Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

XMG wrote: »
    I don’t really follow all the ins and outs of BTC, XRP, TRON (All of which I bought and still hold a number of years ago when I had a few quid doing nothing) and I skipped huge chunks of this thread.

I treated it purely as a gamble and if I’m honest I didn’t really understand what it was all about back then. If it goes to the moon well and good, if not no harm done.

I’m not really into the obsession that some seem to have over it, the time and energy put into defending your stance / hating on the opposing point of view. Who has time for that? I wouldn’t put any more into it I’d say, but each to their own. If it’s your money and the mortgage is paid and the kids fed and watered then it’s nobody's business but your own. There are other things to fret over ��

Probably the most sensible comment made on this thread in a long time. You cannot have a conversation here about various coins as some w4nker will jump in and derail the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bob24 wrote: »
    but Of course no one knows for sure, but if I had to pick a side I’d say we are moving towards the second option. Especially if a larger part of the market is driven by institutional money - which won’t go into dogecoin just because it has a cool name an everybody talks about it on Twitter/Telegram.

Had to quote myself when I saw this, felt like I was beeing barked at :-) : https://cointelegraph.com/news/dogecoin-finally-listed-on-binance-doge-price-up-30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

XMG wrote: »
    I’m not really into the obsession that some seem to have over it, the time and energy put into defending your stance / hating on the opposing point of view. Who has time for that? I wouldn’t put any more into it I’d say, but each to their own. If it’s your money and the mortgage is paid and the kids fed and watered then it’s nobody's business but your own. There are other things to fret over ��

If I can't argue with strangers on the internet about things I only read about a few days ago what's the point to living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Broke my own rules yet again, big BTC purchase today. Done for now, promise.

Well I'm full of sh1t.

Possible breakout to upside in the next day or two in my opinion. (BTC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Ok thanks. Just sold my car to purchase more BTC. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Ok thanks. Just sold my car to purchase more BTC. :)

You weren't supposed to sell the Lambo to buy Bitcoin :o

Although since there's your breakout, you can buy it back and keep the free Sats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

https://twitter.com/haydenotto_/status/1148174274374455297?s=09

I havent verified yet but apparently the police are raiding trons offices in Beijing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

sexmag wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/haydenotto_/status/1148174274374455297?s=09

I havent verified yet but apparently the police are raiding trons offices in Beijing

They seem to be there to keep the peace. Apparently, some people lost money in a scam that had a similar name or tried to associate itself with Tron. Those guys are píssed off with Justin Sun for not clearly disassociating Tron from this fraudulent project.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Those guys are píssed off with Justin Sun for not clearly disassociating Tron from this fraudulent project.
    Springs to mind the Catholic Church warning the public about the dangers of cults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Dades wrote: »
    Springs to mind the Catholic Church warning the public about the dangers of cults.

He followed up his ‘move away, nothing to see here’ tweet with this gem.

https://twitter.com/justinsuntron/status/1148217130501976070?s=21

The dude is a sociopathic scumbag in an industry that attracts them like a fly to shït.

Dades wrote: »

I'm no fan of Sun (Tron not so much either ...although curious to see how the bittorrent experiment works out). That said, the analogy is well harsh.

As for the unmentionables comment, the guy goes on about someone else being a sociopath when he takes a pretty indepth interest in an industry and movement he detests. He can't be taken seriously about anything when he can't even acknowledge one redeeming facet of blockchain or crypto.

As for what the industry attracts, its the wild west as its a brand new industry sector - the centralised aspects of which have as yet been left unregulated. i.e. what else would you expect. It would be the same for any such sector under those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,207 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Whelo79 wrote: »

Yeah that doesn't look good for Justin. Actions like this could easily draw the attention of central banks

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Yeah that doesn't look good for Justin. Actions like this could easily draw the attention of central banks

Not that I have much in the way of confidence in Sun, what has he/Tron done wrong here? (of course assuming his account as per that statement is accurate...as it may very well not be).

How people don't know a scam a mile away is beyond me.

How is it not good for him exactly? This is no different to all those send .1 to .5 ETH here and receive x5 ETH back that have been set up under various different Crypto names for years. Are you going to blame Vitalak for everyone of them set up his name that he doesn't respond to?

The phrase DYOR is very appropriate here!

How people don't know a scam a mile away is beyond me.

Exactly. This is just issues looking for someone as a scapegoat for their own stupidity.

Not that I have much in the way of confidence in Sun, what has he/Tron done wrong here? (of course assuming his account as per that statement is accurate...as it may very well not be).

Fiscal responsibility. If this were a scam fraudulently linked to e.g. a bank, where the bank had clearly been made aware of a false scheme in it's name, but had taken no action, and someone had killed themselves (as is the case here) - the bank can't just shrug and claim ignorance. The banks name is being knowingly used (abused) as part of a scam, therefore it's the responsibility of the bank to take action

Along the same vein (but more serious) is if a bank's services are being abused by launderers without the banks knowledge - the bank cannot claim innocence, they would have to prove to regulators that their checks and controls were up to industry standards or face a hefty fine

Crypto projects aren't directly financial institutions, but there are overlaps - especially in China Sun would want to be mindful, could draw negative attention from regulators

• Advertisement

@Dohnjoe : For sure...but did they not do enough?

@Dohnjoe : For sure...but did they not do enough?

He only seemed to respond the day the person killed herself. And there are accusations that the people who fell for the scam were also buying up Tron. It just doesn't have good optics for Sun. Whether or not Chinese regulators will pay attention I don't know, but if they do decide to pay attention - you do not want them on your back for anything

He only seemed to respond the day the person killed herself. And there are accusations that the people who fell for the scam were also buying up Tron. It just doesn't have good optics for Sun. Whether or not Chinese regulators will pay attention I don't know, but if they do decide to pay attention - you do not want them on your back for anything

And today he posted a link to a site which is a spoof site whose main product is called exitscam.me.Literally an hour after a video was posted showing people crying at his office. He's a man with absolutely no morals or principal. A sociopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Johnny who cares, if you feel that strongly maybe do something more than beaching about it on the net, to be fair your probably far worse than your pal Justin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

JJJJNR wrote: »

Clearly bullish for the concept of digital currency (and possibly for blockchain technology, if they use blockchain) ... but if they are developing their own, what's at the back of their mind probably is that the use if Bitcoin, Libra, and other alt coins will be very limited if not completely banned in China. i.e. I am not sure it is bullish for the idea of Bitcoin as the one globally accepted cryptocurrency to rule them all.

Clearly bullish for the concept of digital currency (and possibly for blockchain technology, if they use blockchain) ... but if they are developing their own, what's at the back of their mind probably is that the use if Bitcoin, Libra, and other alt coins will be very limited if not completely banned in China. i.e. I am not sure it is bullish for the idea of Bitcoin as the one globally accepted cryptocurrency to rule them all.

It's a reaction to Libra. The Chinese are not going to let FBIcoin in the door. In the first instance, they have their own anyway (kind of) - with WePay and AliPay.

Libra is not borderless. Bitcoin is. Of course, they can beat down on the on and off ramps from FIAT - which they are doing already. However, whilst it definitely doesn't help, it seems it isn't stopping Bitcoin trade in China completely.

I think that it is bullish overall for Bitcoin though. We had Bitcoin vs. Banks. Now we have Big tech vs. banks. Add national digital currencies into the mix - and get people accustomed to using crypto and the picture begins to change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It's a reaction to Libra. The Chinese are not going to let FBIcoin in the door. In the first instance, they have their own anyway (kind of) - with WePay and AliPay.

Libra is not borderless. Bitcoin is. Of course, they can beat down on the on and off ramps from FIAT - which they are doing already. However, whilst it definitely doesn't help, it seems it isn't stopping Bitcoin trade in China completely.

I think that it is bullish overall for Bitcoin though. We had Bitcoin vs. Banks. Now we have Big tech vs. banks. Add national digital currencies into the mix - and get people accustomed to using crypto and the picture begins to change.

Personally I don't see bitcoin as a currency. I see it as a market to buy , hold and hope that the value increases. Then selling back to dollars or Euro.

I am not saying they will necessarily do it, but there is a lot more China could do to restrict bitcoin ownership compared to what they are doing now. Just one strong exemple which to be clear I don’t think is coming tomorrow, but if it deemed it necessary the Chinese government wouldn’t hesitate for a second to introduce laws punishing bitcoin ownership with jail time, which given the harshness of the judicial and jail systems there would instantly deter 99% of the population from even typing bitcoin in a search engine, let alone from actually storing bitcoins.

They are not doing this kind of stuff right now because bitcoin is not of great strategic importance at the stage, but if they ever thought they need to wipe bitcoin off China as much as they can, I have no doubt they would introduce a lot more preventive and coercive measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

But Johnny said it was. I don't know who to belive now, the random guy on the internet who has been wrong pretty consistantly or the CEO of a major exchange who has the real data to back up the claim........:(

Contributor article. Not worth a curse. People pay Forbes to write any sort of old rubbish.

The big story in crypto this morning is the documents that have emerged out of Bitfinex. Fraud on a fairly monumental scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Contributor article. Not worth a curse. People pay Forbes to write any sort of old rubbish.

The big story in crypto this morning is the documents that have emerged out of Bitfinex. Fraud on a fairly monumental scale.

Where do you get your stories johnny?

You can call him a liar, but it is a fact that the CEO of Kraken has said publicly that when more Tethers get created they usually see a similar growth of cash deposits on their Exchange. It of course doesn’t prove anything about Tether, but it gives a strong hint that Tether growth is correlated with injection of real cash in crypto markets.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Personally I don't see bitcoin as a currency. I see it as a market to buy , hold and hope that the value increases. Then selling back to dollars or Euro.

That's fine. It's different things to different people. To me, its use will go and is going beyond speculative.
    They are not doing this kind of stuff right now because bitcoin is not of great strategic importance at the stage, but if they ever thought they need to wipe bitcoin off China as much as they can, I have no doubt they would introduce a lot more preventive and coercive measures.

There's a whole sh1t show to come on this and not just from the Chinese. However, I think throwing FBIcoin in the middle of it all is helpful in the long run.
    You can call him a liar, but it is a fact that the CEO of Kraken has said publicly that when more Tethers get created they usually see a similar growth of cash deposits on their Exchange. It of course doesn’t prove anything about Tether, but it gives a strong hint that Tether growth is correlated with injection of real cash in crypto markets.

The unmentionable one has been corrected before on Forbes. Forbes don't do paid for articles. They do have content pitched at them all day long but it's not paid for. And other than that, it's like you say - it's Jesse Powell's view.

I've never been happy with the Tether situation. However, what the disclosure of documents has shown us is that through all that time when they were said to be underfunded, they actually were fully funded.
    In fairness to them, all of these difficulties stem from being locked out of the banking system. They - like others - were forced into options they didn't otherwise want. CryptoCapital was one of those options. Having funds locked up at CryptoCapital due to the securitons putting on a full court press is not their fault. It wasn't the right thing to do but it was the only option open to them - so they borrowed off one to pay the other (Tether -> Bitfinex) due to funds of theirs that were locked up.

By comparison with fractional reserve banking, it's nothing. That still leaves it as a risk and the lack of transparency is a risk. In a recent interview, Phil Potter (former CSO) claims that auditors won't engage with them. Complete auditing is what is missing the whole time.

Without that, it remains a risk - albeit at least it is becoming much less significant in the space as a whole.

As regards the unmentionable one's claim of a 'big story', they have been forced to work with whatever banking partners they can muster. The over-reach of the yanks is sickening. And as regards New York. Ask anyone in crypto/blockchain what they think of the regulatory regime in New York!

The Real Big Story.

18,000 people walking out the door in London and New York courtesy of Deutsche Bank. We haven't had that since 26,000 people walked out of Lehman Bros. carrying boxes.

Lads I am genuinely getting tired of Jonnys sh1t talk and bashing, is there a way to ignore certain users? (genuine question ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Lads I am genuinely getting tired of Jonnys sh1t talk and bashing, is there a way to ignore certain users? (genuine question ).

Stick your head in the sand. Good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Stick your head in the sand. Good lad.

Shut up you <epithet>.

Bitcoin is up 4.14% in 24 hours. It's a volatile and risky investment. I and others know that. You are contributing nothing of value to anyone with your stuck record of endless negativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Click on the amoral criminal's username, bottom of the list is the 'ignore' option.

grindle wrote: »
    Click on the amoral criminal's username, bottom of the list is the 'ignore' option.

Thanks a mill that's his two accounts gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

cnocbui wrote: »
    Shut up you <epithet>.

Bitcoin is up 4.14% in 24 hours. It's a volatile and risky investment. I and others know that. You are contributing nothing of value to anyone with your stuck record of endless negativity.
    "investment?"

I thought it was a currency???

Thanks a mill that's his two accounts gone now.

You have one more to add ;-)

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    "investment?"

I thought it was a currency???

I don't view it as a currency, though I have used is as such. I view at as being more akin to gold - a relatively finite substance limited in quantity that doesn't corrode and is fairly immutable and which has some useful properties.

Since I am currently up 787 %, I'd call that an 'investment'. You are free to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I don't view it as a currency, though I have used is as such. I view at as being more akin to gold - a relatively finite substance limited in quantity that doesn't corrode and is fairly immutable and which has some useful properties.

Since I am currently up 787 %, I'd call that an 'investment'. You are free to disagree.
    Yeah but gold exists, mate. Cryptocurrencies are magic coins plucked out of mid air. Beany Babies have more value than those.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Yeah but gold exists, mate. Cryptocurrencies are magic coins plucked out of mid air. Beany Babies have more value than those.

Yet bitcoin is worth over 12k usd today

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I view at as being more akin to gold - a relatively finite substance limited in quantity

Literally anyone in the world with a pc can repeat the exact same bitcoin exercise as the "accepted one" right now.

My beany babies are worth nearly 8 times what I paid for them.

I'll tell you what - log into your online banking and look at your balance - a bunch of numbers on a computer somewhere; supposedly. Refresh the page in a way that doesn't log you out, say every 5 minutes for the next five years. I'll then ask you what your balance is and tell you whether my beanie babies have fared better or worse than your bunch of numbers on a computer somewhere (supposedly).

Pi doesn't exist - it's just an idea someone thought up. Funny thing is, it's actually been of some use, down through the ages. I wonder if someone could actually work out what this nonexistent and fictitious number has been worth?

I have owned gold, platinum and silver in real physical form. Bitcoin has outperformed them as an investment, for me, imaginary or not. I'm happy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement