Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

So in general terms bitcoin has been decreasing steadily since June 2019 from €7,000 to €6,500 and no signs of abating.

It's just gone up 7.5% in 24 hours. EUR 7,084 right now. This time last year it was EUR 3,600. Yeah, a lot of gambling involved, thin air, etc - but the gains in crypto can be insane when you catch them, which is the attraction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I told you all. You can't make money out of thin air. Any money you do get from it is just taking from someone else.

Any money you earn in any aspect of life is just taking money from someone else. That's literally how it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

So in general terms bitcoin has been decreasing steadily since June 2019 from €7,000 to €6,500 and no signs of abating.

I told you all. You can't make money out of thin air. Any money you do get from it is just taking from someone else.

Are you sure you should be in an investment forum, because you don't seem to understand the basics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Bitcoin has been increasing steadily for 10 years, find a Youtube tutorial on how to zoom out on your screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bitcoin has been increasing steadily for 10 years

I don't think "steadily" is an appropriate word here :p

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    I don't think "steadily" is an appropriate word here :p

If you squint and stand 3 feet from your monitor it looks relatively stead to me.

Another healthy tick today. €7122 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭GodlikeRed

The world, economy and life are not a zero sum game.

Also, money is quite literally printed out of thin air each day in the US & EU due to quantitative easing. So there is that......

Another healthy tick today. €7122 now.

€7280 now. Great few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Bittersweet that we didn't see <€5k again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Dash and Monero have been on fire in the past couple of days (even compared to the rest of the bunch). They had been poor performers in the past few months and I thought people were slowly writing them off due to regulatory fears and delistings from exchanges, but I might have been wrong.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Dash and Monero have been on fire in the past couple of days (even compared to the rest of the bunch). They had been poor performers in the past few months and I thought people were slowly writing them off due to regulatory fears and delistings from exchanges, but I might have been wrong.

Dash and Monero are practically illiquid. Much of the volume you see in coinmarketcap is faked. It easier when you stop trying to catch the bounces with those coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Iran have launched an attack on a US base in Iraq.. major concern for the situation there.

Bitcoin just jumped 200 dollars.

GodlikeRed wrote: »
    Dash and Monero are practically illiquid. Much of the volume you see in coinmarketcap is faked. It easier when you stop trying to catch the bounces with those coins.

I am not much interested in owning these TBH, but any reason their volumes would be more fake than for other coins? (Monero volumes are half of Binance Coin which doesn't seem that low)

Amazing how quickly sentiment changes. I am very regimental and even I am getting buy urges.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Iran have launched an attack on a US base in Iraq.. major concern for the situation there.

Bitcoin just jumped 200 dollars.

Whoo that came more quickly and more directly targetted than I would have thought :-/ Not good news for the world but yes if this keeps escalating, for us it will be an interesting test of wether Bitcoin is seen as a potential safe haven asset.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Amazing how quickly sentiment changes. I am very regimental and even I am getting buy urges.

If the assumption is that Bitcoin would follow the traditional gold pattern as a recipient for fear, it is usually not a good idea to buy shortly after this type of event as everyone panics and prices overshoot almost instantly before correcting a bit and consolidating.

But I am not sure I believe myself in what I am saying, as this could further escalate :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Could be looking at $10k BTC pretty soon.

€7122 now.
    €7280 now.
    €7500 now.

New year new lease of life.

Chain link my big hope for this year.

• Advertisement

I am not much interested in owning these TBH, but any reason their volumes would be more fake than for other coins? (Monero volumes are half of Binance Coin which doesn't seem that low)

Its a 1/10th of binance coin fyi.
    My personal tactic is to buy BTC and forget about it, its easier on the mind.
    Yea I might miss a 50x coin but the likelihood one could pick that token is tiny - at least with BTC im not gonna miss the boat (if there is one at all).

Yea I might miss a 50x coin but the likelihood one could pick that token is tiny - at least with BTC im not gonna miss the boat (if there is one at all).

See current screenshot from coin marketcap below - not showing 1/10th, more 1/3rd.

499488.png

See current screenshot from coin marketcap below - not showing 1/10th, more 1/3rd.

499488.png

Aye your right - sorry I was reading the BSV (weather) volume!

We will see what happens at the BTC halving. Should be interesting, I wont sell unless we see new insane ATHs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

+1

I’m the same

I’m wondering if this is all going to crash

I’m rich because you are rich ?

worded wrote: »
    +1

I’m the same

I’m wondering if this is all going to crash

I’m rich because you are rich ?

Its likely not going to crash (sub 1K lets say), https://medium.com/@vijayboyapati/the-bullish-case-for-bitcoin-6ecc8bdecc1 - its a new form of money. Blockchain is a revolutionary technology, which is optimally setup to work within the bitcoin (BTC) protocol.
    The biggest threat is if it threatens nation states monetary control, they might act then.

Its likely not going to crash (sub 1K lets say), https://medium.com/@vijayboyapati/the-bullish-case-for-bitcoin-6ecc8bdecc1 - its a new form of money. Blockchain is a revolutionary technology, which is optimally setup to work within the bitcoin (BTC) protocol.
    The biggest threat is if it threatens nation states monetary control, they might act then.

Nation states taking action in the face of a currency threat - Oooo - my knees tremble at the very thought, what with examples of their past successes, like UK£ vs Soros, Zimbabwe vs $, Argentina, Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Wiemar Republic vs inflation, Switzerland CHF appreciation vs everything else a few years back, yeah, history is so replete with examples of nation states getting their way with their currency wishes, Bitcoin should watch out. /s

cnocbui wrote: »
    Nation states taking action in the face of a currency threat - Oooo - my knees tremble at the very thought, what with examples of their past successes, like UK£ vs Soros, Zimbabwe vs $, Argentina, Venezuela, Zimbabwe, Wiemar Republic vs inflation, Switzerland CHF appreciation vs everything else a few years back, yeah, history is so replete with examples of nation states getting their way with their currency wishes, Bitcoin should watch out. /s

(Y)

If global regulators were so inclined they could decide to forbid banks or payment services from doing business with crypto exchanges that carried e.g. Monero. Which would decimate it's value overnight.

Luckily, so far, they seem to be letting most of this slide.

Portfolio all time high today.

The down times are a walk in the park these days. Emotionless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It should be if you are feeding it FIAT every month :p

Only teasing, may your portfolio go up forever more!

unkel wrote: »
    It should be if you are feeding it FIAT every month :p

Only teasing, may your portfolio go up forever more!

Funny enough I always fed FIAT to my stock portfolio and it nearly ways went down!

Bitcoin is safer than most stocks bar the top few by mkt cap in S&P it seems.

Funny enough I always fed FIAT to my stock portfolio and it nearly ways went down!

Bitcoin is safer than most stocks bar the top few by mkt cap in S&P it seems.

To be fair, an ETF which is dumbly buying everything on the S&P 500 would have gone up drastically over the past couple of years (courtesy of the Fed kindly providing piles of cash to primary dealers, which feels great for some while it lasts but will not end well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

The down times are a walk in the park these days. Emotionless

stock market is at an ath at the moment....bubble about to burst, not sustainable

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    stock market is at an ath at the moment....bubble about to burst, not sustainable

It is unsustainable. But I don’t think anyone can predict when it will burst. Could be one month, one year, or 5 years. The Fed is clearly ready to do “whatever it takes” (even if it means potentially destroying the value of the dollar) to prevent markets from falling - this won’t go on forever but who know how much longer they can keep the music playing.

If you had written that 2 years ago, it would have been true; 1 year ago, it would have been true; 6 months ago, it would have been true - but the thing is, so long as interest rates are zero or negative, it isn't true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If you had written that 2 years ago, it would have been true; 1 year ago, it would have been true; 6 months ago, it would have been true - but the thing is, so long as interest rates are zero or negative, it isn't true.

That's not entirely accurate!

There was a massive correction in the last quarter of 2018. So, "1 year ago" it was approx 20% lower than the previous summer.

dotsman wrote: »
    That's not entirely accurate!

There was a massive correction in the last quarter of 2018. So, "1 year ago" it was approx 20% lower than the previous summer.

That wasn't massive, it was just a correction, not a crash. I am not aware of the scale of the correction in the Irish market, but in the US it was only 10%.

I have been thinking a major crash is surely imminent for years, and it hasn't happened. If things were normal I am sure there would have been a crash, but there is nowhere else for all the money to go. Bonds are dead, no yield there. Stick the money in a bank and watch it get eaten away.

Equities are the only game in town so the ridiculous valuations just keep pushing up due to scarcity and demand.

I would both love and hate an actual crash. I don't expect one while zero and negative interest rate insanity persists.

Yes this happened when the Fed started to increase interest rates again to bring them to equilibrium value and to engage in quantitative tightening to normalise their balance sheet. And then once they saw the result they changed track (interest rates lowered again and now we even have unofficial QE via the repo market) and the markets started rising again.

Which demonstrates stock prices have little to do with the economy and very much to do with historically low interest rates and money printing.

Thing is - it is now pretty clear the Fed sees a market crash as unacceptable and will provide lower rates for as long as it takes and as much liquidity as it takes to prevent one for happening. I don’t think they can/will do it forever, but it is very hard to say how much longer it can last (could end soon, but could also be another decade).

]So while I agree a market crash should be imminent in a functioning system, since the game is basically rigged I would be cautious calling for one. Long term it is probably good for crypto and precious metals though, as it is damaging trust in fiat currencies (the ECB or the BOJ have similar policies).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

print money, offer low interest rates to borrow money to buy stocks - increase the stock market
    markets reach highs and stocks are sold off and then it all tumbles
    Profits then used to buy crypto :D

That wasn't massive, it was just a correction, not a crash. I am not aware of the scale of the correction in the Irish market, but in the US it was only 10%.

I have been thinking a major crash is surely imminent for years, and it hasn't happened. If things were normal I am sure there would have been a crash, but there is nowhere else for all the money to go. Bonds are dead, no yield there. Stick the money in a bank and watch it get eaten away.

Equities are the only game in town so the ridiculous valuations just keep pushing up due to scarcity and demand.

I would both love and hate an actual crash. I don't expect one while zero and negative interest rate insanity persists.

As "corrections" go, it was pretty massive. Nasdaq dropped 22%. The 2008 crash (one of the biggest market crashes in history), saw a drop of 37% on the Nasdaq.

Anyway, not debating the ins and outs of stock markets. Was just correcting your statement that 1 year ago, the stock market was at an all time high.

• Advertisement

As "corrections" go, it was pretty massive. Nasdaq dropped 22%. The 2008 crash (one of the biggest market crashes in history), saw a drop of 37% on the Nasdaq.

Anyway, not debating the ins and outs of stock markets. Was just correcting your statement that 1 year ago, the stock market was at an all time high.

I didn't say that.

Was just correcting your statement that 1 year ago, the stock market was at an all time high.
    I didn't say that.

I'm afraid you did...

Don't mean to be pedantic ;)

I'm afraid you did...

Don't mean to be pedantic ;)

I wasn't referring to the ATH bit, but to the bubble about to burst bit. Given that I referred to three points in time, I would have thought that it might have been obvious I wasn't referring to a single ATH.

Here we go again

Green all around this morning.

Still on fire! Dash up 42% in the past 7 days (vs 10% for Bitcoin)

Basically the value doubled in the past 2 weeks.

Disclosure: I don’t have any :-)

Could get rejected here but we are above the top line of the 7 month falling wedge. Bullish but apprehensive.

Still long and accumulating as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Could get rejected here but we are above the top line of the 7 month falling wedge. Bullish but apprehensive.

Still long and accumulating as always.

Why 7 months? Why not 6 or 8. Crypto heads love seeing patterns where they don’t exist. It’s why we have lads going on about 30,40, 60, 90 day moving averages. Anything to suit the narrative. Tether sent a load of magic dollars to Binance late last night. That’s being used to pump the price. The few desperate fûckers still using margin to go short and long will be cleaned out once again.

Simples.

Why 7 months? Why not 6 or 8. Crypto heads love seeing patterns where they don’t exist. It’s why we have lads going on about 30,40, 60, 90 day moving averages. Anything to suit the narrative. Tether sent a load of magic dollars to Binance late last night. That’s being used to pump the price. The few desperate fûckers still using margin to go short and long will be cleaned out once again.

Simples.

You are consistent, consistently wrong, but consistent none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

You are consistant, contistanly wrong, but consistant none the less.

You spelled consistent wrong, consistently wrong.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement