones, doesn't paint a good picture
    https://blockgeeks.com/guides/what-is-tether/

Feels like a house of cards

I think many people would agree with saying there is at least a lack of transparency with Tether and possibly much more serious issues.

Having said that, the total market cap of Tether is 60 times less than the total market cap of bitcoin only, and probably around 1% of the total crypto market cap. And I think most people would agree that while they might not hold all the cash they claim they do, they at least have some of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Wasn't it proved recently that all tethers were backed up when the report came out about them losing funds in some international transfer? The funds lost in this transfer are the only shortfall.

I'll dig out the article in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

I don’t really follow all the ins and outs of BTC, XRP, TRON (All of which I bought and still hold a number of years ago when I had a few quid doing nothing) and I skipped huge chunks of this thread.

I treated it purely as a gamble and if I’m honest I didn’t really understand what it was all about back then. If it goes to the moon well and good, if not no harm done.

I’m not really into the obsession that some seem to have over it, the time and energy put into defending your stance / hating on the opposing point of view. Who has time for that? I wouldn’t put any more into it I’d say, but each to their own. If it’s your money and the mortgage is paid and the kids fed and watered then it’s nobody's business but your own. There are other things to fret over 😊

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement