Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

$10,500 printed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Printed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Seems to me Bitcoin SV's enormous rally on Craig's (false) news played a serious part. A significant volume went into the coin, then it took an immense jump (something we haven't seen a top cap coin do independently in the market in a long while) then various other alts started popping and the whole market started to (tentatively) move upwards. It also mirrors last year where there was a recovery just after Christmas (which later turned into a BTC run), so that would have helped sentiment

It's the single most surprising thing I've seen since 2017 and wasn't expecting it in the slightest, and I follow this crap on an hourly basis. If it made me bullish on crap alts (I immediately bought some dog**** like BCD and BTG which then rocketed up) then it's understandable why the market took to it. BSV is as crap as you can get in the top 10.

The BTC halving is coming and Eth 2.0, so it seemed to trigger the impending runs for those. Crypto is a flock of birds it can turn on practically nothing.

I honestly think a big part is current crypto holders using defi to leverage up and buy more Eth against their current Eth holdings. That's what I did. I and many other never used defi till last month or two when a bunch of easy to use dapps launched and the market looked like it was on a slow and steady upswing with eth 2.0 and halving.

And as the demand for dai borrowing increases, the rate goes up, thus attracting even more people to buy Eth and Maker and Dai to get the staking and deposit returns. You literally can't go wrong in the CURRENT market with a strong upswing. You either buy dai to get the interest when locking in deposit or your borrow dai against your eth (which helps going up in price) , which allows you to borrow more Dai to buy yet more Eth....

And yes I'm very aware that there's a risk there where the collateral depreciates at the same rate as the borrowiing or more. Now it's an upward curve so everything is rosy. I wouldn't use defi late in the Cycle for longs.

maninasia wrote: »
    I honestly think a big part is current crypto holders using defi to leverage up and buy more Eth against their current Eth holdings. That's what I did. I and many other never used defi till last month or two when a bunch of easy to use dapps launched and the market looked like it was on a slow and steady upswing with eth 2.0 and halving.

And as the demand for dai borrowing increases, the rate goes up, thus attracting even more people to buy Eth and Maker and Dai to get the staking and deposit returns. You literally can't go wrong in the CURRENT market with a strong upswing. You either buy dai to get the interest when locking in deposit or your borrow dai against your eth (which helps going up in price) , which allows you to borrow more Dai to buy yet more Eth....

And yes I'm very aware that there's a risk there where the collateral depreciates at the same rate as the borrowiing or more. Now it's an upward curve so everything is rosy. I wouldn't use defi late in the Cycle for longs.

I've made great gains over the last month and not told a single person . That's what two plus years of a horrendous crypto winter and egg on Face will do to a person ! Not one soul in real life. That's how volatile this space and how many times I've been burnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Alt season is here, huge gains in the last 24hrs with one bag hitting 84%, hope it continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Alt season is here, huge gains in the last 24hrs with one bag hitting 84%, hope it continues.

Gifto? Hbar? Gas from the day before?

Thargor wrote: »
    Printed?

Closed on the 5 minute on Coinbase at it. Not a momentary wick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

My stupid alt still isn't missing... damn one harmony. Really hoping someone starts a p&d on it at this stage. I've lost so much on it I cannot sell it but a little p&d might bring me back to where I bought in. If that happened I'd go for eth and ltc and let that sit I think

tcawley29 wrote: »
    My stupid alt still isn't missing... damn one harmony. Really hoping someone starts a p&d on it at this stage. I've lost so much on it I cannot sell it but a little p&d might bring me back to where I bought in. If that happened I'd go for eth and ltc and let that sit I think

ATH was around $0.030 correct? seems to be currently $0.007

That's not too bad, most alts are still down 90% on ATH or more. I'd sit on it and wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

ATH was around $0.030 correct? seems to be currently $0.007

That's not too bad, most alts are still down 90% on ATH or more. I'd sit on it and wait.

Oh absolutely. It would be lunacy to sell it now. I'll just have to wait this one out. Either people will get their faith back and invest or someone will have a pump and dump.
    As long as I get rid of it at a decent price I'm happy enough :)

• Advertisement

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Oh absolutely. It would be lunacy to sell it now. I'll just have to wait this one out. Either people will get their faith back and invest or someone will have a pump and dump.
    As long as I get rid of it at a decent price I'm happy enough :)

Rank 157, not great, not terrible. It was launched on the secondary markets at last years peak (June-ish), so a bad time for price. I think it's max supply is around 12 bn, so at current prices 70 quid for a millionth of max supply is alright. It's on Binance - good and it hasn't done anything dramatic yet in terms of price, also good. Their website is still very 2019, including no 2020 roadmap, which is a bit scary - as a concerned investor send them a message to update their website ASAP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

I've made great gains over the last month and not told a single person . That's what two plus years of a horrendous crypto winter and egg on Face will do to a person ! Not one soul in real life. That's how volatile this space and how many times I've been burnt.

Best to keep it that way as well, most people just **** talked cryptocurrencies with soundbites they got from media outlets when we'd bring them up in conversation so **** them, when it all skyrockets and we're all living well we can look back and laugh at the ignorance they showed during the times we tried to actually bring a bit of awareness to them about it

Planning the exit strategy now from crypto there's too much uncertainty about and with the market somewhat up it might be best to cash out soon. It's been a fun 2 years lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Planning the exit strategy now from crypto there's too much uncertainty about and with the market somewhat up it might be best to cash out soon. It's been a fun 2 years lads.

I'd crystalised some gains @10days ago....
    When i say some, i'd moved everything i owned back to Fiat.
    Will drop back in over the next month or so, but delighted my itchy trigger finger pushed the entire market up :P

Ye are welcome lads! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you are getting more fiat out than you ever paid in, then why not? A profit is a profit. I do it all the time with "real" shares. Sell when I hit my profit target, might be as modest as 10%. Even if you are selling at a loss, the certainty of the loss might be preferable over an unknown but possibly far bigger loss in future.

I was tempted a few months ago when I temporarily was overall in the black in crypto (for the first time in years). But I'll HODL on for the moment. In fact I'm doing a lot more than just holding as my coinage is increasing through mining, and mostly through masternoding.

Can’t believe people are selling, still buying every Friday here. Can’t get enough Bitcoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

What are peoples opinions on chainlinks rise? Its graph seems to have detached from btc quite a bit this week are we likely to see a big kick back or do you think >4 is likely to hold or is it just a case of who tf knows!

Can’t believe people are selling, still buying every Friday here. Can’t get enough Bitcoin.

If there weren't sellers you wouldn't be able to buy! I think theres another of people who just look to buy under 10 and sell over 10 and then rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

jimmii wrote: »
    Chainlink
    who tf knows!

This.

I can guarantee it'll move in one of three directions and that's as accurate an assessment as anybody could make.

jimmii wrote: »
    If there weren't sellers you wouldn't be able to buy! I think theres another of people who just look to buy under 10 and sell over 10 and then rinse and repeat.

Well I understand the miners selling, not retail.

The hassle of taxes when buying and selling for a small gain, not for me.

HODL on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Cashing out of crypto now , imo I think you'd be mad but everyone has their reasons

I'm working on my exit strategy for all my holdings and as I dont need the money right now and hope to stick to it

Not an easy thing to do as its hard to predict what prices and what percentages to cash out to, but I'm basing it on an overall amount and see what happens

Few trades in between every now and again to keep my eye on the market

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Cashing out of crypto now , imo I think you'd be mad but everyone has their reasons

I'm working on my exit strategy for all my holdings and as I dont need the money right now and hope to stick to it

Not an easy thing to do as its hard to predict what prices and what percentages to cash out to, but I'm basing it on an overall amount and see what happens

Few trades in between every now and again to keep my eye on the market

Yeah it's just getting fun! I'm nowhere near tempted to cash out right now. My crypto is only a relatively small part of my overall holdings and apart from a couple of punty low cap AIM stocks everything else I have is pretty boring and safe crypto is my fun time. It might never really blow up but if it does then at least I got in pretty early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

This is the best bit.

ETH has been seriously undervalued for months, should be closer to 500-600. I'd expect it to grow a bit more and then swing into Bitcoin and boost that.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

dollar cost averaging?

This is the best bit.

ETH has been seriously undervalued for months, should be closer to 500-600. I'd expect it to grow a bit more and then swing into Bitcoin and boost that.

it might be a good idea of converting some BTC into ETH as the rate of growth in the short term could be better from ETH and then convert back into BTC

dollar cost averaging?

Used to dollar cost average now I Bitcoin cost average, same amount of BTC each week.

Crazy to me that anyone would consider getting out now when things seem to finally be heating back up after the bear market over the last couple of years, the halving is in a couple of months and the months/year following this should be very exciting

unkel wrote: »
    If you are getting more fiat out than you ever paid in, then why not? A profit is a profit. I do it all the time with "real" shares. Sell when I hit my profit target, might be as modest as 10%. Even if you are selling at a loss, the certainty of the loss might be preferable over an unknown but possibly far bigger loss in future.

I was tempted a few months ago when I temporarily was overall in the black in crypto (for the first time in years). But I'll HODL on for the moment. In fact I'm doing a lot more than just holding as my coinage is increasing through mining, and mostly through masternoding.

I increased my holdings a lot , not by major fiat but more by leveraging by loaning dai to my myself from my crypto collateral. Just another strategy. If it doesn't work out well it's my crypto that takes the hit more than my cash savings. So I can use my spare cash every month to diversify my investments into stocks or whatever (cos I'm already heavily concentrated in crypto it's a risk).

unkel wrote: »

I increased my holdings substantially, not by major fiat but more by leveraging by loaning dai myself from my crypto collateral and using to buy other coins. Just another strategy. If it doesn't work out well it's my crypto that takes the hit more than my cash savings. So I can use my spare cash every month to diversify my investments into stocks or whatever (cos I'm already heavily concentrated in crypto it's a risk).

Later if and when ethereum settles at a much higher value and volatility reduces , I can just stake it or deposit it for interest or use it for collateral to loan myself funds. I don't intend to cash out unless there's a crack up boom and then I'll cash a portion.

I think I'm just about in the black for my crypto investments, I was only in the red for maybe three or four months ever lol cos I started back Oct timeframe 2017. I had plenty of time.to research the cycles of crypto.
    This bear market has been the longest and the worst I really hope it's over !
    The previous history of bitcoin cycles suggests it will reach five to ten times it's previous ath. So a conservative number for next ath is 100k bitcoin. That is a conservative number if you follow it's history, really.

Fortunately I understand it's good to diversify so I have been doing that too and I am a genuine fan of smart contract ecosystems.

• Advertisement

Arrival wrote: »
    Crazy to me that anyone would consider getting out now when things seem to finally be heating back up after the bear market over the last couple of years, the halving is in a couple of months and the months/year following this should be very exciting

It's crazy to proper crypto heads like us but some people can't handle the risk profile.
    But I do think it's a bad time to withdraw funds.
    But if I had that attitude back end 2017 I would have come out better.

Anyway...Just in terms of halving, 2.0 and defi...No I would not recommend stepping away from the crypto market right now.😀

I've sTePped AWay FrOm the PaNiC BuTTon.

The previous history of bitcoin cycles suggests it will reach five to ten times it's previous ath. So a conservative number for next ath is 100k bitcoin. That is a conservative number if you follow it's history, really.

Would love to think so but we would really be reaching serious limits there. 100k BTC is 1.7 trillion cap. That's bigger than Apple.

Would love to think so but we would really be reaching serious limits there. 100k BTC is 1.7 trillion cap. That's bigger than Apple.

Yep but Bitcoin is more like something like Gold. It's a currency.

100k isn't impossible but I've 70k in mind for this next tipping point.

First sell order at 90k for me.

If we retreat 90% before getting there, so be it. Will continue accumulating at a slower rate.

• Advertisement

There was a poll recently where 100k seemed to the magic number for a lot of people. I find it hard to imagine a lot of long time holders won't start selling off much earlier than that though. Hopefully we'll get the chance to find out!

We are well used to 10% drops or rises now, sometimes in a single candle. When it is 900 Euro dips it is still panicky.

If we are at 100k and it drops 10k in one 15min candle it will be very difficult not to panic sell.

We are well used to 10% drops or rises now, sometimes in a single candle. When it is 900 Euro dips it is still panicky.

If we are at 100k and it drops 10k in one 15min candle it will be very difficult not to panic sell.

That's what I was thinking, people who have a couple or more Bitcoin alone, not even including alts, will see their portfolios bouncing up and down thousands, possibly even 10k, every few hours or even minutes. It will actually be a ridiculous thing to try and observe rationally. Checking it during the day at work will be seriously distracting anyway when you start daydreaming about the possibility of just selling it. This is why it's best to take the time to genuinely think of an exit strategy now, while it's still calm, and adjust it accordingly whenever the time approaches. But to be honest, because of the 33% CGT I won't be considering selling for a long time because I'd like to relocate elsewhere to avoid that, unless they reduce it to 10-12.5% which would be perfect

Agreed re exit strategy.

Do one up now and stick to it regardless.

I'll never fully exit however.

BTC scraped 20k after a 3 year bear, with world headlines (1k, 10k, 15k), and a ridiculous amount of FOMO (now it hits 10k USD and barely a mention). There are so many burnt and bitter people, a huge amount of 10k+ bags. I think 15k to 20k is possible within the next 2 years but would be very surprised to top 20k by any decent margin.

Likewise, if Eth were ever to approach 1k again, there would be serious bag dumping. Anecdotally, quite a few I know who (despite best efforts to stop them) bought at 700 to 1000 with money they couldn't afford to lose will be dumping it as soon as it reaches those figures, I would suspect there are many out there in similar situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Arrival wrote: »
    But to be honest, because of the 33% CGT I won't be considering selling for a long time because I'd like to relocate elsewhere to avoid that, unless they reduce it to 10-12.5% which would be perfect

Yes - both the rate and the way CGT gets triggered for individual investors is a serious issue in this country particularly for assets which are suitable for regular buying and selling such as crypto and stocks (It feels like our CGT rules are only suitable for assets you tend to hold for very long term such as property).

I wouldn’t mind the rate if there was a way to only trigger the tax when you actually take cash out of your trading activity. For exemple I know in France individuals can open a special trading account which consists of a restricted cash account and a stocks/funds holding account. And as long as no money comes out of this fiscal wrapper you can transact all you want between the assets offered by your broker and cash in the restricted account without triggering a taxable event. I.e. if you sell stocks and make a profit but leave that money on the restricted cash account whereby it can be used for future stocks purchases but can’t be spent in any other way, you don’t pay any tax). It is only when you withdraw cash from that special account to your regular current account that you trigger CGT (and at a reduced rate if you have held your investment account for more than 8 year). If we had something like this and if it could include crypto, our high CGT rate would be much easier to accept and wouldn’t prevent people from regularly selling and buying as you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

BTC ****ting the bed...flash crashing at $9917...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Would love things to shít the bed a LOT more, had my sights set on €100 ETH but it never transpired. That's a 60% drop now, seems so far away.

BTC ****ting the bed...flash crashing at $9917...

these happen every now & again...am expecting more and more as it inches upwards

you cant have 10-12 green candle days without a dump every now & again

I'd say it flushed out a few longs already today...

I had sold half an ETH at 140 so had 70 Euro sitting in the account for weeks. Take a wild guess when I bought some ETH :)

#Slt mooning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

You're all assuming it'll behave the same at 100,00 if it ever got there.

Are we on the way down to fill the CME gap at around $8500?

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Are we on the way down to fill the CME gap at around $8500?

Hopefully

Make or break time (my own chart)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement